Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Marriage Transcripts

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 6 Oct 2011 09:10

Hello, I am trying to find my Great-Great Grandmothers maiden name, I have found the Marriage Transcript from when she and my Great-Great Grandfather married but it doesnt have the maiden name, does anybody have any tips on how I can find this out?

Thanks
Lisa

Joy

Joy Report 6 Oct 2011 09:18

Do you mean the registration of the marriage? Sometimes one can only know the maiden name by purchasing the certificate. Would you care to give the details?

Unknown

Unknown Report 6 Oct 2011 09:23

yes thats what I mean, do you know if you can obtain a copy of the marriage certificate, if you only know the month of the marriage? His name was Samuel Benjamin Cooper, and Married Isabella/Isabel, in April 1890, and they where both born in 1870, the married took place in Prestwich Manchester.

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 6 Oct 2011 09:26

Buy certificate online from www,gro.gov.uk It will cost £9.25 including postage. Quote the reference numbers Vol 8d Page 499

Marriages Jun 1890 (>99%)
Cooper Samuel Prestwich 8d 499
POVEY Isabella Prestwich 8d 499

Joy

Joy Report 6 Oct 2011 09:27

There you go - Jonesey has kindly found it for you :)
(registration probably from free BMD)

Unknown

Unknown Report 6 Oct 2011 09:31

wow thank you so much guys! this will really help me with my search :)

Flick

Flick Report 6 Oct 2011 10:06

Put the following in your favourites................

http://www.lancashirebmd.org.uk/

If you have Lancs relatives, you'll find it invaluable.

Was this what you found????

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you'd clicked on the PAGE number, you'd have found the other names......viz

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OGDEN Sarah Frances Prestwich 8d 499
POVEY Isabella Prestwich 8d 499
TAYLOR Walter Prestwich 8d 499

As you know his wife's first name, it's easy to determine which of the females Samuel married

Hope this proves helpful for future searches...............

Flick

Flick Report 6 Oct 2011 10:08

Just for info......the Lancsbmd version of the marriage

Lancashire Marriage indexes for the years: 1890
Surname Forename(s) Surname Forename(s) Church / Register Office Registers At Reference
COOPER Samuel POVEY Isabella Manchester, Bradford, Christ Church Manchester 33/5/226

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 6 Oct 2011 13:20

if you click on this link you will see an image of the parish register which will save you buying a marriage certificate

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-266-12580-48141-20?cc=1788853&wc=10932342
(Samuel age 19, Isabella age 20)

It was virtually the last one registered in the qtr! - June 30th

Unknown

Unknown Report 6 Oct 2011 15:41

Thanks so much everyone, I only posted on here as a long shot hoping someone could help and you have all been incredibly helpful, although I signed up to the site years ago I am still a novice at this sort of stuff, so your help has been greatly appreciated, I am also looking for information on Vincent Cooper born 27th sept 1910 (this is my grandfather) if anyone could help with that, that would be super! (am I pushing my luck now haha :)

Janet

Janet Report 6 Oct 2011 16:02

He is on the 1911 census if you send me your email address by personal message I can send it to you

jan

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 6 Oct 2011 16:12

did you manage to see that marriage record?

Unknown

Unknown Report 6 Oct 2011 16:24

HI there, I already have a copy of the 1911 census, its information after that I need really we recently found out that he was married before he married my Nan so thats what I am interested in, I am not sure how to use this family search website, i have a record of what i think is my great grandmother and possibly grandfathers marriage (we arent sure if this man is his father as she wasnt married when my grandfather was born so he was adopted by his grandparents) this is the details on the record how would i find this on the family search website?

Name Mary A Cooper
Year of Marriage 1920
Quarter of Marriage Jul-Aug-Sep
Registration District Prestwich
Registration County Lancashire
Spouse's Surname Young
Volume Number 8D
Volume Page 906

thanks again guys

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 6 Oct 2011 16:28

The marriage cert will give you his marital status on marriage ,but you will have to buy the cert to see the info .

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 6 Oct 2011 17:43

Shirley - if you mean Samuel & Isabella marriage certificate it is not needed as the link I gave is an exact image of the parish register

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 6 Oct 2011 17:47

unfortunately this church is not on the Lancashire transcription site

Lancashire Marriage indexes for the years: 1920
Surname Forename(s) Surname Forename(s) Church / Register Office Registers At Reference
COOPER Mary Alice YOUNG William Manchester, St. Catharine Manchester 87/3/387

Unknown

Unknown Report 6 Oct 2011 18:06

thanks for that, I had found the wrong person, she was called Mary Ann Cooper not Alice, do you have any tips for finding baptism records, like the marriage one you showed me? My Grandfather (Vincent) may have been baptised in the same church his grandparents married in.

Unknown

Unknown Report 6 Oct 2011 19:13

Sorry I keep asking for help everyone, just wondering if anyone could help me find the census record for Samuel Cooper, for 1871 or 1881, his year of birth is approx 1870 and his fathers name is John Cooper and he was a bricksetter/layer (cant read the old handwriting)

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 6 Oct 2011 23:03

I can't find him in 1881

His father on that marriage record is a bricksetter - if you zoom in on the image it is easier to read

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 6 Oct 2011 23:17

from your post above

"we arent sure if this man is his father as she wasnt married when my grandfather was born so he was adopted by his grandparents"

does that mean you have identified him on the 1911 census? Do you have Vincent's birth certificate, if so please could you give us the details?

Also I am puzzled as to where the name Samuel Benjamin came from as in all the info we have found he does not have a middle name