Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

census advice please Updated

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Clare

Clare Report 22 Jan 2008 16:06

Hi could someone please try and find this man in Sussex on the 1901 census please.
Albert Baker
Birth Westhampnett 2b 375 Mar Q 1897
Marriage Thakeham 2b 713 Jun Q 1918
29th June 1918 Amberley Parish Church to a Bertha Ivy Boswell says his father is also an Albert Baker.
Death Chichester 5h 1596 Sep Q 1972
Have lookd at the index for 1901 and think there are two possibilities one born forestside, Stoughton the other Shoreham both seem a little too far out to be registered Westhampnett but who knows.
With thanks for any help
Clare

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 22 Jan 2008 16:10

Are you 100% certain that the birth reg'n is the same chap as the one who married in 1918?

What does the marriage cert list as his father's occupation?

Reg

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 22 Jan 2008 16:11

1901 has four Albert Bakers born 1897 in Sussex.........none has a father named Albert

Reg

Joan

Joan Report 22 Jan 2008 16:14

Did Albert's father have a middle name? Because the records that you are referring to, the father's name is not Albert.

Joan

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 22 Jan 2008 16:15

On 1901 census, there are four Albert Bakers born 1897 with father named Albert........none in Sussex.

Reg

Joan

Joan Report 22 Jan 2008 16:16

Here are three possibilities with the father's name Albert in 1901.

Record

Albert James Baker Albert James,
Elizabeth abt 1891 Worthing, Sussex, England Son Worthing, Sussex
View Record

Albert R Baker Albert,
Clara F abt 1891 St Leonards On Sea, Surrey, England Son St Mary Magdalene, Sussex
View Record

Albert V Baker Albert V,
Jane abt 1900 Brighton, Sussex, England Son Brighton, Sussex

Clare

Clare Report 22 Jan 2008 16:17

Hi Reg,
I am as certain as I can be I know the marriage is right as I have all my fathers siblings baptisms. On the Marriage cert it says he was of the parish of Singleton aged 21 she was of Amberley also aged 21 My mother knew within a 2 year period where and when he died so believe this is the right death. This ties in age wise with this birth.
Clare

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 22 Jan 2008 16:21

The marriage only says where he was living at the time...doesn't mean he was born there. WW1 caused a lot of re-location............

Who were the witnesses?

And.......again...what was his father's occuaption?

It was the birth I queried............I think you may have jumped to conclusions.............as I don't think you have the cert!

Reg

Clare

Clare Report 22 Jan 2008 16:32

Hi Reg,
I only have the marriage at the moment and yes I have guessed the birth purely because it ties in neatly with the death and the age on the marriage cert. He was a Bricklayer and a Tinker/Hawker. I don't think it said what his fathers job was. Will try and find it in a minute.
Clare
Witnesses were Edwin Boswell thats Bertha's father and someone else unreadable but am certain not a Baker.

Clare

Clare Report 22 Jan 2008 16:41

Hi Joan,
Thanks for the suggestions but I don't have a clue how I would know if any of them are the right ones either. I know he lived in Singleton, Sidlesham and Midhurst during his lifetime but thats all.
Clare

Clare

Clare Report 22 Jan 2008 19:14

I can't find the marriage at the moment but will be in the records office again tomorrow so will double check in the parish registers but I don't recall the fathers occupation being on there. If it's not where do I go from here as even if I order all the certs for an Albert Baker born about 1896/1898 how will I know if any of them are the right ones. For all I know he could have lied about his age at the marriage. Bertha and Albert had children with names that did not come from the Boswell side of the family as I have them back to 1806 Don't worry Reg I do have all the parish register births, marriages, Census for these. I just haven't done anything with my Baker's as I was finding them to difficult. They were called Albert,Jack, Constance, and Alan I can only think to look on the census to see If these tie in with any Albert's in the census and they then used them for their children. Other than that I haven't a clue what else I can do.
Clare
Just found a piece of paper with my notes taken off the parish reg for the marriage and if I had to take a guess of what it said the other witness was I would say L. Cpl H Ruff which doesn't mean anything to me although I know there were a number of Ruff's living in Amberley. This piece of paper doesn't have fathers occupation on it either so am not convinced it was there but will double check in the morning. Would be gratefull if anyone has any other suggestions where I can go from here. I'm in the records office at least once a week so it's not a problem to look things up my problem is I don't know how, even if I find Alberts baptised in sussex that I will know whether or not it's mine.
Hi Reg do you know if any of the Alberts born 1897 who had a father Albert were in Hampshire as the only other places I remember my father ever talking about were Waterlooville, Cowplain, Denmead, and Horndean. But I don't recall what the connection was with these areas and he is no longer alive to ask.

