General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Mr Steers - Educating Yorkshire

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mersey

Mersey Report 10 Oct 2013 22:00

What a guy - Im a fan :-D

Florence61

Florence61 Report 10 Oct 2013 22:02

Hi Mersey, I saw this programme for the first time recently and thought it was brill!

Florence in the hebrides

Mersey

Mersey Report 10 Oct 2013 22:05

Hi Florence...

I just think he is a brilliant teacher, deputy head and so focused on his students....

Even his health problems do not deter him from making sure his pupils get the best grades they can.......such a lovely man

ButtercupFields

ButtercupFields Report 10 Oct 2013 22:07

Love this programme, have followed them all the way. What a trouper is Mr Steer!

Florence61

Florence61 Report 10 Oct 2013 22:08

Mersey i have lost my emoticons? How do i get them back, any suggestions as this happened once before but can't remember what i did.

Thanks
Florence in the hebrides

Mersey

Mersey Report 10 Oct 2013 22:18

Florence quite a few are having problems I think you may have to contact GR themselves. I can get them on my laptop but not on my for Iphone for some reason :-0

BC im definitely a fan....~~~~ Mr Steer if hes looking in LOL ;-) :-D :-D

kandj

kandj Report 10 Oct 2013 22:23

We have watched this from the very first programme and loved each one.
The Head is amazing character who supports and encourages all his dedicated staff who get the very best results from each pupil.. Already waiting for the next episode.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 11 Oct 2013 05:08

I love this programme, wish I had had such amazing teachers, I love Mr Steers and the head too and most of the other staff as well. It must have been very daunting for that newly qualified teacher to have to deal witht he attitudes of some of the girls, I know I wouldn't have the patience to teach such as they. I often wonder what the parents of some of those pupils think of the way their kids behave, I would be mortified if I ever thought my son had behaved as badly when he was at school. The girls look so ridiculous with their bleached hair and painted on eyebrows etc. Underneath many of them are nice girls but the image they show is far from nice. I don't think I am a fuddy duddy but I would hate to see a daughter or granddaughter done up the way they are with their makeup and painted nails for school wear. Their attitude stinks too, so rude and bad mouthed and yet when it comes down to it some of them did very well with their gcses.

Lizx

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 11 Oct 2013 08:18

While the teaching staff are obviously doing the best that they can it is not too hard to see why the UK ranks near the bottom of 25 modern countries in numeracy and literacy.

I find the program profoundly depressing.

There is always "Harrow - a Very English School" for another aspect.

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 11 Oct 2013 09:14

IT PROVES THERE ARE SOME REALLY TRUE TEACHERS OUT THERE
LETS HOPE THERE'S MORE OF THEM,
BUT AS USUAL MORE MONEY IS NEEDED IN THE RIGHT PLACE AND PERSON,

AS FOR THE HARROW LOT
I DON'T THINK YOU CAN PRINT WHAT I THINK BECAUSE A LOT OF THAT LOT ARE THE ONES WHO HAVE EVERYTHING AND DON'T EVEN NEED TO TRY,

Mersey

Mersey Report 11 Oct 2013 09:31

I disagree with you Rollo at the end of the day most things start from the home....

Teachers are now restricted in some cases of their teaching, not only in how they teach but in how and what they are allowed to do in a classroom........

If you watched the programme last night the teacher (Mr Steer) was determined to give the children who were failing also not communicating or listening to instructions, to get involved in the subject in a way as the children could relate to and eventually pick up......Some of the pupils were not interested in Maths, giving up before they started but the way he persevered with them all, he eventually got their attention, and he also got them to appreciate the subject and also to appreciate themselves.

Not every child will pass with flying colours, but what they will eventually have is respect , and knowing that even if it is 1 of 20 teachers lets say, never gave up on them........

Not all teachers are the same do not get me wrong....not all schools are the same, far from it.....but to say it is depressing is a little harsh....I found some of the programme inspirational not only from the teachers, but from non teaching staff and definitely some of the pupils....

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 11 Oct 2013 09:36

Been watching Educating Yorkshire from the start and think the staff are fantastic.
Poor Mr Steers was turning into a Zombie.. all bandaged up and limping about!
<3 <3 <3

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 11 Oct 2013 10:00

The teachers are inspiring despite the obstacles they face.
The probable outcomes are depressing. I find it even more depressing when I realise that my niece's children are going to be educated in S Yorks :-(

fwiw I was a maths teacher in a Manchester boy's school for a year - very little has changed over the years. I have no regrets whatsoever on leaving teaching.

For instance I was able get some attention to maths by changing dull theory into practical every day life - basic accounting, probability and odds via creating a horse racing "book", motorbike tuning. For all this I was jumped on from a great height as (a) I did not follow the syllabus and (b) the peace and quiet in my classroom showed that the children were not "engaged". So I told them where to stick it and walked out. A week later I got a letter from the HM beseeching me to return. Too late.

Most teaching - and that includes "Ed. Yorks" - is stuck in a time warp as well as being starved of funds.

Mersey

Mersey Report 11 Oct 2013 10:10

Im not disagreeing about how some teachers are treated , I was disagreeing about the programme being depressing...........

Dawnieher3headaches

Dawnieher3headaches Report 12 Oct 2013 15:40

Love the programme, Mr Mitchell is a bit different to most heads in that he hasn't always been in education a lot of teachers know nothing but schooling gone from being a pupil to being a teacher .

Mr Steer you got to love him and his enthusiasm and well done the girls for coming in early for extra help shows despite all the make up and hair dos they did want to learn shame they didn't quite get the grades they wanted but well done to them for retaking. And how well liked is he the girls were upset when he was hurting and then not teaching them.

Wonder how much wasn't shown because of parents not wanting their children to be seen for how they really are and well done for the parents who agreed to let the footage be shown even if their children weren't angels.

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 13 Oct 2013 09:37

IT'S GOOD TO SEE HOW THE GIRLS ATTITUDE TOWARDS LEARNING CHANGED!!
THEY DID WELL

Mersey

Mersey Report 24 Oct 2013 21:03

Im going to miss Mr.Steers :-(

Mersey

Mersey Report 24 Oct 2013 21:44

How amazing was it to hear Mushraff have a voice !!

Mr Burton is fab too !! Well done him....he is so down to earth and the kids relate to him, lovely to watch :-)

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 24 Oct 2013 21:50

I am going to miss them all on this programme.

Musharraf works so hard with his stammer.

Emma :-)

Edit..pass the tissues

Mersey

Mersey Report 24 Oct 2013 22:01

The speech at the end was totally lovely...I had a few tears if im honest :-)