Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

anyone need a census look up?

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Linda in the Midlands

Linda in the Midlands Report 31 May 2007 13:24

I'm bored

Derek

Derek Report 31 May 2007 13:55

Hello Linda, If you are seriously bored, try this for me, please. Mary Shearer born 26th July 1874 in Hilliclay, Caithness. She did not marry until 1902, so where and what was she doing during the census of 1881, 1891 and 1901. Good luck, Derek in France

Linda in the Midlands

Linda in the Midlands Report 31 May 2007 14:04

I've never done scottish ones before. My geography might be a bit out. do you know her fathers name? did she marry in scotland?

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 31 May 2007 14:07

Derek Could this be the family in 1871 Name: John Shearer Age: 37 Estimated birth year: abt 1834 Relationship: Head Spouse's name : Jane Gender: Male Where born: Olrig, Caithnessshire Registration Number: 39 Registration district: Olrig Civil parish: Olrig County: Caithness Address: West Boughts Occupation: Lab Par Work ED: 4 Page: 10 (click to see others on page) Household schedule number: 36 Line: 8 Roll: CSSCT1871_8 Household Members: Name Age Alexander Shearer 6 Esther Shearer 8 Jane Shearer 26 Jane Shearer 3 John Shearer 37 John Shearer 5 Robert Shearer 1 IGI has parents for Mary as John Shearer and Jane Sutherland and they married in 1862. Also a daughter Isabella born in 1873. Sorry Linda but more info might be useful Maureen

Marie

Marie Report 31 May 2007 14:22

Yes please ! John Lyddon 1891. Should be in Newcastle with his family, Mary born approx 1859 and children William ,Thomas, Robert, Mary. John born approx 1858 in Walker, Newcastle. Got them living at Western Glower in 1881 and 1901. Cheers Marie x

Linda in the Midlands

Linda in the Midlands Report 31 May 2007 14:30

Maureen carry on please, the more eyes the better :) Marie are these yours in 1901? Name: John Lyddon Age: 43 Estimated birth year: abt 1858 Relation: Head Spouse's name: Elizabeth Gender: Male Where born: Walker, Northumberland, England Civil parish: Walker Ecclesiastical parish: Walker Christchurch Town: Walker County/Island: Northumberland Country: England Street address: Occupation: Condition as to marriage: Education: Employment status: View image Registration district: Tynemouth Sub-registration district: Longbenton ED, institution, or vessel: 8 Neighbors: View others on page Household schedule number: 284 Household Members: Name Age John Crowest 20 Benjaman Lyddon 7 Elizabeth Lyddon 42 Grace A Lyddon 9 John Lyddon 43 Mary Lyddon 11 Robert P Lyddon 13 Thomas Lyddon 15 William Lyddon 17

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 31 May 2007 14:35

Linda, Sorry if I am butting into your thread but will leave it now so that Derek can respond to questions. Derek, A possible Mary is on the 1901 census with 3 children. I believe the family is on 1891 but not Mary. Maureen

Marie

Marie Report 31 May 2007 14:40

Yes ! Sorry, his wife was Elizabeth not Mary, as I said !

Linda in the Midlands

Linda in the Midlands Report 31 May 2007 14:58

Sorry Marie, I've tried everything and nothing comes up. Have tried searching for the kids and with first name only Linda

welshbird

welshbird Report 31 May 2007 15:08

Hi Linda I am having problems finding Sarah Priest born 1861 in Rowley North Staffs. She married a James Herbert in approx 1876 and had 7 children. I am having problems because the name is so common. Could you possibly have a look for me? Thanks, Carolyn.

Marie

Marie Report 31 May 2007 15:11

No problem, he is very elusive ! Thanks for your help x

Linda in the Midlands

Linda in the Midlands Report 31 May 2007 15:22

Carolyn, you would need to order the marriage cert for Sarah and James to find her fathers name and occupation. There are too many Sarah Preists born in the right area to be able to narrow it down without any more info she did marry 1876 John Cooper 1876 Jan-Feb-Mar Dudley (To 1912) Staffordshire, Worcestershire >>James Herbert 1876 Jan-Feb-Mar Dudley (To 1912) Staffordshire, Worcestershire >> Sarah Priest 1876 Jan-Feb-Mar Dudley (To 1912) Staffordshire, Worcestershire Susan Thomas 1876 Jan-Feb-Mar Dudley (To 1912) Staffordshire, Worcestershire

