Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

threads

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

brummie46

brummie46 Report 24 Aug 2012 07:39

Hi, this might seem a silly question but cant seem to find how to delete some of my threads, can anyone kindly how to do it.
thanking you

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 24 Aug 2012 07:49

Not a silly question. Neither can I. :-S

Chrissie2394

Chrissie2394 Report 24 Aug 2012 08:05

HI,

I've just taken a look at a thread I started and another I added a reply to. To the right of my board name, under the word options the facility to edit or delete is there. Alongside the names of other posters is just the word report.

Chris

brummie46

brummie46 Report 24 Aug 2012 08:12

Hi Chrissie, have noted your message, but am i having a double senior moment for still cant see it.

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 24 Aug 2012 08:17

Chrissie

Can see the word delete. So if I press delete in the OP (opening Post?), does that mean the whole thread then disappears? :-S

I will be leaving Genes soon, and suspect others who have started threads have left too without cancelling threads

Chrissie2394

Chrissie2394 Report 24 Aug 2012 08:17

Looking at all four comments on here, on yours and Johns comments, to the right of your board name, ( in the same colour as your name) is the word Report but on my reply are the words Report Edit Delete.

To the right of that is the date and time

Chris

Chrissie2394

Chrissie2394 Report 24 Aug 2012 08:19

Hi John,

From what I understand, if you have started a thread and click delete on your opening post then the whoel thread will be deleted.

However if you have simply added a reply to someone elses thread then only your reply will be deleted.

Chris

Amokavid

Amokavid Report 24 Aug 2012 08:23

Deletion is not as easy as it used to be! If you delete a thread that YOU started it will go away!
But, if you delete a posting you have added to another members thread ONLY your posting goes away!! the thread doesn't!!!

I & others are having a battle with GR at the moment re this problem,with promises of it being sorted but nothing has been done for months!!
Being one of those who likes to clear old postings from threads that are no longer ongoing or have lost their interest it is a right pain not being able to get rid of them completely!!

Joan.

brummie46

brummie46 Report 24 Aug 2012 08:33

Amokavid, thats it!!! that is the question i meant to say.
So are GR doing something about it i ask for its a nightmare if you have ample threads and you want to delete them if not solely connected to your research.
thanks again.

Amokavid

Amokavid Report 24 Aug 2012 08:37

I & others have been emailing GR about it, they have been sending replies saying they have notified the technical team, re the problem,but its MONTHS since it was reported & we continue to be report it, & still the problem exists.

Joan.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 24 Aug 2012 08:51

You must differentiate between 'threads' and 'posts'

You cannot - and never have been able to - delete anything which you did not yourself post

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 24 Aug 2012 09:41

It would be good, I think, if two things could happen:
1. If no posting to a thread for 4 weeks, delele automatically with one weeks notice. That would push thread back to top, and if no response in a week - it goes.
2. Stop all this sticking threads to the top. Some of the stickies would have by now been deleted anyway according to my first suggestion.

Just two thoughts from a newbie. Please be gentle with me :-)

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 24 Aug 2012 09:56

It would be hard to differentiate between threads which could still be useful, and those which aren’t.

For instance, some ‘look up’ threads can be resurrected a few months, or even a year down the line (or referred back to) if the OP has another query about the same or closely related family/topic.

This is just one example

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/858148

The 1st flurry of posts was in 2005, until Laura came along in 2012. BTW, the request has now been completed off board, so don’t go adding to it!

Yes, some of the Stickies could be unpinned, and allowed to slip down the Boards to oblivion when they become outdated. Others are intended to offer guidance to users of the Boards and are still relevant.

Overall, I agree that once you have deleted comments from a thread you’ve posted on, that thread shouldn’t show up in ‘My Threads’.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 24 Aug 2012 10:01

John
I wouldn't be at all happy with those suggestions.

I have old threads that have been here years and although they are 'dormant' they are not dead because I still have not resolved the situation. It seems pointless to revisit a problem and have to explain the situation all over again.

I can just write as a reply on my old thread eg. Still looking for Henry.... and that will bring the thread to the top of the board and everyone can see where people have already looked in an effort to help.

With more data coming online, there is a hope that I will one day find his parents and be able to track back from them.

Not all questions can be quickly answered. I have several 'brickwalls' ... but I plod on with patience.

Gwyn

Amokavid

Amokavid Report 24 Aug 2012 10:12

Reggie.
I know that one cannot delete another persons THREAD! but it USED to be that when I / we deleted our own postings / replies from a members thread that THREAD would no longer show under the "my threads" heading.

edited to add....
The general chat threads don't usually hold important information it's "just" chat,& those threads can stop after just a couple of replies, even those which carry on for a week or so eventually become "uninteresting" so no harm is done if one chooses to have a tidy up & delete their postings after a while.

Joan.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 24 Aug 2012 10:20

So your point, Joan, is not about deleting, but about GR's ineptitude

The original question - as I read it - was about deleting.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 24 Aug 2012 10:43

Sorry, John, but you do not qualify as a 'newbie' ........lol!

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 24 Aug 2012 10:47

My work around is that if I post on a thread and I think I'll want to go back to it at some point in the future then I use the "watch this" tab at the top of the thread (you can use this even if you haven't posted on it)

Instead of wading through all the crud in "My Threads" I just go to "My Watched Threads".

When I'm no longer interested then I just use the "Stop Watching" tab.

Amokavid

Amokavid Report 24 Aug 2012 11:18

Reggie...
Yes the opening post was about deleting & my reply was to explain to Brummie46 about recent deletion problems,which in my opinion from reading the query was that she might be having the same problem as I & many others were experiencing.
Judging by Brummies response to my reply I was right !!!

I ALSO went on to inform Brummie that GR were aware of the problem but so far, after many months, had still not sorted it.

So what was wrong with that?

Joan.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 24 Aug 2012 11:39

It might be worth adding to the new thread created by GR on Suggestions.

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/suggestions/thread/1308919

May be they can re-introduce the ommission in 'my threads' next time they make changes.