General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

MRI scan

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Wend

Wend Report 31 Mar 2014 10:00

I am having an MRI scan this morning. I know that I can't wear any metal jewellery, but does that include my wedding ring? I hope not, because I can't get it off :-D

Anyone know?

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 31 Mar 2014 10:05

Hi Wend :-) :-) <3

First of all- I wish you all the best for your scan :-)
It's not at all bad. I had one last year. You feel a slight knocking vibration sometimes and it's a bit noisy- but they give you head phones.

I think you will have to ask about your ring. I think you do need to take it off, perhaps they will be able to grease it off with something. I was worried about the metal posts in my bridgework but that metal is ok apparently. It's because the scan works by magnetism, that's why you can't wear metal.

Don't worry about it- it will be fine <3 <3

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 31 Mar 2014 10:06

I HAD TO TAKE ALL METALS INCLUDING GOLD AND SILVER
I THINK ITS BECAUSE AL THE MAGNETS IN IT

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 31 Mar 2014 10:08

Don't know the answer, but don't worry about it - they've probably come across that problem before and have a 'work-around'. My dad had gold fillings; obviously they couldn't be removed! Apart from complaining about the noise, he didn't report any discomfort.

I've heard of men who have pieces of shrapnel lodged inside them - they can still have the MRI but are told to yell if they feel anything 'unusual'. In that instance, there was the concern that the magnets would cause movement. Gold is inert.

Sharron

Sharron Report 31 Mar 2014 10:27

Good luck Wend.

Mersey

Mersey Report 31 Mar 2014 10:29

Wendawoowoo Im thinking of you as always :-D <3

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 31 Mar 2014 10:35

Hope all goes well with your scan Wend <3 I found this and according to the last paragraph you should be able to wear a gold wedding band as it is not magnetic.

What will happen when I arrive at the MRI unit?

Before you enter the scan room, the MRI staff need to make sure you don't have any metal objects on you.

You will be asked to:

Change out of your clothes into a hospital gown
Remove metal items such as watches, belts, keys, coins, jewellery, mobile phones, credit cards etc.
Remove piercings
Remove metallic dentures.
Remove make up.
Go through the questionnaire about your past medical history.
You may require a cannula to be put in your arm.

By wearing a hospital gown, the staff can be sure that there isn't any metal hidden in your clothes.

The MRI staff will ask you to remove jewellery as this can be pulled off by the strong magnetic field, possibly injuring you or damaging the scanner. You may wear a gold wedding band as it is not magnetic.

~`*`Jude`*`~

~`*`Jude`*`~ Report 31 Mar 2014 10:44

Hope all goes well Wend...take care

jude xx

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 31 Mar 2014 10:48

Wend ~ I had an MRI a few months ago... like you, my wedding ring won't come off. I was a bit concerned, but they said there was no problem, in fact I left ALL my rings on.

If you're wearing.. for example jeans with a metal button you might have to take them off.

They didn't make me wear one of those horrible paper gowns, I ony had to take off my shoes.

Edit........... no problem with an underwire bra either :-)

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 31 Mar 2014 10:59

Good luck Wend, hoping all goes well for you <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

PollyinBrum

PollyinBrum Report 31 Mar 2014 11:04

Good luck Wendy, I hope all goes well for you. :-) <3 <3

SueMaid

SueMaid Report 31 Mar 2014 11:16

Thinking of you Wend <3

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 31 Mar 2014 11:26

I had the MRI with the "nuclear" injection.... no problems with any metal I was wearing, including 4 piercings (ears) & rings (6 on fingers), or the zipper in my shorts....... can't remember if I had to take off my watch.

Nearly forgot........ I also have pieces of tungsten, keeping bones together. They didn't catch fire or explode.

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 31 Mar 2014 11:40

You will be alright Wend.

Just do what you usually do.........

Lie back and think of England and check out for any cobwebs!

Good luck.

<3 <3 <3

KittytheLearnerCook

KittytheLearnerCook Report 31 Mar 2014 11:44

Good luck Wend.xx

Island

Island Report 31 Mar 2014 11:46

Is it too late to add, if you are injected with dye it makes you feel as if you have peed yourself :-0 Enjoy :-D

I had an MRI about four years ago and wasn't asked to remove any jewellery - not that I was blinged up but I always wear earrings.

All the best Wend xx

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 31 Mar 2014 13:31

Had one last Thursday Wend and never mentioned my wedding ring,
only about my Bra ;-) :-D

Emma :-)

Edit......and as usual Wend am late with info <3 <3

Wend

Wend Report 31 Mar 2014 13:42

I'm back :-D

Phew - glad that's over. When I first went in, she asked me if I'd ever had an MRI scan before and because I've had various scans over the years, I said I couldn't remember. Well, now I remember . . . . . I haven't!!! :-0 I went in without a care in the world and hobbled out like a little old lady. Also, what's the point of giving you soothing music to listen to - you can't bleddy hear it :-|

Thanks for all your nice/funny messages and, Lady Scozz, I didn't have to remove my wedding ring. They would have had to cut it off anyway! I did have to strip off to my knicks though :-| Also, OFITG, they didn't ask me to remove my make-up - did they you then? ;-) :-D

By the way, if anyone's having an MRI scan sometime soon, it'll be fine, it really will :-D

Now, where was I >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> :-D

Graham

Graham Report 31 Mar 2014 13:46

I had a brain scan once; but they couldn't find anything :-)

Wend

Wend Report 31 Mar 2014 13:48

Same here Graham :-D :-D :-D