Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Sorry in advance - but I have to.

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 26 Jan 2004 22:53

I know this is gonna end up causing a BIG debate, but I just have to bring this up.

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 26 Jan 2004 22:58

I have noticed recently that there are certain people that are constantly requesting look ups that cost others money. Obviously there is nothing wrong with this, if people have spare credits left, that they are then offering look ups. But recently I am noticing it is the same people that post threads for look ups that come from the cost of other peoples pockets. I love helping people and if I have credits to spare then I will do the look up for someone when they are really stuck and only need the one look up. But what I can seem to except is people taking this for granted again and again. It is not free for us, so why should it be FREE for them. Sorry to bring this up AGAIN, but it really is something that I am noticing quite often now.

www.Siouxhealer

www.Siouxhealer Report 26 Jan 2004 23:10

I couldn't agree more Siobhan and I'm a Newbie, I felt guilty asking for help yesterday with the 1901 Census, but I'd spent £4.75 and only needed to confirm the occupants of one more house and that was me done. Thankfully someone kindly offered to help, although they didn't have to. SO in return I now have some spare 1837 credits and if anyone would like some help I'm willing to pass on the gesture :) Sioux

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 26 Jan 2004 23:13

It is not so much the constant request of these look ups, but also the replies I have seen to some of the help people have given. I just can't believe how rude some people are. I love helping people, but am shocked at the sheer cheek of some nowadays. What ever happened to manners.

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 26 Jan 2004 23:22

I not really up to naming and shaming, only tends to cause cat fights, and fighting is definately not for me. I am a nice person - HONEST. I really enjoy helping people, but have been shocked recently of there rudeness of people. But hey got it off my chest now, so feel alot a better LOL.

Trish Devon

Trish Devon Report 26 Jan 2004 23:56

Hi Siobhan, I too have noticed the same names popping up time after time,I have only asked once.I am a really busy person,going out to work, it seems the same people,must be the ones with either time on their hands,or really becoming obsessed.There are so many kind people out there so willing to help,I am sure a lot of us that does not have the facilities such as yourselves,perhaps would like a bit more info, such as the best place to purchase and perhaps the cost.I am sure if I had the records,and I had the spare time, perhaps, I too would be more than willing to help,but not the greedy ones.But as they say, there are more people willing to take than to give.I do agree with you entirely, but people will always take someone up on a kind offer. regards trish

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 27 Jan 2004 00:08

It is not so much people replying to offers, it is more the ones that post a thread for someone to do a lookup for them, because the need more info, which involves having to pay to get this information - say like on a census. Then when someone has spent their time searching for them on the decoder, this has not been good enough for them, they want this person to pay to get the information for them, that is what I have been noticing, and it is the same person again and again, it is like they want to get info without having to ever fork out themselves.

Wendy

Wendy Report 27 Jan 2004 00:17

Oooh wot u started now?? I've asked for help a few times before, more for a fresh pair of eyes really, think I'm still going round in circles with one part of the family but decided to leave them for a while then start fresh. I'm glad to say that I actually managed to help someone else out yesterday, for the first time, I'm fairly new to this so I was over the moon to be able to help someone. the first time I asked for help William told me I might be able to help others one day, I am so glad he was right, wouldnt like to feel like I was taking, or being taken, advantage of though so can understand where you're coming from, wend

Trish Devon

Trish Devon Report 27 Jan 2004 00:38

So what is the answer then,where can people obtain these census. and what is the cost please. regards trish.

