Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

In search of Some Fun, dob unknown

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 19 Nov 2010 22:03

Add a post here.

Then, before doing anything else, click on "Trying to Find" in the boards list.

See where you are!

Feel free to try your own!

Whatever you type in the "surname line" becomes a surname, and gets a board of its own.

That is what is messing up so many threads here -- people have, as someone said, written novels in the "surname line", and the url for their threads simply doesn't work.

If ever an example was needed of the pointlessness of the surname line ...

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 19 Nov 2010 22:05

Ha ha. I posted twice. The first time, I just got the same black screen you'll probably get.

I think it's becuase there were spaces and/or a question mark in my surname line:

Wanna Have Some Fun?

I changed it to WannaHaveSomeFun and it worked.

Now I can't delete the other one ...

mac

mac Report 19 Nov 2010 22:09

Duplicate thread - you should know better!!

Who's idea was this change, I thought change was always supposted to be for the better?

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 19 Nov 2010 22:14

Yeah, well you try clicking on the other one, mac. ;)

(I like that. Hey mac. Whaddaya think you're lookin at, mac?)

This site is a total hash at the moment. And I doubt anybody's going to be getting double time to fix it over the weekend.

Flick

Flick Report 19 Nov 2010 22:18

Typical GR................they don't test their so-called improvements before they roll them out to the folk who pay for the 'privilege' of coping with the shambles.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 19 Nov 2010 22:26

The thing is, the site is under New Management of the sort who really ought to have a clue what it's doing.

I'm not even bothering to read threads, let alone try helping, really.

You can't navigate within a thread once you've posted in it (using the little page numbers in boxes) ... unless you figure out how to restore the right URL.

You get sent to weird and wonderful TTF "surname boards" once you've posted in a thread.

Threads appear that are inaccessible because the info from the surname line is being replicated in the URL and it breaks it ...

Hideous incompetence.

mac

mac Report 19 Nov 2010 22:32

Yes, it's a really great improvement, not! Good if you want an instant surname filter if you look at a thread though. Even better when I look at your other thread and crash the computer trying to get out.

Does anyone other than the helpers & new "gold staries" even work at the weekend?

Thought I left the stars behind when school finished.

Renes

Renes Report 19 Nov 2010 22:34

We will be OK look at what Brightsolid axcell at !!!!

brightsolid is a leading provider of IT and online publishing services, with two divisions; online publishing and online technologies.
brightsolid online technologies delivers business critical managed hosting, connectivity,

****************** disaster recovery **********************************

and business continuity services from its state of the art, highly secure tier 3+ data centre.
brightsolid online publishing has significant expertise in the digitisation and management of historical records in a fast growing online market. It manages scotlandspeople.gov.uk, a partnership with the General Register Office for Scotland, the National Archives of Scotland and the Court of the Lord Lyon, and the 1911census.co.uk in partnership with the National Archives. brightsolid also own and manages findmypast.com an online family history site. Findmypast.com was the first website to put the complete birth, marriage and death indexes for England and Wales online. brightsolid also publishes the online magazine “Discover My Past Scotland”.

Irene

mac

mac Report 19 Nov 2010 22:37

Oh S***, what have they got into? Don't like the idea of disaster recovery, think I'll export my gedcom now!

Contrary Mary

Contrary Mary Report 19 Nov 2010 22:40

Janey

If you change the last digit of this thread number from 3 to 2 it will take you in to your 1st thread with this title.

Don't know if you'll be able to delete though.....have they taken away the delete post function?

Mary

Edit: Ah, no, they've just changed the edit/rr/delete buttons to the top of the post instead of the bottom.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 19 Nov 2010 22:56

I'm obviously thick I'm not understanding this one little bit - think I'll have a lie down in a darkened room!!!!

Mike *

Mike * Report 19 Nov 2010 23:48

No fun at all.

Taken me hours to get a post submitted.
Sick of the sight of the "Error" message

jax

jax Report 19 Nov 2010 23:51

Take out of the gumph you have in the surname line Mike

jax

Mike *

Mike * Report 20 Nov 2010 00:01

Can't take out anything.
Every time I click edit it comes up with the error message

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 20 Nov 2010 02:18

I can Request Review my own posting now

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 20 Nov 2010 02:21

I hadn't realised what happened, and what you were on about, until just now

..... because I've been using my computer's Back button to get back to the "beginning", then clicking on the board I want to be on

Need some more postings on the Wannahavesomefun board!

sylvia

Quoy

Quoy Report 20 Nov 2010 04:51

Morning
If I have this thread up and I click on the surname Surname information
it takes me to wannahavesomefun
now I am on Trying to find board also

will I be answering my own questions ?

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 20 Nov 2010 04:56

probably Quoy

but then is that like talking to yourself?

at least you might get some intelligent answers!

sylvia

Quoy

Quoy Report 20 Nov 2010 05:05

Goodness me I completely lost my self then

How about a new board

LOST

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 20 Nov 2010 05:26

lol!

Janey's been complaining about that all day ...... she found a "newbie" who was stuck in Surnames for hours