General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Does anyone know how

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

PollyinBrum

PollyinBrum Report 29 Mar 2014 22:45

To make bread pudding please?

Sharron

Sharron Report 29 Mar 2014 22:55

I am a chucker and dolloper.

I tear up all the stale bread and soak it overnight. Usually I put the fruit in with it to soak and pour hot water on.

Next day you have to squeeze all the water out that you can and I hate doing it. eugh,eugh,eugh!

Mix in an egg or two, lump of fat and some sugar with plenty of mixed spice.

In to tin with foil over it or it comes out all crust.

In to lowish oven and hope it is done while you are still young enough to enjoy it.

There will be somebody on here who knows how to do it properly!

Sometimes I will put it in a basin and steam it which like better.

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 29 Mar 2014 23:36

If in doubt.............Google. :-) :-) :-)

patchem

patchem Report 29 Mar 2014 23:44

I have not had success with the squeezing out method. Ends up very wet and so takes hours to cook and stays too soggy.

I thought I had a good recipe from The Guardian, but cannot remember using ale or tea, but the picture looks correct:

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2009/feb/28/recipes-baking-currant-bread-pudding

Added:
Definitely that picture, so must have used tea.
Daughter has also used it so must be OK.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 29 Mar 2014 23:45

I would use milk, not water, to soak the bread

But I would also do as PH suggested ................ google.

I must have at least 100 cook books, but find I use google much more than the books :-)

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 29 Mar 2014 23:59

This is the website for recipes from the Australian Women's Weekly magazine:

http://www.aww.com.au/food/recipe-search/

I haven't checked, but I'm sure there's a recipe for bread pudding.

:-)

btw........ the magazine used to be weekly, but about 20 years ago it went monthly......... it may be confusing, but they had a good reason to keep the original name.

:-D

Syvia ~ we must have similar bookshelves in our kitchens, I also have over 100 cookbooks... and a ring-folder full of recipes I've either downloaded or been given. At least 30 of my books are AWW.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 30 Mar 2014 00:05

LS ..................

you'd be surprised how many AWW cook books I have :-)

plus the ring binders (plural!) full of cut-out recipes ..................... including ones from OZ and NZ.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 30 Mar 2014 00:39

No idea. My mum made the best bread pudding ever, but I never made it :-(

Sister and I used to try to 'entice' friends with mum's tripe recipe.
It was only in 2011, a year before she died, that we learnt she never cooked the tripe in milk (as both sis & I believed), but in water - and added cornflour to give texture :-|

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 30 Mar 2014 02:02

:-D Sylvia

I'm not surprised any more at who has and where I find AWW cookbooks!

A (US male) friend who lives in Germany has a collection.

When we went out of Oz for work, I took two cookbooks... Margaret Fulton's Encyclopedia of Cooking and the first AWW dinner party book..... and came back with an exercise book full of recipes I got from family & friends. I left the AWW book with an Irish friend and got a new one when we came home.

You can tell by looking at my books which recipes are favourites...... the pages are stained :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 30 Mar 2014 03:38

LS

we did live in OZ for a year in 2005/2006 .................. hence all the cut out recipes, and about 10 cookbooks.

I've always bought at least one cookbook wherever we have visited ................. trying to get the "local" written one.

But also, AWW cook books are now freely available over here ............. both in book stores and also in the catalogues of a book remainder company that we often purchase books from.

I just have to remember that the AWW cup is 10 oz, whereas the North American cup is 8 oz :-)

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 30 Mar 2014 05:13

Tablespoon is different too!

Oz Tablespoon = 2 fluid ounces (1fl oz / 28.41ml)

I don't remember exactly what the Brit Tablespoon is, but it's a teeny bit smaller than Oz, if I'm using a recipe from Brit cousins I use 3 Oz teaspoons!

Measurements are crazy! British/Australian/American! I have no idea what is used in Canada.

British Imperial pint is 20 fl oz...... American pint is 16 fl oz :-(

I'm happy using metric measurements.... so much easier.

I much prefer using weight measurements to cups.

American recipes are annoying, especially "one stick of butter"... why can't they just say 4 ounces!!??

I have old recipe books .......... example...... 1 gill of milk :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 30 Mar 2014 05:28

LS

I'm the same as you :-)

One of my favourite cook books was left with the gas stove when we moved into a house in 1951 .................. it was in its 10th edition then :-)

I think the "stick of butter" comes from the fact that you used to buy butter in sticks in the US ............... one pack contained 4 sticks. We lived in the US from 1967 to 68, and I haven't bought butter in the US since we left, so I have no idea as to whether you still can buy it that way.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 30 Mar 2014 06:03

lol Sylvia

We were in the US in the 80s....... butter in a 1 lb box, 4 sticks. We were there for a brief visit about 8 years ago.......4 sticks.

They probably still package it that way.

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 30 Mar 2014 08:35

We Scots like our whisky - so try this one :-)

10 - 12 thick slices of bread
soft butter
4 cups whole milk
4 - 6 large eggs, slightly beaten
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sultanas
2 teaspoons vanilla essence
1 tablespoon or more ;-) of whisky
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Spread butter generously on one side of each slice of bread.
Line bottom and sides of baking dish with buttered bread.
Mix milk, beaten eggs, sugar, salt, raisins, vanilla, Whiskey and cinnamon and pour over bread.
Place extra pieces of buttered bread on top, press down to submerge.
Let stand 10 minutes, longer if bread is very dry.
Bake, cover for 30 minutes, then uncover for 30 minutes; total 60 minutes.
Put under grill uncovered until top becomes a deep-golden crust.
Serve warm with custard, cream, or for a real treat tryit with ice-cream

patchem

patchem Report 30 Mar 2014 09:46

OneFootInTheGrave

You have given a delicious recipe for bread and butter pudding, not bread pudding.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 30 Mar 2014 09:57

I'm a dolloper as well, but use suet for the fat content. There are vegetarian suets for those who don't eat animals. We also use brown sugar of any description.

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 30 Mar 2014 09:58

Oops - shows what some of us men know about cooking :-D

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 30 Mar 2014 10:05

OFITG ~ would you like a cheat's recipe for dumpling?

For non-Scots, I don't mean those things you put in stews!

Sharron

Sharron Report 30 Mar 2014 10:30

As for recipes and measures, I think you have to remember how they evolved.

Cookery is essentially a way to make food safe and palatable. It has evolved as a way of using what is available.. A recipe is just a way of reproducing an effect in a more modern world where the ingredients are all likely to be available together on more than one occasion.

For most of the history of mankind chucking and dolloping, not to mention getting out there poking about to find it first, was the only way of preparing sustenance.

British measures evolved in the comparatively luxurious comfort of a static kitchen whereas the Australian and American measuring systems of cups evolved from the frontiersman spirit of new countries.

To forge ahead across unfamiliar terrain it is necessary to carefully calculate what might be needed and to carry as little unnecessary equipment as possible. There would be cups and eating spoons so these would be used as ways to apportion the supplies.

Bread pudding is essentially a way to use up left overs where you never calculate exactly what will be available. It's a chuck and dolloper if ever there was one!

So there!

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 30 Mar 2014 10:32

LadyScozz - if you mean clootie dumpling, I have my Gran's recipe tucked away somewhere.