General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

That's disappointing

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 30 Apr 2014 22:24

Hankering back to something that probably never was, I was thinking about how the cool place to be was the Wimpy in North Street.

I Googled their menu and, do you know, they don't do a Knickerbocker Glory any more?!

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 30 Apr 2014 23:11

I didn't know Wimpy still existed!

Hadn't seen one locally in the North East for years so just checked their website, nearest one is in Scotland.

Sharron

Sharron Report 30 Apr 2014 23:14

Well,I know of at least two within a days journey of here but I won't be going there because they don't do Knickerbocker Glories any more.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 30 Apr 2014 23:16

I do remember happy times on a Friday night going to Wimpys before heading home after a good night out.

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 1 May 2014 00:07

WHEN I WAS HAVING MY DAUGHTER 45 YRS AGO I CRAVED WIMPY'S
PROBLEM THEY DIDN'T SELL TAKEAWAYS

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 1 May 2014 04:45

Oh Sharron, this thread brings back memories! When I first left school I wanted to earn more money so had an evening job at the Wimpy bars in Norwich, moved to various ones according to work available as they were owned (franchised) by the same person. I still remember the burgers, and the Knickerbocker Glories and Chocolate Bowlers, the Coke/Lemonade floats etc and whenever I see a Wimpy bar when we are out and about I have to go in and have something.

We have one in Lowestoft (I think it's still there) and there is one in King's Lynn so if we are that way we visit. The burgers don't taste the same now but they do a lovely desert, I think it's called Eskimo Waffles so I do indulge my sweet tooth then.

I used to long for my breaks so I could have a good nosh lol

Lizx

Florence61

Florence61 Report 1 May 2014 07:25

Oh Wimpys!Yes saturday morning my friend and I always went to wimpy and got a portion of chips and a "Brown Derby"

I was in Dingwall a few years ago and suddenly spotted a Wimpy. I took OH and children in and they thought it was great complete with nostalgic music!

They are few and far between and mostly near motorways i think with the odd few dotted around. Preferred them anyday to their rival M*******ds.

I had a knickerbockerglory in Dingwall a few years ago so would be sorry to learn it had been taken off the menu, what a shame!
Florence
in the hebrides :-)

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 1 May 2014 08:14

I remember we went into one in Maldon earlier this year, and was telling the chap how we used to cook at a griddle in front of the customers

Lizx

Sharron

Sharron Report 1 May 2014 09:23

Thy did proper fried onions then didn't they?

Graham

Graham Report 1 May 2014 09:48

I used to like their spicy bean burgers and the milk shakes that were so thick, you needed a suction pump to get the stuff up through the straw.

Sharron

Sharron Report 1 May 2014 10:00

I don't remember their shakes being thick.

I do remember having one in McDonalds about thirty years ago, after the time I frequented the Wimpy, and not thinking much to it because it was thick.

That must have been around the time that milkshakes became thick generally.

Graham

Graham Report 1 May 2014 11:00

Perhaps it was just me ;-) :-S :-)

PollyinBrum

PollyinBrum Report 1 May 2014 11:29

I remember the two rather handsome hunky young men who used to "flip" the Burgers. I can't say I remember much about the food. ;-) ;-) ;-)

Graham

Graham Report 1 May 2014 13:10

:-D :-D :-D

They weren't Wimpy men then Paula?

:-)

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 1 May 2014 13:31

No,they were just Wimps..

Ron2

Ron2 Report 1 May 2014 22:04

Wimpy place in Doncaster, S yorks

Ron2

Ron2 Report 1 May 2014 22:07

When serving in Army in Aldershot then Southampton I used to travel home on m'bike and have a break in Oxford and have a cheeseburger in Wimpy at St Giles

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 2 May 2014 04:36

oh dear!!

I remember the first Wimpy opening in my home town in Lancashire, must have been late 50s / early 60s

I also remember being horribly disappointed when we went in there ............. the hamburger tasted like sawdust!

Have never been in a Wimpy since

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 2 May 2014 04:44

Must have been a disappointment Sylvia, I have the idea in my mind that they were tastier than those today.

I loved the milkshakes too, loved them because they were thick.

Lizx

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 2 May 2014 06:26

Liz ...............

they were plain awful!

We just blamed those darn Americans!