General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Now I'm Worried and It's All My Own Fault (Fred)

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 24 May 2011 13:54

Have been trying for ages to persuade the old man to try going on the service bus into Chichester.They nearly all have wheelchair access. I have even been trying to get himto just visit the next village on the service bus just to give it a try.All to no avail.

He has been thinking up all sorts of obstacles and disasters that might befall him.

This morning the opticians rang to say his glasses were ready and I pulled out the clincher to get him to go and get them with his mate. I explained that a taxi cost £30 and the bus less than a fiver.

He has gone rolling off down to the bus stop with his mate to get his glasses and have lunch in Wetherspoons.

And me? I am sitting here thinking of all sorts of obstacles and disasters that might befall him!

wisechild

wisechild Report 24 May 2011 13:58

Was it Confucious who said "Be careful what you wish for because you might get it"? ;-) ;-) ;-)

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 24 May 2011 14:00

Oh dear Sharron, try not to worry. Hopefully it will all go according to plan and it will encourage him to get out and about more in the future.

StrayKitten

StrayKitten Report 24 May 2011 14:01

lunch in weatherspoons and a few jars ;-)

Sharron

Sharron Report 24 May 2011 14:05

Home wearing his new sunglasses and looking like Colonel Gadaffi!

The carers tell me most of their stroke victims stay in bed most of the day and are looked after.Sometimes I wish I had taken that route.At least I would have known where he was!

Janet

Janet Report 24 May 2011 14:07

Lets hope it is the first of many trips away from home. Sometimes it just takes one situation to alter everything. Don't worry I am sure he will come home, refreshed, full of conversation about his day and twenty-five pound better off!-jll

Janet

Janet Report 24 May 2011 14:07

Lets hope it is the first of many trips away from home. Sometimes it just takes one situation to alter everything. Don't worry I am sure he will come home, refreshed, full of conversation about his day and twenty-five pound better off!-jll

Sharron

Sharron Report 24 May 2011 14:11

We have been here before. When he first had the electric wheelchair he wanted to go for a hospital appointment in his manual one and I wouldn't let him. The sparks flew then but he went in the electric one.

Then came home full of it.

I tell myself the arguments help him regain his speech!

kraftwerke

kraftwerke Report 24 May 2011 14:22

They do a nice lunch in the * Spoons* a pie and four pints,!!!

Sharron

Sharron Report 24 May 2011 14:24

Drunk in charge of a wheelchair. Now there's one to conjour with.

They won't know it's him though.He will be wearing dark glasses.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 24 May 2011 16:51

Glad he coped with the trip and has his new specs. Does he not have a mobile phone with him so you can call and check he is ok, even if by making an excuse like I am phoning because I can't remember where I put so and so, have you seen it? or something like that?

I do excuse phone calls to my son when he is Reading festival if he hasn't let me know he has arrived ok or hasn't made contact, I am such a worrywort. He does often say Mum I am a 28 yr old not a toddler. I am fine, stop worrying, but it's easier to say than do lol

You might have opened a can of worms Sharron, he might book a holiday lol
Lizx

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 24 May 2011 17:07

Drunk in charge of a wheelchair. Now there's one to conjour with.
They won't know it's him though. He will be wearing dark glasses.

Now there's an image I'm going to be stuck with all day.

;)

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 24 May 2011 18:13

HE WILL FEEL OVER THE MOON
INDEPENDANCE
NOT CRITISING YOU BUT TO DO SOMETHING YOUR
SELF MAKES YOU FEL FANTASTIC

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 24 May 2011 18:18

Watch out, ...He'll be out blackberrying soon !

Your tales about him are always amusing. Just the sort of nudge with support that lots of older people could do with.

Gwyn

MarionfromScotland

MarionfromScotland Report 24 May 2011 18:26

There will be no stopping him now.most places have wheelchair access, I think by law they have to.Could be wrong though.
Says she who was ante computer....and why on earth would I need a mobile phone,.I'd be lost without them now.

Marion :O

Sharron

Sharron Report 24 May 2011 20:30

He came back with the wheelchair cushion out and his sling askew because the bus step would not lower far enough and the driver didn't tell them he had a ramp available until he had almost slipped from the chair in the struggle to get him on,which the driver sat watching.

He said he was never going on the bus again but we'll see about that.

The sunglasses are no good but he wore them all the way home.Mr Perversity!

His birth certificate should come tomorrow so somebody had better get up there for his bus pass because I'm not going.

I was quite surprised he had a birth certificate at all, he could well have been built by somebody with a grudge against humanity.

Oh yes,blackberries soon,always something to look forward to.
It will keep him busy until he goes off backpacking or something like llama trecking.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 24 May 2011 21:07

Sharron, I'd invite him here to spend some time with No.1 as I think they might be temperamentally suited. Never met an obstacle that could be overcome, I think, or that isn't better dealt with by complaining about it.

But I'm sure they'd just hate each other. ;)

Sharron

Sharron Report 24 May 2011 21:17

Well,he hates everybody else!

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 24 May 2011 21:25

Sharron, your old man sounds just like my father in law, they're not twins are they? :-)

Wend

Wend Report 24 May 2011 21:27

What a lovely thread and such good humour in the face of adversity. We took my 71 yr old sil out to lunch to-day - she's severely disabled after suffering a major stroke 6 years ago and is, of course, in a wheelchair. We were belatedly celebrating her mother's 97th birthday and she'd (mil) just been to the hairdressers and was looking so pretty wearing lilac. We laughed a lot and I thought then - a good sense of humour is what keeps us all going.

Good on your OH Sharron - may he pick many blackberries :D