General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Subtitles on TV

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 8 Jan 2009 17:00

Sometimes we use the subtitles on TV and at times the news reports make for interesting reading....Not unlike some of the enumerators writings or the census transcriptions.
They are probably using a Soundex type system and today's lunchtime captions were a gem.

Instead of reporting on a Sussex vicar, subtitles mentioned 'a sausage filler'.

Gwyn

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 8 Jan 2009 17:22

perhaps he was monlighting in a sausage factory!!!!

Karen in the desert

Karen in the desert Report 8 Jan 2009 19:11

LOL sausage filler!!
Machines are great - but sometimes they just can't do what a human can do!!

K

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 8 Jan 2009 20:37

When you actually need them as I sometimes do if the programme is really low or I don't want to disturb others in the room, they can be annoying. Some programmes are totally out of sinc.

Ann
Glos

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 8 Jan 2009 21:00

I know what you mean Ann.
I have had 2 ops. on my ears and some accents and tones are difficult to follow.
A phone call to OH at lunchtime meant I was watching the local news with subtitles.

Gwyn

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 8 Jan 2009 21:06

I wear a hearing aid but even with that it is sometimes difficult to pick out words, especially if the person speaking is not facing the camera.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 8 Jan 2009 23:10

have you also noticed that most times, the Plus I hour programs on freeview the subtitles are SOOOOO far out of sync?

that its almost useless..........

Bob

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 8 Jan 2009 23:35

going off at a slight tangent, years ago went with my lovely OH to a Western film and all the way through I'm saying - the sound is out of synch!! Rang the cinema next day to complain, saying to the manager "They may as well have been speaking in a foreign language" to which he replied "Well they were"" It was one of those spaghettie westerns!! I felt a bit of a dickhead!!

Harpstrings

Harpstrings Report 8 Jan 2009 23:37

I feel very sorry for peeps who have to rely on this service. I was absolutely gobsmacked one very late evening when I was playing around with the subtitle button on the remote. What was being put out was so not what was being said.

In fact I find it very funny, but then as I said, thankfully, I dont have to rely on this service. It definately needs improving.

Tina x

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 7 Sep 2013 17:55

An old thread, but thought I'd add one just seen on the news.

Referring to the intruders at Buckingham Palace, the report on subtitles mentioned 'The Queen and the chook of Edinburgh'

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 7 Sep 2013 21:11

one I saw whilst waiting in the bank a few weeks ago regarding the long queues at the Gibraltar checkpoint

"people are injuring Jews" instead "enduring queues" :-D :-D

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 7 Sep 2013 22:13

Another little gripe,
supposedly the news and weather items are scripted.............(ie reading from the autocue) why cant the sub-title'rs have this info beforehand so that accurate titles are broadcast..........in sync.......

Bob

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 7 Sep 2013 22:41

To those of us who half rely on sub titles but who can also hear what they should be they are just aggravating it is worth remembering that some people rely totally on them so I do wish they would find a fool proof system

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 28 May 2014 22:15

Ear infection this week means I've used subtitles alot.

There have been a few 'gems'.

Interesting news item about Mystic Lake.??
( say it aloud and think 'yellow')

One has to really concentrate to glean what they are reporting about sometimes.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 28 May 2014 23:11

......then there was the BBC news, reporting on the Chinese New Year.
The subtitles declared it was the 'Year of the Whores' :-D :-D

Wend

Wend Report 28 May 2014 23:14

Ha ha Gwyn :-D

lollybasher

lollybasher Report 28 May 2014 23:23

I use the subtitles and some of the words that come on just crease me up..

Hi Wend x

:-D :-D :-D :-D

SueCar

SueCar Report 29 May 2014 02:28

Please put me out of my misery . . . what was 'Mystic Lake' really? ;-)

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 31 May 2014 23:54

The picture showed Mr. Clegg !

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 1 Jun 2014 09:40

I use sub titles all the time. Sometimes they even correct themselves!! :-D