General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

dog latin

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 12 Dec 2013 20:05

Well who stayed awake during Latin classes at school, who can translate all those irritating phrases which are plastered all over every day life yet unknown to the writers of Breaking Bad and Arsene Wenger.

Here is a quiz:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/10511235/Take-the-test-how-well-do-you-know-your-Latin.html

fwiw my score 85% :-( so no gold star then

Up Pompeii
:-D

Annx

Annx Report 12 Dec 2013 20:14

Well, you did better than me Rollo....75%

O me miserum!! :-S

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 12 Dec 2013 20:26

45%..........and that's for someone who did not do Latin at school !

Having said that......some of the questions are things we say in everyday speech.

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 12 Dec 2013 20:38

95%. I knew I'd eventually find a use for those 6 years of Latin at school though I think my old Latin mistress is probably turning in her grave at the one I got wrong.

Jane

Jane Report 12 Dec 2013 20:42

50% for me and I did Latin for a few terms at school and always came bottom of the class.Even though I quite enjoyed the language.I'm happy enough wit h50% after more than 40 years..Thought I would get ZERO lol

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 12 Dec 2013 20:43

1974: School timetable onThursdays:

Double English, followed by Double French
LUNCH
Double Spanish followed by Double Latin

By Thursday evening, I was very confused.... which is probably why I scored 60%

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 12 Dec 2013 22:40

When did you do Double Dutch ?

My OH swears at me in French ( which I understand ) and Spanish, which I don't. She got 100% and is now confirmed in her idea of y.t. as an imbecile :-(
She has been singing rude songs in Latin ... I had no idea she was a Frankie Howard fan.

It pains me to say so but I think Latin should be much more widely taught in schools, not Mandarin Chinese as the p.m. wants.

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 12 Dec 2013 22:43

80% - I knew all the legal ones as I've been reading criminology stuff for 30 years :-D

Nolls from Harrogate

Nolls from Harrogate Report 12 Dec 2013 22:56

Now Latin is a language
As dead as dead can be
It killed the Ancient Romans
And now it's killing me

Even my Latin teacher saw the funny side when she looked at the back of my jotter ... 60% maybe :-(

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 13 Dec 2013 00:07

:-(55%

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 13 Dec 2013 00:38

65% - and never did Latin

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 13 Dec 2013 01:00

never did Latin

70%

probably got that cos I can yabber in Italian (not fluent!)

Do I get a red white & green star?

:-)

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 13 Dec 2013 06:13

100% - and I was awful at Latin but good at English.

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 13 Dec 2013 07:34

75% never did Latin but I have a reasonable understanding of Spanish which helped.

I can't believe I got ad lib wrong!

Kense

Kense Report 13 Dec 2013 07:56

90%, (I got ad lib and alias wrong), but not bad for someone who failed latin o-level.

BrendafromWales

BrendafromWales Report 13 Dec 2013 09:23

Oh dear......I got an O.level in Latin and only got 60% in the test...My excuse is that I was out last night till midnight....and it was 1951 when I got my O level!!!
In those days you had to have Latin to go to university....how times have changed!

Quod erat demonstrandum..........QED....remember that one from maths! :-S

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 13 Dec 2013 11:21

Illegitimi non carborundum

:-D

This site is very interesting (but not very useful):

http://www.youswear.com/index.asp?language=Latin

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 13 Dec 2013 11:26

70% - and no Latin Lessons :-D

Although our Math Teacher probably did tell us the Latin and its translation for QED, we used to say 'Quite Easily Done'

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 13 Dec 2013 12:27

Got per se and alias and ad hoc wrong. 85%

Quite pleased, but (unlike Guinevere) it was one of my favourite subjects at my alma mater. Have just been reading a biography of a Victorian Latin tutor who uses Latin expressions in both his writing and his poetry. And I felt like a total ignoramus, as I had no real idea what he was on about. I blame my Latin teacher at school - not the student's fault if the tutor has failed to teach him or her properly :-) ;-)

Thanks for that mental test, Rollo. Makes a change from usual bellum belli bello bellorum bellatis bellant (or something similar) :-)

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 13 Dec 2013 14:16

Scientia dicitur esse periculosum paulo