Clare

Clare Report 22 Jan 2008 20:02

Hoping for some advice
Clare

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 22 Jan 2008 22:21

Hi Clare

I widened the scope of the search to births in 1897 +/- 1yr, with father Albert

These are the results:

Albert Baker Albert,
Fanny abt 1896 Bramdean, Hampshire, England Son Bramdean, Hampshire

Albert Baker Albert,
Harriet abt 1898 Portsmouth, Hampshire, England Son Portsmouth, Hampshire

Albert Baker Albert,
Harriet abt 1898 Leicestershire, England Son Leicester Formerly St Mary, Leicestershire

Albert Baker Albert,
Lilly abt 1897 Camberwell, London, England Son Newington, London

Albert Baker Albert,
Emma abt 1898 Deptford, London, England Son Rotherhithe, London

Albert Baker Albert,
Emily abt 1897 Doncaster, Yorkshire, England Son Doncaster, Yorkshire

This assumes that the father was alive in 1901..........

Reg

Clare

Clare Report 23 Jan 2008 08:18

Hi Reg,
Sorry I meant to delete one word from the above message and managed to delete the whole lot. Thanks for the above info. I am just going to do the school run and then pop into the records office to double check that marriage for a fathers occupation. Will get back to the thread this afternoon and let you know if I find one even though I don't recall there being one, as I can't seem to find my copy of the parish reg but then again my filing system is terrible!
With thanks for your help.
Clare

Clare

Clare Report 23 Jan 2008 15:04

Hi everyone, just got back from the records office the box where the fathers occupation should go is empty. Thats obviously why I've left it so long to try and do anything with him it looks like its going to be almost impossible. Short of systematically reseaching all the Albert Baker's with a father called albert born around 1897 and ruling them out I don't think I can move on with this one unless anybody has any other ideas.
Clare

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 23 Jan 2008 15:09

The other possible scenario is that the father's name was 'dreamed up' for the sake of propriety...........

Reg

Clare

Clare Report 23 Jan 2008 15:15

Hi Reg,
Well maybe who knows but that doesn't really help me. The one that you believed was the census for the birth I have in Westhampnett didn't happen to have any siblings called Constance, Jack, George, or Allan did it?
Clutching at straws here I know.
Clare

Clare

Clare Report 5 Feb 2008 20:06

Update
Hi,
Been back to the records office today have found my Albert's baptism which confirms that his father was Albert his mother Rose. He was baptised in Singleton on the 7th February 1897 it says his date of birth was 4th January 1897 which ties in with what my mum thought she always said his birthday was the 1st week in January. They were living in Appuldram, Sussex at the time of his baptism Father Albert was a Labourer. I believe his Mum dies in the same Q he is born in Westhampnett registration district. There are No Albert Baker's dieing between this baptism and the 1901 census and yet I still can't find them. I can only find 2 likely deaths at all for my Albert the Father one in the sep Q 1902 In Westhampnett and one in the Dec Q 1918 in Midhurst. The most likely marriage for them is in the Sep Q 1891 Midhurst 2b 695. This is for a Rose Phillips. If your Mum died and you were a matter of weeks old where would you have likely to have gone in 1897.
Many thanks for any suggestions.
Clare

Clare

Clare Report 5 Feb 2008 21:20

n

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 5 Feb 2008 22:15

If no relatives were able to look after the child, he could been taken in as a 'nurse child'..........

Reg