Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Computer help - British Newspaper archive

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gai

Gai Report 29 Dec 2011 21:55

Has anyone else tried to save a page of the Newspaper Archive on GR to their computer?

When I try to save a page by right clicking the mouse the options you have is to save as a web page only or save as a html page or a text file. Then when I try to open the save image I get a message to say that adobe can't open it.

I have managed to bookmark the page which I have been able to go back to but I think it's odd you can't save or print an article like you can the census images.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Gai

Gee

Gee Report 30 Dec 2011 11:01

Im not sure which software you have but I have Office 2007/Vista

I right click on the image and select 'save picture as'....works every time

Edit: It saves to Windows Photo Viewer automatically

x

Ken2

Ken2 Report 30 Dec 2011 14:50

See my thread: New British Library old Newpaper archive, last posting 18 Dec 2011 06:20 by SylviaInCanada.

Downloading a page from the BL Archive gives you an unreadable pdf image.

The only way I found to save a readable one was to enlarge the story on the page and then use the Print Screen function on my laptop which copies what is shown the screen, and then pasting this into an image software program - I use PaintShop Pro. You can then save the image form there as a jpg. For a long story you have to keep repeating the process as you scrolll down the newpaper page.

Other GR members may have more techno knowledge and suggest a better way!

Carole

Carole Report 30 Dec 2011 16:15

Ken I have been doing the same as you. I have printed mine rather than save

JerryH

JerryH Report 30 Dec 2011 17:19

Is that the same database that is now on Genes?
See
http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/blog.page/genes-reunited-blog/archive/2011/12/20/british-newspaper-archive

I do not have Platinum, but have given it a quick search for Obituaries that I had expected to find in the Worcestershire area - but no joy.
This despite the fact that the individuals were sufficiently well off that their Wills appear in the National Archives collection of PCC Wills.

Gai

Gai Report 31 Dec 2011 04:18

Thanks for the advice Ken and I'll give it a go.

I can still access the page I have bookmarked but it seems an awful lot of trouble to go to just to have a copy of an article.

Gins, I'm using Microsoft Office but still running XP so maybe that's why I can't save the image the same way you can. I know that I can save from GR because I have saved heaps of census images to my computer before.

Jeremy, it is the database on GR that I'm having problems with.

Thanks everyone for your replies and Happy New Year to you all.

Gai

JerryH

JerryH Report 31 Dec 2011 04:43

Thanks Gai

I thought as much.

Ken I think was talking about
http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/

But as it seems that both this and that site are owned by BrightSolid .......... :-) :-P ;-)

But seriously, my concern is that if one does not have Platinum membership, or gives it up in the future, or if I buy using credits, then I would want to know that I will still be able to access the record again without further charge in the future if I am unable to download a copy in readable format.

Jeremy

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 31 Dec 2011 05:35

Jeremy

I believe that you will not be bale to access any records that you have previously accessed while a Platinum member if you give up that membership in the future.

You MUST save everything you may want to refer to in the future to your own computer!

sylvia

JerryH

JerryH Report 31 Dec 2011 05:50

Sylvia

Exactly !!

........ but if you can't download the image to your computer .......

It seems the only way is to take screen shots as Ken described which is far from satisfactory in my humble opinion.

I don;t have Platinum so I doubt that I would even attempt to buy on credits without some assurance or satisactory download facility

Jeremy

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 31 Dec 2011 06:15

Jeremy

That is one reason why I get my records only from the original 1911Census site, the one that was available about 6 months before FMP carried the records

Any record that you have used credits to open are automatically saved on the site, and remain there even after you have run out of credits.

I saved (easily!!) all that concerned my family to my own computer, but there were a few I looked at that were not who I thought they would be ................ I have gone back and checked one or two of those in the light of other information discovered in the last 2 years.

I do have Ancestry, and can now access the 1911 Census on that site

I can, if I want to, buy more credits on the 1911 to open further records, if I deem it necessary ......... and that is what I will do if it seems that saving from Ancestry is difficult or impossible.

For much of the time since FMP began carrying the 1911, many people went back to the 1911Census site because their search engine was much much better than FMP's ................. and this of course will also apply to GR because they carry FMP's records, they haven't done their own transcribing!

Once the record is found on the 1911Census site, and note taken of data shown, it is then possible to go back to FMP and find the people on there.

sylvia

JerryH

JerryH Report 31 Dec 2011 07:12

I am not sure I understand you Sylvia.
I thought we were talking about the new Newspaper Archive that is now available on Genes. Not the 1911 Census.

Bur, yes I use the 1911 site a lot too

It cost me a lot of money to get all the records I needed for my One Name Study and am glad I can still get to them, albeit I also took paper copies.........just in case!

My only wish is that Genes would adopt a similar policy in maintaining access to Newspaper Archive Records already viewed and paid for . . . .particularly as they appear to have made it impossible to download them.

Perhaps this will serve as a warning to others who may be tempted?
. :-)

Gai

Gai Report 31 Dec 2011 08:22

I wonder if not being able to download them was a deliberate ploy to make sure people kept a current membership so they could access the archive.

I know myself I took out a gold membership on GR for 6 months and during that time saved every census I thought could have been my ancestors to my computer. I have no intention of upgrading again on GR as I now have FMP and Ancestry world wide membership.

If GR hadn't of given out these 30 credits for free I wouldn't be trying to access the archive at all. I was just trying to do a lookup for another member and thought I would use these credits so they didn't go to waste.

Gai ;-)

Carole

Carole Report 31 Dec 2011 13:36

Gai what are these free 30 credits did we all get them?

Gee

Gee Report 31 Dec 2011 13:47

Carole

The free credits were given to members a few weeks ago as compensation for the site not working!

I have used them to help other members with the British Newspapers from the GR site too and I cant understand why you are having trouble saving them?

Have you tried right click and save picture as? You need to view the full document before doing this and then right click. Maybe its different software that is the problem?

JerryH

JerryH Report 31 Dec 2011 22:51

I have just tried this using my last 5 credits from the 30 free ones

My experience using Windows XP and IE8 is that yes, Right Click and Save as does work up to a point . . . . .
I tried various options with different levels of zoom and each was defficient.

The Image saved was not the full page and was of a very poor quality resolution that when zoomed to read the full article was unreadable.

So I too had to resort to taking a Screen Shot to save the image satisfactorarily.

Seems much the same experience that Ken had on the other site.

Jeremy

Gai

Gai Report 31 Dec 2011 22:55

Gins,

Happy New Year

I think it's a software issue as I was using the right click function but it won't let me save as a picture.

The options given were save as a web page, text file or html page. So frustrating.

Gai

Carole

Carole Report 5 Jan 2012 15:41

Gai thanks. Didn't know we had free credits!
:-D

Shelma

Shelma Report 6 Jan 2012 18:48

How do we access the free credits as I didn't know either?

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 6 Jan 2012 20:50

Shema

Not everyone got the free credits! You had to have been trying to use the site over a certain period of time, when they were having real problems.

If you look above the dark green band up above, to the right, it says your name, your membership status, then Upgrade ........ after Upgrade it says how many credits you have, if any.

sylvia

Shelma

Shelma Report 7 Jan 2012 18:46

Thanks Sylvia