Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1911/1921 census - look at this story and start ba

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Michael

Michael Report 16 Jan 2006 12:53

http://home(.)clara(.)net/denis.mccready/ (remove the brackets) My hopes are getting raised already!! Just one question - I don't know the name of my MP and if he's already signed it or not :-) Michael

Dizzy Lizzy 205090

Dizzy Lizzy 205090 Report 16 Jan 2006 13:00

Zara, There seem to be some spaces in the address which need deleting before it will work. Liz

Llamedos Pam

Llamedos Pam Report 16 Jan 2006 13:01

I also tried with no luck Pam Had another try and will be sending my mail off today Pam

Michael

Michael Report 16 Jan 2006 13:02

Yeah sorry. Remove the blank spaces. GR don't seem to like people putting in weblinks in their messages - you have to disguise them, usually by putting in brackets to remove. I chose to use blank spaces. Not terribly clever of me. Sorry. Try this, but remove the brackets:- http://home(.)clara(.).net/denis.mccready/

Jean Durant

Jean Durant Report 16 Jan 2006 13:06

Thankyou Michael, Will send mail immediately. Jean x.

Horatia

Horatia Report 16 Jan 2006 16:14

I have sent something to my MP - nudged up for everyone's benefit! Cheers, Horatia

babs123

babs123 Report 16 Jan 2006 16:23

See my post re'for those that havenot realised' for info on url's ....oooh and shame on you not knowing your MP!!. LOL Kat :)

Sukey

Sukey Report 16 Jan 2006 19:38

I'm new to the site but have emailed my MP after seeing this, Thanks for letting us know Sue

Christine

Christine Report 16 Jan 2006 23:33

The Ego

The Ego Report 16 Jan 2006 23:38

If this is about getting the next 2 censi early-forget it-stop wasting your energy. They will not be like the sheets you have been fortunate to view for past decades,for a start.

Rachel

Rachel Report 17 Jan 2006 18:17

Alter Just out of curiosity, what will they be like and how do you know? I really need the 1911 census and so I won't be able to research my great grandads side until 2012. Would be nice to know what is waiting for us.

Unknown

Unknown Report 17 Jan 2006 18:35

Alter Ego For those of us not in the know, can you tell is why it's not worth it? Is it not going to be of any use at all?

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 17 Jan 2006 18:51

I've just emailed my MP after seeing this thread and copying and pasting the letter from the website given above. However, I don't hold out much hope of getting it released early, as we've been here before, in 2004 and the MP's turned down the chance then. I've also heard that the 1911 census is in a pretty poor state with some of it missing and some water damaged and even eaten by mice. We can always hope though. Kath. x

Jeans Reunited

Jeans Reunited Report 17 Jan 2006 19:16

Well done Michael, Surely if we nag 'em enough they will bring out the census early just to get some peace (like kids do!) Keep nudging this thread. Claire

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 17 Jan 2006 19:20

Playing Devil's advocate here..... Why on earth should the Government even consider releasing these censuses early, and who is to pay for it if they do? The Censuses were taken to provide information for the Government on forward planning, not for the needs of family history researchers. In addition, the population at the time were told that the information on individuals would be private for one hundred years, thus hopefully encouraging people to be honest in their replies. If the Government of today are seen to renege on a promise made 100 years ago, then that would set alarm bells ringing (in my mind, if no-one else's) that their promises on privacy cannot be trusted. The money is simply not available to pay for the transcribing of these records - would you rather they diverted money for a new hospital to this cause? At the end of the day, genealogy is a hobby, nothing more. Many people born before 1921 are still alive and may be seriously distressed if family secrets are made public. Finally, the 1911 census is in a poor state of repair. I thought I read somewhere recently that it has already been sent to Sri Lanka to be either transcribed or scanned - I can't remember which - and will duly appear when it has been completed. Olde Crone

Val

Val Report 17 Jan 2006 19:23

I don't see why we should not have the 1911 and 1921 cencus as if America can then why not here

Michael

Michael Report 17 Jan 2006 19:54

I'd like to reply to Olde Crone, who does raise some quite interesting points about the census and privacy issues, but I was under the impression that the government farmed out most of the transcribing to outside contractors anyway, and that the relevant article online I linked to in the top of this discussion says the following:- QUOTE: You may be aware that, in 2004, 120 MPs signed Early Day Motion 871, urging the Government to create an additional £10m-£40m in revenue from on-line fees by releasing the 1911 decennial population census straightaway instead of waiting another 8 years, until 2012. : END QUOTE This seems to imply that the 1901 census, one way or the other has been a huge money-earner for the government and there are certainly not going to be any hospitals closed so they can find the money to release the census. It is a good point about the 100year rule though. Like many, I need the 1911 census at least to get the complete list of my grandfather's siblings. I don't care what condition it is in - I don't even care if it's indexed properly or not - I know where they're living, I just need to know who else is in the household in the way of brothers and sisters. I'm not holding out my hopes, but I'd like to at least keep the issue alive so that we do at least get it on time in January 2012 and don't have to wait even longer for it. Any hope of making the process quicker is very welcome. I'm sure I read somewhere that the original 1841 and 1851 censuses were released early in about 1912 after pressure by the Society of Geneolgists, so hopefully, the 1911 will be treated the same way. I'd hate to think the 100year rule was set in stone. I agree that the 70year figure America has seems right. Hell, even Ireland can get access to their 1911 census, and so can Canada. Why not us? Michael

Merry

Merry Report 17 Jan 2006 20:04

I thought the main point was that you cannot film or transcribe from paper that has deteriorated so much???? If the 1911 is only half as bad as I have seen mentioned on this site and in other places, then any amount of offers to film/transcribe what can be plucked from the mouldy old warehouse where it is being stored, will be a waste of time if all we have is Number 23 Railway Cuttings, East Cheam, and nowhere else............ Merry

Michael

Michael Report 17 Jan 2006 20:14

I've heard a lot of 'scare stories' about the 1911 census, its general condition or lack thereof, but let's face it, none of us REALLY know what it is like, and those who do know aren't telling! There must be sections for parts of the country at least that are usable. Even if it's like the WW1 army records and only 40% survives, that is a lot better than nothing. Mind you, the way my luck goes my lot would be in the 'missing' pages!! I had terrible luck with the 1851 census - half of mine were in Manchester (flood damaged) and the other half in Thaxted, Essex (compltely missing). I can't get this unlucky again in 1911, can I??? Please god, let them be among the survivors this time. I deserve it!!

Merry

Merry Report 17 Jan 2006 20:16

LOL Michael.....I will keep my fingers crossed for you!! Merry