General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Madeleine McCann

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 13 Jan 2014 23:06

MADELEINE McCann’s parents have been given fresh hope as Scotland Yard detectives prepare to make three arrests in connection with her disappearance.

It will be the first arrests made by Operation Grange since the elite unit were set up to review the case
in 2011.

British prosecutors sent an International Letter of Request to the Portuguese authorities on behalf of
the Metropolitan Police this week.

It is in preparation for British officers being sent to Portugal to make formal arrests of three key suspects and bring them into custody for questioning.

Police have identified a gang of burglars operating in Praia da Luz at the time Madeleine went missing in May 2007. The McCanns’ spokesman Clarence Mitchell said: “Kate and Gerry remain very pleased with the work Scotland Yard continue to do.”

Analysis of mobile phone activity shows three men made numerous calls to each other in the hours after Madeleine vanished.

A source close to the McCanns said: “The International Letter of Request is a significant development. It is necessary for British police to request the Portuguese authorities allow them to operate on their turf.

“We don’t know who they have their sights on but it’s likely it is burglars who had been operating in the area.”

Days before Madeleine’s disappearance, the gang tried to burgle another holiday flat in the resort, disturbing a child.

A source said: “At the time, Portuguese police attached no significance to the burglary. British officers regard this as an oversight.”

Officers from Operation Grange are understood to be making the arrests.

They will also take the lead when the suspects are interrogated.

The source said: “Kate and Gerry don’t want to build up their hopes too high but they realise it could be a significant new lead.”

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 13 Jan 2014 23:58

strange :-S I was quite heartened by this report- surely I can't be the only one

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 14 Jan 2014 00:03

Thank gawd I am still here for a couple of days.....

These would be the burglars who forensically cleaned 5a before they left through the locked/unlocked doors, jemmied/not jemmied shutters, left no DNA or fingerprints (not even MBM's).

Strangely according to Portuguese newspapers today the PJ haven't had any letters of request regarding these 3 patsi......err suspects.

It's pink spin in my view to counter what is happening in Portugal re the libel case.

Just call me an old cynic :-D

Anyone wants to disagree I am here for 2 more days ;-)

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 14 Jan 2014 00:06

two more days eh!!! I shall very much miss your dry wit on here - no more commodes being dragged on threads - sad :-D

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 14 Jan 2014 00:07

lolol no I'll drag it to your house :-D mwaaahhhh

X Lairy- Fairy

X Lairy- Fairy Report 14 Jan 2014 00:17

im sure if i was to burgle a home the last thing i would take is a child .. blimey whatever next

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 14 Jan 2014 00:23

*presses 'like' button*

X Lairy- Fairy

X Lairy- Fairy Report 14 Jan 2014 00:32

its all a pathetic excuse , i cant believe we are all more knowledgeable the police

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 14 Jan 2014 05:06

Not sure what to think, except that the Portuguese police messed up right from the start!

Madeleine has been gone from her family longer than she was with them, if she is alive I dread to think of the confusion in her mind. It would be very hard for her to integrate into the family again and get into education in UK etc, poor child.

Lizx

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 14 Jan 2014 05:57

Anyone who has watched the program 'Judge Judy' will know she often makes the comment "If it doesn't sound right then it aint true"

There is something about this case that hasn't sounded right since day one.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 14 Jan 2014 06:59

I have thought the same, ISP

Lizx

wisechild

wisechild Report 14 Jan 2014 07:09

Unfortunately, so have I & most of my friends, both ex pat & Spanish.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 14 Jan 2014 08:55

Sadly no matter what happened that night I don't think Madeleine is still alive :-(

SueMaid

SueMaid Report 14 Jan 2014 09:15

I would think - although I'm no expert - that burglars burgle and kidnappers kidnap. Why would you break in and then kidnap a child?

~Lynda~

~Lynda~ Report 14 Jan 2014 09:30

I'd have answered before Ann, but I've been away. Having been in a situation, where my daughter slipped my hand, in the West End of London, when she was 4 years old, and was missing for just half an hour, I know that the little bits of news I got from the police, whilst they were looking for her was all welcome news, she was found by a couple, who took her to the shop, where, my daughter luckily enough, knew we were going to. Can't imagine the pain the McCann's go through every day since Madeleine went missing, but I hope this bit of news, even though it maybe unconnected to her disapearance, gives them hope, to finding out what happened to Madeleine. They have my comple sympathy.

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 14 Jan 2014 10:33

Everyone who knows of this case would like to know what happened to Madeleine. There are just too many contradictory statements in the police files and please don't forget it was the UK police who first put forward the theory that she is no longer in this world.

Of course mistakes were made at the very start, not helped by any of the people on the group holiday who misled the investigators.

The evidence (not our suspicions) point in a different direction to the latest theory. All the police files are available to the public as are the translations where necessary from Portuguese.

It has been 'wrong' from day one and I hope that there is justice for Madeleine sooner rather than later.

KittytheLearnerCook

KittytheLearnerCook Report 14 Jan 2014 11:17

Whatever has happened to Madeleine, she deserves to be either reunited with her family or laid to rest.

All her family, close and extended, have my deepest sympathy, they must be in torment not knowing what happened that night and subsequently .

xx

PollyinBrum

PollyinBrum Report 14 Jan 2014 11:19

I agree with all you have said Sue. Just suppose for one moment the group of burglars that the Police have identified were operating in Praia da Luz at the time Madeleine went missing are still hanging around for the police to interview them.

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 14 Jan 2014 12:29

maybe the answers are much closer to home :-( :-(

StrayKitten

StrayKitten Report 14 Jan 2014 19:24

I agree with sue, the only person my thoughts go out to is little maddie,
Bless her,
<3