General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Not April 1st is it?

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 22 Dec 2013 12:56

According to the newspapers. Marks & Spencer has told Muslim staff they can refuse to serve shoppers buying alcohol or pork, it has been revealed.

The chain has granted checkout workers in more than 700 stores permission to politely decline to serve customers for religious reasons.

Instead, shoppers are being asked to wait to pay for certain items at a different till.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2527820/Marks-Spencer-tells-Muslim-staff-CAN-refuse-serve-customers-buying-alcohol-pork.html#ixzz2oCwdJ2zF

Unbelievable. What about vegetarians selling meat etc? Can they be excused. PC gone mad. I know what I would do with all the stuff unloaded onto the conveyor belt!! And they are already having problems with not making enough profit. Is this going to help?

Linda

Linda Report 22 Dec 2013 13:07

One word Ann unbelievable

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 22 Dec 2013 13:19

the world has gone mad :-S :-S

lilybids

lilybids Report 22 Dec 2013 13:24

What a bl**dy cheek
crazy world we live in

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 22 Dec 2013 13:33

You'll be directed to another place to pay in any supermarket if the till person is under 18. I don't think it's that big a deal.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 22 Dec 2013 13:34

We don't get directed to another till if the person is under 18 Gwynne, they press the bell and the supervisor comes and authorises it.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 22 Dec 2013 13:38

bacon flavoured crisps? :-S

I reckon they'll be having Muslim only tills with Muslims staffing them - integration? I don't think so

Merlin

Merlin Report 22 Dec 2013 13:40

Its little wonder their Stock Market Price has Dropped,What other Brainwaves have they got to come? If I was told that I would tell them where to stick their goods and never use that store again.

Island

Island Report 22 Dec 2013 13:48

Oh for goodness sake!!!

If someone is offended by certain produce don't take the flamin' job!!!
Nobody is asking them to drink/eat it are they?

I hope they lose customers over this - and I speak as a vegetarian who drinks very little but I'd still serve customers if it was my job to do so.

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 22 Dec 2013 13:58

I would just leave the goods in my trolley or basket and walkout, their problem as it is M&S, excuse the pun, that off their trolley not me :-D

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 22 Dec 2013 14:08

In M&S here you have to go to customer services, it's only a little one, mind.

I really don't think it's worth getting aerated over, just use a different supermarket.

I object to Christian institutions objecting to long opening hours on Sundays but I've learned to live with it. The shops would like to be open all day.

Joeva

Joeva Report 22 Dec 2013 14:15

Just thinking, M&S is jewish owned, as is Tescos, so why do they sell pork products if they are so concerned with religious reasons?

:-S :-S :-S

Merlin

Merlin Report 22 Dec 2013 14:20

Perhaps if M&S in their wisdom (just to accomodate ethnic minorities) decide not to sell those items that they object to it may solve the delemma.However it is a retail outfit i/e a Shop,not a Church, Chapel or Mosque,therefore poeple who are employed there should serve what customers want,not pick and choose.M&S should remember lose your customer, lose your profit,no profit ,no jobs or Company. and another one will bite the dust.

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 22 Dec 2013 14:36

It will take more than this to stop me using M&S. One of my favourite shops and the best for food.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 22 Dec 2013 14:57

I often go shopping with a vegetarian, and as we load /unload the trolley, she wont touch any meat products that I have bought whether its pre- packed, or not.............

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 22 Dec 2013 15:05

A solution would be to have more supervisors/runners.
Just as an under 18 year has to summon an older person to 'allow' the purchase of alcohol, so someone with religious convictions not to handle that or pork can summon someone else to scan and pack it.

Having queued up to have my weekly shopping scanned, I'd be rather miffed to have to join another one for pork and bottles

As a customer, I'd choose a till where the cashier isn't wearing a head covering or has a beard. But then that's discrimination on my part as well, isn't it?

Budgie Rustler

Budgie Rustler Report 22 Dec 2013 15:28

What on earth are devout Muslims doing working at an establishment that condones the selling of pig and alcohol products anyway.
Or were they not aware of that fact before they applied for the job.

Perhaps the said stores should go the whole hog and discontinue the selling of such items altogether.

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 22 Dec 2013 15:31

I pay their wages via my shopping bill......I would leave ALL my goods unpaid for at the checkout.

Anybody going into hospital might like to check whether their meals will contain Halal meat because they wont tell you voluntarily, the same with school meals.

Joeva

Joeva Report 22 Dec 2013 15:31

'Whole hog' Budgie :-D :-D

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 22 Dec 2013 15:46

This calls to mind a secretary I knew left an extremely well paid position to take up a position at a Uni because she felt that tobacco manufacture did not fit in with her beliefs.

This was not of recent years nor was she a Muslim but in 1971 and I think she was of the Baptist faith.

On interviewing, applicants should be asked if they object to serving certain items.
If the reply is 'yes' then 'sorry, no job, we require all customers to be served with their requirements'.