Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Mystery

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Adam

Adam Report 4 Jan 2011 22:06

I am trying to find any birth record of Isabel tickner. Her Death certificate does state that she was born on the 5th Febuary 1909 In epsom surrey. We have never been able to find any official documentaion of her birth. We have 2 marriage certificates and her death certificate. However these also show a variation in the spelling of her name (Isobel,Isabe), and finally Isabell which she signed herself second marriage certificate. It seems somebody else signed her first Marriage certificate. She died 28th December 1989 In hereford as Mrs Isobel Sprankling (from her second marriage). Her first Married Name being Pratt. Her Fathers Name was Harry Tickner, I am unable to find her mother first name or maiden name to go with this. As with many people she was rarely adressed by Isobel, and was often called Granny Bella.

Hopefully this isnt all too confusing.

Any help on this matter would be great.

Thanks for your time

Adam Brooks :)

Adam

Adam Report 4 Jan 2011 22:23

I will chack this. However I think there was a strong probability she was born in 1909. She Had a daughter Anne in may 1934 roughly a year after she married in 1933. If this is any further help to anyone. Thanks for your research Janet :)

Adam

Adam Report 4 Jan 2011 22:25

I have just spotted the age oat when she married which was 24. So it must have been 1909. There just doesnt seem to be any records anywhere!:(

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 4 Jan 2011 22:28

did she have any siblings?

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 4 Jan 2011 22:33

I can't find her on the 1911 census. The only Harry Tinkner I can see in Epsom Surrey on the 1911 census is a 28 year old unmarried boarder with the Buckley family.

Kath. x

Julie

Julie Report 4 Jan 2011 22:34

Have you picked her up on the 1911

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 4 Jan 2011 22:35

Have you tried the register office or records office in Surrey in case the birth was missed off the copy sent to the GRO?

Kath. x

Ozibird

Ozibird Report 4 Jan 2011 22:38

What about this?

1911:
TICHENER HARRY OLIVER M 1878 33 Epsom Surrey

Mike *

Mike * Report 4 Jan 2011 22:38

The marriage for the parents of the Isabel above is totally nowewhere near where Isabel was born

Marriages Mar 1912 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Akeroyd Emily - Tickner Whitby 9d 644
Tickner Frederick - Akeroyd Whitby 9d 644

Ozibird

Ozibird Report 4 Jan 2011 22:42

Perhaps not.

Marriages Sep 1915
Fry Daisy A E Tichener Portsmouth 2b 1427
Tichener Harry O Fry Portsmouth 2b 1427 <<<<<<<<
Watts Alice M Wilson Portsmouth 2b 1427
Wilson Horace H E Watts Portsmouth 2b 1427

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 4 Jan 2011 22:42

Mike .Isabel's father was Harry Tickner

Adam

Adam Report 4 Jan 2011 22:55

Thats right Harry Tickner was her father. There are no records of her mother that I can find!

Adam

Adam Report 4 Jan 2011 22:57

The register office and records office also seem to struggle to find any details aswell!!!!

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 4 Jan 2011 22:58

Is it possible that she was born illegitimate and registered with her mother's maiden name and then took on Harry Tickner's surname when her mother married/lived with Harry?

Kath. x

Julie

Julie Report 4 Jan 2011 22:59

Have you come across a middle name for her

Mike *

Mike * Report 4 Jan 2011 22:59

Shirley you're right, I was just looking up the marriage for Tickner/Akeroyd after Janet posted a birth for Isabel Tickner with mother mn Akeroyd.

Clearly it's not the right family, but was just surprised that the 2 events were so far apart in the same year.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 4 Jan 2011 23:02

Just a thought Adam, how old were her husbands when she married?

Reason for asking is that the age given on a marriage certificate shouldn't be taken as gospel. I've come across a few cases where people have "adjusted" their ages on marriage certificates to close an age gap with their spouse.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 4 Jan 2011 23:05

You are certainly right about that MarieCeleste. There was a 19 year age gap between my maternal grandparents. However on their marriage certificate it gives the impression there was only a gap of 11 years. She added 5 years to her age and he knocked 3 years off his!!!!

Kath. x

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 4 Jan 2011 23:14

Isabel's born early 1909
Births Mar 1909

Hunt Isabel Dennis Epsom 2a 14

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Births Jun 1909

Clements Isabelle Frances Epsom 2a 37
DAVIS Isabella F Epsom 2a 36a

Adam

Adam Report 4 Jan 2011 23:21

It looks as though there was is a strong reason to believe that tickner was not her born name. I have just found out she had 3 step siblings Charlotte and william Neal. And also Lisa, but I do not know here maiden name.However Her name now is Lisa Noon. Charlottes married name is collins. It looks as though the age of isobel marriage certificate was changed, as suggested by Kathleen post.. Acorrding to my resources Isobel mother died young and she was raised by her aunt and uncle, (her mothers sister) who I believe is called isabel and George Bassett.

Going back to the posts about age on the marriage certificate. Henry James Pratt was 30!

Hope this info helps. Thank you for all the help guys.I dont think we are to far off solving the mystery here :) Any further info will be great. I will keep digging through some of the details I have been given.