General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Dyson Hoovers!!!

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 8 Jan 2014 15:16

Am I the only person who thinks these are useless!!

I have now over the years had 3 different models of Dyson (from the first Grey/Yellow) to 2 other upgrades.

I have found that for the first few months they are great, then they slowly lose suction. Yes, I check the filter and pipes as recommended but they just do not work well for any length of time.

I have also heard that in many council recycling centres the most popular hoover 'thrown' out is a Dyson.

I did have a great Morphy Richards which they no longer make, but the motor literally gave up after a few years.

So fed up..... :-(

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 8 Jan 2014 15:19

I've had two of them - found they were far to heavy to lug around the house - now have an Oreck which is light and efficient

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 8 Jan 2014 15:26

I do not mind a heavy hoover, just want one that is powerful enough to pick up the rubbish OH and animals seem to constantly bring in.

He does not understand the reason for a doormat!!!!

Seen Orecks on telly, not too sure, seems a lot of money for not a lot of power.

jax

jax Report 8 Jan 2014 15:32

I have one of the 1st ones (DC01) that my parents gave me about 6 months ago.....(it was too heavy for her)

I would say it is the best vacuum cleaner I have ever owned and have had quite a few over the years.....I live in a bungalow so no lugging it upstairs.

I also have a robotic hoover which doesn't work at the moment probably needs new battery.....that was good but took forever

Diamonds-R-A-Girls-Best-Friend

Diamonds-R-A-Girls-Best-Friend Report 8 Jan 2014 15:32

The first Dyson I had was a cylinder and I loved it after that I moved on to the upright and like AnnCardiff I find very heavy and wouldn't buy another.

DazedConfused if your vacuum cleaner is still under guarantee give Dyson a call, the repair man/women will come out and check the suction, replace any worn parts, even the motor.

Lesley x

Staffs Col

Staffs Col Report 8 Jan 2014 15:34

Don't rate Dyson I suck in with more power when I see the electric bill
:-D

Iris

Iris Report 8 Jan 2014 15:40

I'm on my 2nd one in the past 10 years . the 1st one was an upright ,far to heavy for me now ...ive now got a small one ,(had it for the past 2 years) I think its great ,very easy to empty and clean , use it twice a week ,empty once a fortnight , hubby works outside ,so a lot of dirt and mud drags in , iris

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 8 Jan 2014 16:02

Have just had a look at Tesco Direct. My eye was caught by a bagless cylinder Tesco own label for £39.95 with 1400w motor. Adverse comments were lead too short and attachments poor quality.

Loads of positive comments. One lady said she had had a Dyson that conked out in 2 years and she bought this cheap one temporarily. It is much better than Dyson and if she buys one every year for next 8 years, she will still spend less money.

Another said she used to have a Vax - and all the attachments for her old Vax fit her Tesco £39.95 (plus 39 Tesco points).

And only one out of 10 said they would return to an expensive Dyson or Miele or whatever when they have to change their cheap Tesco one. :-D

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 8 Jan 2014 16:07

I only buy pet vax they are good value
and work far better than a dyson

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 8 Jan 2014 16:12

I bought a Vax (the hoover before this one) I took it to the charity shop the day after I bought it, it was totally useless, no suction whatsoever.

Diamonds - the problem for me is that I do not think there is anything wrong with it, it just seems to me that after about 6 months every Dyson I have had just does not remain efficient.

THe first 1 I had, had the engineer out in the first week!!!!

Just no impressed with any that are on the market at the moment.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 8 Jan 2014 16:15

We have 2 Dysons in England, one 5 years old the other new. No problems at all except that it is essential to empty them regularly all the suction drops off.

All of the copy cat cleaners infringe on Dyson copyright which they defend with rigour and success. R&D costs serious money.

If you take apart a Tesco vacuum unit and know even a weeny bit about electrical things you will be able to see (a) it is c-p and (b) borderline dangerous - just like cheap computer and phone power supplies which come from the same Chinese factories.

Quite a lot of Dyson kit has been repaired with Chinese fake parts and then Dyson get the blame. Other consumer kit where Chinese fake parts are getting an alarming foothold are automotive ( esp brakes, clutch, tyres, wipers ) and even worse civil and military aviation.

jax

jax Report 8 Jan 2014 16:25

The only reason we ended up with the Dyson...was because parents were going to give it to my daughter who had just acquired her first home.

She got our year old vax cylinder and we kept the 20 year old dyson...

We have a cat who doesn't go out...I don't go out and HID takes his shoes off when he comes through the door and it amazes me where all this c**p comes from when the rooms are hoovered....even after one day

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 8 Jan 2014 16:58

I have a Dyson Animal (upright) - yes it's heavy, but it gets up the dog's fur and all the dried mud which flakes off him, it's easy to empty and clean, and is pretty robust. Going to get a hand-held to keep upstairs as I hate lugging it up and down our steep staircase!

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 8 Jan 2014 16:59

I have the very small Dyson city DC26, and find it absolutely great for my small flat. Yes, you need to empty it regularly and wash the filters, but that's no problem for me.
It's lightweight, easy to use and doesn't take up much space.

I've had it nearly two years, with no drop off in performance.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 8 Jan 2014 17:06

Have you tried washing the *jug* out as dirt can clog up the holes and stop the suction 100%,,,,,,all heavy Dysons models can be taken apart and given a good wash.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 8 Jan 2014 19:10

goto ( if you haven't already done so)the dyson website,

and check out their frequently asked problems .......they have a really excellent work around to identify why your machine is not up to par...........

what is the most picked up stuff in your house? in mine it is dog fur......

is one of the suction hoses/ducts blocked..............seems unusual that you have the same problems over and over again?

And PS there is no such thing as a Dyson Hoover...........

Hoover is an American manufacturer's trade name....................

Magpie

Magpie Report 8 Jan 2014 19:10

I must say that I love my Dyson! I've had one now since the first one came out, and at the moment I have a DC15 with the roller ball, and it is brilliant, a bit heavy, but as we live in a bungalow that isn't a problem. My daughter swears by her Miele! I guess it's all what takes your fancy!!!

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 8 Jan 2014 19:12

We had a Dyson upright for about 5 years. There was no apparent loss of section until it went to the great Dyson yard in the sky after the motor burnt itself out.

It was heavy but had incredible cleaning abilities even though it did throw off a lot of heated exhaust air when in use.

Because of the weight, and cost, we replaced it with a Vax Air. It seems to work just as well.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 8 Jan 2014 19:23

We have 4............two Dc25's a DC 15, and a DC04
the brush motor drive on one 25 packed up so we bought another 25, only to find out later that it was covered by the guarantee, and was replaced free of charge.

the 15 we have had for absolutely ages and the 04 is currently on loan to our club....

one 25 lives upstairs, the other down stairs so no lifting or lugging around!!

and the 15 is MINE!!!

as in Full metal Jacket, there are many like it, but THIS one is Mine!!
Bob

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 8 Jan 2014 19:27

LOL - Bob, ours was bought as OH's birthday present. Although his mum thought it was a mean present, his eyes lit up when he unwrapped it :-D