Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Adoptees, Adopters, Birth Parents

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 28 Sep 2007 22:04

What advice would you offer to an adoptee or Birth Mother who was just about to have first contact. I have heard that once the initial excitement has worn off they may feel very deflated but do you have your own pearls of wisdom?

Kay????

Kay???? Report 28 Sep 2007 22:08

Be as honest as you can to any questions,,show care, respect each other,and dont place any pressure,on each other,,,,,

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 28 Sep 2007 22:13

Thank you Kay.

The people concerned are soon to contact each other and I want it to go as well as possible for them

Victoria

Victoria Report 28 Sep 2007 22:14

I would say take it very slowly and take each day as it comes. I am not adopted myself but I have been helping several cousins of mine that are.

It can be a time full of great excitement but can also be a time of rejection.

Don't expect too much of each other. become friends first.

Good luck

Best wishes

Jane

Kay????

Kay???? Report 28 Sep 2007 22:21

Hi Janet,

I think it takes time to work on anything in these situations to take it a level higher,,,if that is what wanted from both parties,,,,,,,,,often the child is just satisfied to see ,have answers to questions they may have,but not want a full commitment or it can be in reverse,,,,,,but each situation is different as is both individuals,,,,but to have someone in the background for each party is a good thing aswell,if they want it,,,,,,,,

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 28 Sep 2007 22:28

I hope you don't mind but I am going to send your comments to both parties as I really want them to have the best experience possible.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 28 Sep 2007 22:45

Not at all Janet....feel free...

to each party the best of luck for happy reunion and a lasting one,,,