Margaret

Margaret Report 27 Jan 2004 01:02

And, they are also missing out on the pleasure and excitement of finding the info themselves. Margaret

Irene

Irene Report 27 Jan 2004 01:04

1901 is on line free to view but if you want a printout it will cost 75p but you have to buy £5.00 of credits first. You could use a decoder but that will not tell you the relationships 1881 is free with the IGI Ancestry have 1891 on line but I have not tried that. The others, some are transcribed by Counties, some are indexed, others just copies of the film on CD's so no index. If people have these then they don't mind helping. I have found the odd census for different parishes free on line, not sure how I found them, but just hunting different parishes. Places like Headington in Oxford have 1841-1891 on line free. 1837 the scanned copies of the indexing in London is .10p to view a page again you have to buy £5.00 credits first. Freebmd (indexing) 1837-1903 is free. Amazing what you can find out there. Irene

Crista

Crista Report 27 Jan 2004 02:32

You can get the wife, son and daughter relationships from the decoder if you use the advanced search option and select the "relation to the head of family." Crista

Trish Devon

Trish Devon Report 27 Jan 2004 02:52

Hi crista, have emailed you, regards trish

Karen

Karen Report 27 Jan 2004 09:11

I agree with what Siobhan says. I think the point she is making is that it is not the fact of asking for help or lookups, I have done so on many occasions BUT the fact that they are asking for info that will cost money to view ie 1901 census & 1837 online. HOWEVER if people do not wish to spend their money doing this for others they can just ignore the post. I like the idea of advertising any spare credits. When I have used 1837 online, I have saved and also printed the pages I have looked at and have passed them on to someone else who is also researching the same name to see if they could help them. I also know how frustrating it is when you only need one bit of info but need to buy and whole bunch of units/credit. Not sure what the answer is but please remember please and thank you cost nothing! Karen

Helen in Kent

Helen in Kent Report 27 Jan 2004 10:09

I was interested in this thread because earlier this morning I noticed that lots of people who had asked for lookups hadn't had a single reply and this is probably why! Whenever I've asked for help I've always assumed that whoever answered had the information to hand and not had to pay out for it. I've visited cemeteries for other people and occasionally used my credits on someone else's behalf, but I don't think many people would expect others to spend money on them. I think the answer might be to reply and explain that a particular lookup costs money to do and perhaps they didn't realise that. After all there are newbies joining every day. Cheers everyone!

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 27 Jan 2004 10:17

Hi All Firstly, if I have spare credits at any time, then I have no problem in helping people, when they are geniune and it not worth there while buying credits themselves, when they only need one look up. The point I am getting at, is it is always the same people that are posting threads, for lookups that do involving buying credits, it is not just the one occasion it is all the time. This is not so much the problem, cause I am sure if someone has credits to spare, then they will get their look up. It is more the replies from some when you don't get what they are looking for, or you look for one thing and then they ask for another and another. I understand Genealogy can be expensive, but I do not agree with people relying on other to dig into their pockets. Sometime I get the impression these people never actually want to pay for anything themselves. Am I get my point across, or is it coming out completely wrong. I don't know LOL

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 27 Jan 2004 10:20

Helen, I doubt very much that this topic is the reason, no one has had a reply to there look up. It may be that the current people online, don't have access to what they are looking for. What you would need to do, is nudge the post up, so it stays on the first page for a couple of days, if there is still no reply. Then you know that no one has access to what you have asked. But I am pretty sure you will get at least one reply, telling you where you can get your information if they cannot help you. Does this make sense???

Lucky

Lucky Report 27 Jan 2004 11:06

I answered a couple of requests for look ups. One in particular was somebody asking for a certain name in two years on 1837 online, in several particular places. I looked using 10 units, as she said she had lost the info(5 names) she had already got. There wasn't one name in the areas she said. From this I assume it was a good way of getting somebody to look and hope there might be the info she wanted.

Helen in Kent

Helen in Kent Report 27 Jan 2004 11:13

Siobhan, yes you make perfect sense so don't worry! I agree with you. In fact I wasn't referring to any of my requests because kind people have always replied and given me help when I've needed it, I just thought today there seemed to be lots with no replies.

Helen in Kent

Helen in Kent Report 27 Jan 2004 11:15

Actually, thinking about it, some people reply by email, don't they, so that doesn't always show up on the boards.