Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

found a connection on Genes - What Relationship do

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dawn

Dawn Report 6 Mar 2004 12:26

Can any of you nice people work this out? I have found a lady on here who is related to me. Her Great Great Grandfather is the brother of my Great Great Grandfather. What does that make us? Any suggestions gratefully received!! Sarah.X

mab

mab Report 6 Mar 2004 12:33

Ithink you are 3rd cousins - but open to correction, Marian

Barbara

Barbara Report 6 Mar 2004 13:12

Yes, I believe 3rd cousins. I found the same thing on GC a lady whose gg Grandmother was sister to my gg Grandmother ( or rather she found me). Barbara

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 6 Mar 2004 13:51

Yes, definitely 3rd cousins. Try this for a chart explaining relationships: http://www.genealogy.about. com/library/nrelationshipchart.htm Jeanette

Dawn

Dawn Report 6 Mar 2004 14:05

Thankyou Marian, Barbara and Jeanette for your help. I appreciate it!!! Sarah.

BobClayton

BobClayton Report 6 Mar 2004 14:15

Is that right? Since they were brothers then the common ancestor is great great great grandfather. So its common parents are siblings, grandparents first cousins, ggrandparents second cousins, gggrandparents third cousins, ggggrandparents fourth cousins. You count the G's Bob

Dawn

Dawn Report 6 Mar 2004 14:18

Hi Robert I'm totally confused now!!! Sarah.

cazzabella

cazzabella Report 6 Mar 2004 14:23

I believe you are 4th cousins. Your GG grandfather & GG uncle were brothers; your Great grandparents were 1st cousins, your grandparents were 2nd cousins, your parents were 3rd cousins and you are 4th cousins. I think that's right....well hope it is and I stand to be corrected. Best wishes, Carole

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 6 Mar 2004 14:31

Robert, Carole and Sarah Sorry! I stand corrected. Missed a Great out. 4th cousins it is! Jeanette

Dawn

Dawn Report 6 Mar 2004 14:58

Thankyou to you all!! Kind Regards Sarah.X

Sandra

Sandra Report 6 Mar 2004 15:48

Great Great definitely THIRD cousins. Have chart in Front of me. Sandra

Simon

Simon Report 6 Mar 2004 16:39

I vote fourth cousins for definite - as per Carole's explanation above.

mab

mab Report 6 Mar 2004 16:46

Yes, on recalculation I think I was wrong and it is 4th cousins. Sorry!! Marian

Pat Kendrick

Pat Kendrick Report 6 Mar 2004 16:53

4th Cousins is right. we count up the gg's but often forget to count in our parents which makes an extra generation Pat

Kim

Kim Report 6 Mar 2004 16:54

i'M CONFUSED ! the chart on the website is clear though but its very easy to confuse me! KIM

Fairy

Fairy Report 6 Mar 2004 17:17

Parents - 1st cousins grandparents - 2nd cousins great granparents - 3rd cousins great - great grandparents - 4th cousins. So we are 4th cousins Sarah, still related though!

Kim

Kim Report 6 Mar 2004 17:39

Surely, Joan if you share the same parents you are brother/sister and sister/brother?? not cousins , this is where I get confused! KIM

BobClayton

BobClayton Report 6 Mar 2004 18:36

The relationship is determined by the single common ancestor so the brothers don't count . It is their father that does, so they have a common great great great grandfather that's a fourth cousin ie 4 g's including the one in grandfather. Cousins share the same grandparent and are first cousins. 1+3 = 4 !!!!! Bob

Kim

Kim Report 6 Mar 2004 19:01

THANK YOU, understand now KIM!

Sandra

Sandra Report 6 Mar 2004 19:46

Hi all, go to http://www(.)vango(.)info/family_relationship_chart(.)htm Great chart. Highly recommend it. Sandra