Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Which is the best Ancestry or Find my past ?

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Joanie

Joanie Report 29 Sep 2013 23:07

I have saved up and wanted to carry on my search for my family history, about half of my search will be in Lancashire / Liverpool, the other around England...so was asking for advice which one would be best ? have done them before a few years back....so know basic's...so any helpful advice please.

Ciao

Joanie :-)

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 29 Sep 2013 23:48

Have used both but currently only have Ancestry as they have a lot of London and Surrey records which are my main areas of interest

Jane

Jane Report 30 Sep 2013 02:30

If you are serious about family history, you really need both! Bit of a financial pain but some records are more comprehensive on Genes whereas the London ones are best on Ancestry.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 30 Sep 2013 04:19

I have only ancestry, and am very happy with it.

Do you know about lancashire opcs? ie, Online Parish Clerks?

http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/

It is fantastic!

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 30 Sep 2013 09:28

If you have never used either, take out their 14-day free trials, and find out for yourself which you think will be best suited to your needs.

Or simply look at their home pages...................

I remember your name, Joanie........................you were very active on here at one time.

Welcome back............

Elaine

Elaine Report 30 Sep 2013 10:02

Joanne......SylviaInCanada is right..... Lancs OPC is a brilliant site,and free!

One tip....I normally do the quick search,which searches the whole county,using just a name. However,if I have an idea of the right area,I search in Churches in the locality. I have picked up one or two items that I missed on the county listings.

Elaine

Joanie

Joanie Report 30 Sep 2013 10:17

Thank you Folks, yes you have helped me in the past Reggie and got me on the next step , also GilitterBaby has been so helpful......and will look more on Lancashire parish records...After 6 yrs will get my G.Grandpa's birth cert by hook or by crook...LOL.x

Ciao

Joanie x ;-)

Potty

Potty Report 30 Sep 2013 14:15

Ancestry do have images of baptisms and marriages for Liverpool, so that might influence your choice.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 30 Sep 2013 17:05

If he was born pre-1875, there simply may not have been a cert..................

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 30 Sep 2013 18:51

If most of yr research is UK then the best paid one is the Genealogist and it is cheaper than Ay. The G. is much stronger on parish records than Ay. If yr family is spread out all over the globe then Ay World is the only option.

Best value for money is GenesRU Basic no doubt about it.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 1 Oct 2013 07:42

Incidentally, the G subscriptions are subject to strict usage conditions especially when it come to providing look-ups for other researchers, even when done as a favour, unless you purchase a special People-Tracer BMD or Business Plus subscription, which comes at a cost.

...... Providing a look-up service will cause immediate suspension without refund.

Those proven to be using our service to provide a look-up service to others will be liable to a charge of £5 per distinct name for which they have searched and £10 for each result viewed.......

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 1 Oct 2013 09:23

As someone who forks out for a full Ay sub one of my pet hates of GenesRU is the unofficial so called Lookup service of Ay held records.

It is one thing to discuss a family line and possible antecedents, branches, "lost" records due to strange spellings etc etc. It is quite another to just do straightforward look-ups for all and sundry. I know that some people like doing just that but it amounts to copyright violation.

In any case offering "look up service" on GenesRU of records held on Ay ( and other services ) is a violation of T&C for both GenesRU & Ay. I am probably in a minority but I am pleased that action has been taken on this matter.

The the G. has a dim view of third party look-ups should not be a criticism of their service.

If people want to consult Ancestry for free all they have to do is go down to their local public library where it is available at no charge.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 1 Oct 2013 09:40

Ancestry don't seem to be bothered - its free advertising for their site.
GR aren't bothered (unless someone says that Ancestry is better than GR) - the Boards and their 'helpful members' are included in their marketing blurb.

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/tips_board/thread/1322680

GR also recognise that other sites may hold records which they don't.

Not everyone can get to their local library - disability, distance or time available either personally or on the library computers.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 1 Oct 2013 11:44

You are incorrect to say that neither Ay nor GRU care abot unrestricted copying they do which is why "Find Ancestors" has changed so much in the last few years.

Potty

Potty Report 1 Oct 2013 12:50

Actually, Rollo, I don't think Ancestry or any other site owns the copyright to any records, eg the censuses. That copyright is held by the Crown office and applies to the images and thus the information in it is freely available to anyone under the Freedom of Information Act. Sending somebody a copy of the image might be an infringement of that copyright but sending somebody the details surely is not?

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 1 Oct 2013 13:10

You are again incorrect.
The original census and the microfiche are Crown Copyright.
The digital images made from the census as well as the transcriptions are copyright of Ancestry. Same applies to FMP and so on.

Inky1

Inky1 Report 1 Oct 2013 13:48

Stephen_SG

Why remove your tree?
Call out a gedcom from GR, upload it to Ay and choose Public rather than Private. Then surely you get the best of both worlds - tree matches on GR plus all can see your tree on Ay.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 1 Oct 2013 15:30

Nobody can see a tree on Ancestry unless either they have a sub. or using a public access eg library.

However you upload a tree from pretty well anywhere to Mundea which is 100% free
https://www.mundia.com/ph/Account/Create

Mundia is sponsored by Ay.

GEDCOM is not a rock solid standard and different sites implement it in different ways. There are often problems with dates and location on export / import which have to be corrected.

Thelma

Thelma Report 1 Oct 2013 15:54

I have two trees on Ancestry.I have never put a tree on Mundia but my Ancestry trees can be viewed there.
I believe that they are the same database.
As is Ancestry World tree and RootsWeb.
http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/wchistory.html

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 1 Oct 2013 20:45

Yes, they are the same database. Mundia is an alternative access portal to A site trees. It isn't a copy as some have suggested in the past.