Yvette

Yvette Report 31 May 2007 15:43

hi, this is a very kind offer. I would love it if you could find a George Storer, born saxstead suffolk 1838, his wife Susannah, children , John, Eli, Alice and possibly Arthur. The spelling may be off, Storrer, Storrar, Storar, and so on, i think i looked before and couldn't find them. They would be living in London/surrey about 1871 having come from suffolk just before. I was just looking for something else and found that i needed info from that census and realised that i dont have it. No worries if you are fed up with doing it now but thanks if you can yvette

welshbird

welshbird Report 31 May 2007 15:56

Thanks Linda, will do Carolyn

Linda in the Midlands

Linda in the Midlands Report 31 May 2007 16:03

Yvette 1861 Name: George Storer Age: 23 Estimated birth year: abt 1838 Relation: Head Spouse's name: Susannah Gender: Male Where born: Saxtead, Suffolk, England Civil parish: Saxtead County/Island: Suffolk Country: England Street address: Occupation: Condition as to marriage: View image Registration district: Hoxne Sub-registration district: Dennington ED, institution, or vessel: 16c Neighbors: View others on page Household schedule number: 6 Household Members: Name Age George Storer 23 John Storer 1 Susannah Storer 22 1881 Name: George Storer Age: 43 Estimated birth year: abt 1838 Relation: Head Spouse's name: Susannah Gender: Male Where born: Saxtead, Suffolk, England Civil parish: Croydon County/Island: Surrey Country: England Street address: 54 Pawsons Rd Condition as to marriage: Married Education: Employment status: View image Occupation: General Labr Registration district: Croydon Sub-registration district: Croydon ED, institution, or vessel: 38 Neighbors: View others on page Household Members: Name Age Arthur Storer 10 Eleanor Storer 3 Eli Storer 17 George Storer 43 John Storer 22 Pamla Storer 6 Phoebe Storer 21 Susannah Storer 42 Thomas Storer 1 Nothing on 1871 obvioous yet, but will have a good look

Yvette

Yvette Report 31 May 2007 16:04

Thanks so much linda, isn't it strange that they dont turn up on the 1871, i think that it probably to do with the spelling of the name, bearing in mind they had just come from suffolk and had 'ooaarh' accents LOL

Linda in the Midlands

Linda in the Midlands Report 31 May 2007 16:25

Yvette 1871 Name: George Stores Age: 33 Estimated birth year: abt 1838 Relation: Head Spouse's name: Susanna Gender: Male Where born: Saxtead, Norfolk, England Civil parish: Croydon Ecclesiastical parish: St Saviour Town: Croydon County/Island: Surrey Country: England Street address: Occupation: Condition as to marriage: Disability: View image Registration district: Croydon Sub-registration district: Croydon ED, institution, or vessel: 29 Neighbors: View others on page Household schedule number: 153 Household Members: Name Age Alice Stores 2 Eli Stores 7 Eliza Stores 9 George Stores 33 John Stores 11 Susanna Stores 32 should also have pointed out on the 1881 Phoebe is Daughter in law I think married to John

Yvette

Yvette Report 31 May 2007 16:33

hi linda, thank you so much, i have been trying, with all these clever combinations using a's and rr's but didn't think of that combo, i know about Phoebe being johns wife as i have the 1881. Thanks again for your help well done yvette

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 31 May 2007 17:27

Hi Linda, Sorry but had to disappear earlier. Was hoping that there might have been some feedback from Derek by now. 1891 I think this is the right family Name: John Shearer Age: 57 Estimated birth year: abt 1834 Relationship: Head Spouse's name : Jane Gender: Male Where born: Olrig, Caithness Registration Number: 41 Registration district: Thurso Civil parish: Thurso Town: Thurso County: Caithness Address: Grove Lane Occupation: Stonedresser ED: 2 Page: 11 (click to see others on page) Household schedule number: 50 Line: 11 Roll: CSSCT1891_10 Household Members: Name Age Edward Shearer 5 Isabella Shearer 18 James Shearer 9 Jane Shearer 48 Jessie Shearer 13 John Shearer 57 John Shearer 24 Laughlin Shearer 7 Lizzie Shearer 11 Mennie Shearer 2 Ancestry is producing some strange results for the 1881 census such as one person listed as grandson or granddaughter and no one else listed in the household. Derek, Did a free search on ScotlandsPeople, sorry got no credits left to view the results, but the names do appear in Thurso in 1881. Are there two Mary Shearer? There is one listed in 1891 Maureen

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 31 May 2007 17:49

Message for Marie 1891 RG number:RG12 Piece:4221 Folio:7 Page:8 Registration District:Tynemouth Sub District:Wallsend EnumerationDistrict:4 Ecclesiastical Parish:St Luke Civil Parish:Wallsend Municipal Borough: Address:10, West Street, Wallsend LYDDON, John Head Married M 32 Shipwright Walker Northumberland LYDDON, Elizabeth Wife Married F 32 ? Northumberland LYDDON, John Son Single M 12 Wallsend Northumberland LYDDON, Dorothy Daughter F 9 Walker Northumberland LYDDON, William W Son M 7 Walker Northumberland LYDDON, Thomas Son M 5 Walker Northumberland LYDDON, Robert P Son M 3 Walker Northumberland LYDDON, Mary Daughter F 1 Wallsend Northumberland I can not get this image to come up on Ancestry Maureen