Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

British Census 1881/1891 - Can you help??

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 14 Oct 2003 20:38

I desperatly am in need of help. I was trying to trace some scottish relatives on the census 1891 on Scotlandspeople.gov.uk but had no luck. So am posting here to see if anyone can help. This is what I am looking for: Alexander Taylor Marr born around 1855 in Edinburgh Area Isabella Newlands born around 1855 in Edinburgh area. (They both then married in 1889) trying to find out who there parents were. Also: Peter Anderson born around 1832(Occupation would of been a tailor) Alison Anderson born around 1833(formerly Paterson) son: William Shiels Anderson born around 1866 (did they have any other children) William Shiels Anderson born around 1866 (occuation plumber) Jessie Douglas Anderson born around 1866(formerly Thomson) They would of all been around Edinburgh Area. If you can help with any info would be great

Janet

Janet Report 14 Oct 2003 20:48

Isabella Newlands, born 20 February 1857, Dalkeith, Midlothian. Father Peter Newlands. Mother Sarah Smith. Sisters Sarah, 9th July 1860, and Christina Munro, 14th October 1862. Jan.

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 14 Oct 2003 20:55

Thanks alot for that. One question....how/where did you get the information????

Janet

Janet Report 14 Oct 2003 21:00

The nearest I can find for Alexander is this one: Alexander Mars, born 5th June 1852, Edinburgh Parish, Midlothian. Father William Mars. Mother Margaret Coglan. sister Agnes, born 6th May, 1854 Can't find any trace of him on the 1881 either, or of their marriage. Jan.

Janet

Janet Report 14 Oct 2003 21:01

I went to the Family Search site. Jan.

Philip

Philip Report 14 Oct 2003 21:19

See email - 1881 census for Peter Anderson. His age is slightly out but I don't think they were that careful. All the right names and occupations so it must be him. Phil

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 14 Oct 2003 21:33

I never realised how helpful people were, until now I may be going to Birmingham Archives on Saturday, for anyone who needs some traces for relatives in that area. Will send a post later in the week, if i am definately going

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 14 Oct 2003 21:52

Thanks alot Phil That is definately him............seems I have twins popping up all over my family....which is interesting

Janet

Janet Report 14 Oct 2003 22:12

Peter Anderson christened 21 September 1831, Canongate, Edinburgh. Parents Peter and Jane Wood (married 30 November 1825) Brothers: Isaac, ch. 17 July 1834, and James, ch. 3 September 1837. Peter Anderson married Alison Paterson 15 June 1861, Leith. Alison Paterson christened 24 August 1828,Cockpen, Midlothian. Parents George Paterson and Isabel Handyside. Siblings Janet ch.23 September 1821; George 30 March 1823; William 25 December 1825, and Alexander 6 June 1830. Hope some of these are yours. Jan.

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 14 Oct 2003 22:29

You have the right wedding date for Peter and Alison but peter's parents were Robert Anderson and Joan Shiels Alison parents were John Paterson and Robina Shiels.....thanks anyway. are you getting all this info from family search.....if you are i must be doing something wrong

Janet

Janet Report 14 Oct 2003 22:35

Yes, I only use Family Search, FreeBMD, the 1891 Census, and when I can afford another £5 the 1901 Census. If I could work out how to download it, I'd use the 1901 Decoder. Jan.

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 14 Oct 2003 22:41

have you cd rom for 1891 then what is 1901 decoder

Janet

Janet Report 14 Oct 2003 22:46

No, I paid a quarters subscription to the Ancestry . co . uk site which gives access to the 1891. I don't have any discs. I'm not too sure about the decoder, I believe it lets you see a bit more information from the 1901 without having to pay. You still have to pay if you want ALL the information, but its better than searching the 1901 without paying. Its just that I'm terrified of downloads, really need someone to hold my hand while I'm doing it, and on the Decoder site there are so many clickable buttons, I don't know which one I should use. Jan.

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 14 Oct 2003 22:49

How good is ancestry.co.uk is it worth the money.....i was thinking about joining.....but don't know how good the information is on there

Janet

Janet Report 14 Oct 2003 23:08

The information off Ancestry . co . uk is excellent, provided you realise that you often have to be very flexible in your searches. Names are often transcribed completely wrongly, as are place names. Just because you know a persons name, date and place of birth doesn't mean you will find them easily. My Gobels were listed as Gabels, Forsters as Foreters, Bexley Heath shown as Boxley, and so on. Just one letter out and it throws the search completely. These are quite simple mistakes, some of them are very difficult, such as Oxon transcribed as Devon, and Carmarthenshire as Cambridgeshire. I think its possibly because the transcribers are American, so don't recognise the English abbreviations, but I'm not sure on that. But if you have the patience to wheedle it all out, its in there somewhere, and very very useful. I'd be lost without it, just hope I can afford to keep my subscription going. Jan.

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 14 Oct 2003 23:14

Jan could you search on there to see if you can find any marriage between a Grosvenor Clarke and Irene Littlejohns....would be gratefull appreciated. I think a subscription to ancestry will be my next month expenditure. You recommend it well.

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 15 Oct 2003 09:08

justt nudging up..incase anyone can help with last post. Irene and Grosvenor had twins in 1924, if that helps.....can find no record of a marriage, but am quite sure that they were married...unless she just took his name

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 15 Oct 2003 18:51

nudging up

Eileen

Eileen Report 15 Oct 2003 19:01

Hello Siobhan, i can look up anything on ancestry for you if you give me the details! Save you paying as well. Eileen

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 15 Oct 2003 19:07

Max said she will have a look for me on her next visit to FRC and LMA. But if you could look for me on ancestry would be great. I am looking for a marriage between Irene Littlejohns and Grosvenor Ashford clarke......no idea when the married, but I presume they did as Irene is on my grandfathers birth certificate as Irene Clarke formerly Littlejohns. She gave birth to my Grandfather in 1924 if that helps. To enable me to trace my grandfathers side a need a ref to a wedding so I can then confirm who there parents were. Thanks