Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Does anyone know Sheffield please?

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rebecca

Rebecca Report 5 Jun 2011 16:51

hello there, i have been looking at a recent copy of some family in the 1911 census who were living in court 4 , number 4 solferino street,sheffield. I have tried to google this but i am having no luck .Was this back to back housing in sheffield, does the road still exsist and was this area a slum area please? To be honest anthing you may know about this area would be helpful please,.thank you so much, Rebecca

nuttybongo

nuttybongo Report 5 Jun 2011 17:14

It says on the internet that a health club stands in its place and that it was near the junction of Cemetery road. See if you google cemetery road.

Rebecca

Rebecca Report 5 Jun 2011 17:27

Thank you so much, i will do that.

mgnv

mgnv Report 5 Jun 2011 21:21

It was one block east of Summerfield St.

Go to http://www.old-maps.co.uk/index.html and search for the coords 434500,386100
Click on the red dot
To the right, select the 1890 Town Plans.
The orange "enhanced zoom" at lower left brings up panning arrows.

Rebecca

Rebecca Report 5 Jun 2011 22:12

Thank you both for these links. i have been out this evening and just returned. Colin I have pm'd you.Have a great week! x

mgnv

mgnv Report 5 Jun 2011 23:16

If you increase the easting and search for 434600,386100 you can see court #4

Rebecca

Rebecca Report 5 Jun 2011 23:43

Thank you very much.

Annina

Annina Report 6 Jun 2011 15:18

Hi Rebecca,I live in Sheffield,have just looked in my modern A-Z and Solferino St is still there,I believe that in the 19th cent it would have been called the Ecclesall,Bierlow area,now S11.

Most of my rellies came from there. :-D

Rebecca

Rebecca Report 7 Jun 2011 18:58

Hi Annina,thank you for letting me know, Rebecca.

Gee

Gee Report 7 Jun 2011 20:40

I live in Ecclesall Sheffield and have never heard of that street. Are you sure you are reading it right?

Of course there are streets that I may never have heard of as Sheffield is the fourth largest city!

The housing has changed over the years....thank goodess but the back to backs around that area tended to be the Crofts....Hollis, White etc

Edit: Just asked four other friends if they had heard of that street....nope.

Lower Ecclesall Beirlow was not a great area and is still not, but its not classed as Ecclesall any longer.

Just a thought....you do mean Sheffield, England?

Rebecca

Rebecca Report 7 Jun 2011 21:07

Thank you Ginny, i have read it from the 1911 census and when i google it , it does mention the street apparently where the health/gym centre is now on cemetary road. I have another thread at the moment asking for help finding a birth for Bertha Shepherd,would you be able to help me at all please, do you have any aceess to parish records please. If not please dony worry ,its just at the moment i am not ordering some certs as its for a friend of mine and not me. Thank you for your help.Rebecca

Gee

Gee Report 7 Jun 2011 21:12

Greens Gym is on Cemetery Road...I drive past on my way to work every day, but the crofts are not really that area

Can you post the census as I dont have access to the 1911...maybe post it on Genes FaceBook page?

Rebecca

Rebecca Report 7 Jun 2011 21:31

Thank you Ginny, i have pmd you. Also the link mgnv above gave me shows me to where it is,you may know that area. Rebecca

Gee

Gee Report 7 Jun 2011 21:36

What about Solly St?

Gee

Gee Report 7 Jun 2011 22:19

From my cousin

Solferino
130 Cemetery Road, S11
Open 1948 Closed Span
Comments
Earlier
... 1948 Henry Staniforth
This was a pub

Gee

Gee Report 7 Jun 2011 22:46

Here you go from my cousin

There was a boozer (he means pub!) at 130 Cemetery Rd, it was named the Solferino. I imagine it would have been near the Serafino St junction. The street no longer exsists. 1763 was the bullet reference in the piece I pasted, it refers to Serafino St. Does that help. x

mgnv

mgnv Report 8 Jun 2011 01:13

In 1881, it's mistranscribed as Solferinis The previous household is the Crown Inn on Summerfield Rd.

1881 Household:
Name Relation Marital Status Gender Age Birthplace Occupation Disability
Joseph F. BENNETT Head M Male 28 Calver, Derby, England Striker At Works (Patent Rule)
Mary BENNETT Wife M Female 24 Sheffield, York, England
Thomas BENNETT Son Male 4 Sheffield, York, England
Emily BENNETT Dau Female 5 m Sheffield, York, England
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source Information:
Dwelling 1 Solfernis St
Census Place Ecclesall Bierlow, York, England
Family History Library Film 1342119
Public Records Office Reference RG11
Piece / Folio 4635 / 27
Page Number 47

mgnv

mgnv Report 8 Jun 2011 01:18

Just out of interest:

1881 Household:
Name Relation Marital Status Gender Age Birthplace Occupation Disability
Joseph GREAVES Head M Male 39 Sheffield, York, England File Cutler
Mary GREAVES Wife M Female 36 Shefield, York, England
Joseph GREAVES Son U Male 16 Sheffield, York, England Gardener Dom Serv
William GREAVES Son Male 13 Sheffield, York, England Errand Boy
Arthur GREAVES Son Male 5 Sheffield, York, England Scholar
Beatrice GREAVES Dau Female 3 Sheffield, York, England
Harry GREAVES Son Male 1 Sheffield, York, England
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source Information:
Dwelling 4 Solfernis St Ct 4
Census Place Ecclesall Bierlow, York, England
Family History Library Film 1342119
Public Records Office Reference RG11
Piece / Folio 4635 / 28
Page Number 49

Rebecca

Rebecca Report 8 Jun 2011 07:25

Thank you both of you for all your help on this one, as i dont know the area at ll, i live in Devon, it has really helped me!!! If i can return the favour with help in Devon please do give me a shout! Rebecca

Annina

Annina Report 14 Jun 2011 18:43

On my modern map;

Solferino St is a small road linking Napier St and Cemetery Rd quite near the bottom of Ecclesall Rd,area also called Little Sheffield.

I believe that there is a big supermarket just below it now.