General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

what a load of old balony....

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Karen in the desert

Karen in the desert Report 2 May 2014 13:43

Jeremy Clarkson is in big trouble...again!
But did "that word wot he said" actually get broadcast on the show a few years ago or has it recently reared its head out of the archives as an 'out-take' that was never broadcast?

Ok, looking at it in simple terms....

1. IF what J Clarkson said was broadcast.
Such a HUGE furore over the word because it is racist and offensive, apparently. And yet, how often do I hear the F word (and worse) in an assortment of other programmes on telly, but that apparently is not offensive. Hmmmm. I beg to differ. There's a certain chef who is allowed to F and blind constantly throughout his programmes week in, week out. As I say, I'm no prude but I don't want to hear it said 20+ times in the course of a 30 minute programme. Used so often it seems to give licence for every Tom Dick and Harry to consider it acceptable now.
So who is it at the 'Bad word Police HQ' who decides what is and what isn't allowed/acceptable? Cos I think they're kind of lopsided in their views.

2. IF what J Clarkson said was not broadcast.
Then all the fuss is a load of old baloney!!

Island

Island Report 2 May 2014 14:00

Quite right. A load of old baloney.

Silly Sausage

Silly Sausage Report 2 May 2014 14:18

Ive just been watching this on the news, the rhyme as know it is :

eeny meany niney mo
catch the baby on the po
when its done wipe its bum
with a piece of chewing gum......

sooooo how the N word got in the rhyme I dont know :-S

BarbinSGlos

BarbinSGlos Report 2 May 2014 14:37

A while back I worked alongside a ( now what is the politically correct word as it has changed so often ) I shall say black girl. We were asked for one of us to do a job neither of us liked very much.

I started , eeny meeny miney mo, catch a ...........then I stopped and must have looked horrified. My colleague put her arms around me and finished off the rhyme and we both laughed together.

Island

Island Report 2 May 2014 15:03

It was the N word when I was a child. We'd rattle it of with no nasty intent as 'that word' wasn't considered to be racist then. So I can understand how Clarkson almost said it.
Why has this unused footage come to light anyway? Is there some bad news to bury?
I'm no Clarkson fan but I feel for the guy.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 2 May 2014 15:22

I watched the outtake and unless my hearing is impaired which I dont think it is,,,,,,,,,,he never said that word,,,,,infact you couldnt really make out what word it was ,,,,,,,,but def not a clear voiced word as that....it was 2 years ago as I understand,,,,,,, :-S

Lyndi

Lyndi Report 2 May 2014 15:35

The 'N' word was the version I knew as a child. As Island says, no nastiness intended, I certainly wasn't familiar with the word 'racism'. Does anyone remember that along with 'bottle green', 'navy blue', 'battleship grey' we had 'N word brown'.
Along with my times tables, the little rhymes we learnt as children are said almost automatically and it would be easy for me to inadvertently offend - same as if I mentioned the little Robinson's mascot without thinking.

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 2 May 2014 16:15

My hearing's pretty good and I heard exactly what he said. I think it was a Freudian slip, but he definitely said it.

Sharron

Sharron Report 2 May 2014 16:55

My mate, who was a guerrilla fighter against apartheid at one time, finds our attitude to racism quite amusing.

If you had a black cat or dog when I was a child you would be more likely to call it the unsayable word than anything else.

As I recall, watching 'Til Death Us Do Part' made us laugh more at bigoted racists than it did at anybody else.

Mauatthecoast

Mauatthecoast Report 2 May 2014 18:04

I'd not heard anything about this until this morning.

I've just listened to Clarkson's apology and the recordings on YTube , there is a slight mumble of the word, but only knew it was THE word because of the history of previous use.

Silly boy he should have said ..........
"Dip your shoe is dirty
Put the other one in" :-D

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 2 May 2014 19:07

Harriet Harmen is calling for him to be sacked. It is the likes of her that causes Racism problems. I frequently used the N word and lots of others like it. As I come from North London I had a lot of Black friends and they and their families never took offence.

Karen in the desert

Karen in the desert Report 2 May 2014 19:22

As I remember, our 5th year school play was "10 little ner-ner boys".
Nobody batted an eyelid.

As the footage is old but has suddenly cropped up now, my guess is that someone somewhere is either extremely bored or out to get Clarkson.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 2 May 2014 19:37

bugger all else to do, another slack day at the office methinks

Dame*Shelly*(

Dame*Shelly*("\(*o*)/") Report 2 May 2014 19:53

i only no this version
what my nanna tech me

eeny meany niney mo
catch a little piglet by the toe
if it quills let it go
eeny meany niney mo

same as this little piggy went to market

as she was born 1892 these rims must go way back

dident Clarkson make a racist remark before on tv

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 2 May 2014 20:38

trouble is, the dogooders come out and say thats' not a nice word to use,lets change it for something new

eg the word now is "Gay"

I don't really know the modern word for a non white person.....whichever version I know and could use, most likely it would offend someone

the board used now in class is a whiteboard..........shouldn't I be offended?

I guess that it was changed because the chalk dust could be dodgy for teachers, causing breathing complaints...........
never mind their smoking,and smelly breath they breathed over me.....

on the other hand, on TV, far worse words are used more and more, such as "mother" joined to the word for "coitus"........

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 2 May 2014 22:23

My gran had a dog called the "n" word back in the day, and I recall buying a winter coat which was sold as that colour

I often watch a programme on the Reality channel called "Bait Car" - it's 99% ethnic Americans who steal the bair cars - there are cameras and microphones in the cars so you can see and hear everything they do - they constantly call each other the "n" word - it's in every day usage between them - apparently the word originated from the River Nigre somewhere in Africa

Karen in the desert

Karen in the desert Report 3 May 2014 07:38

That's exactly it Ann, what's unacceptable in one country, or one community, is often quite meaningless in another....but I do think that the PC brigade take it too far in the UK.
There's a word we used to use to describe people from Pakistan, but which is now deemed unacceptable, and yet I have heard those people use the very same word amongst themselves and not meaning anything bad by it!
We call an Australian an Aussie and a New Zealander a Kiwi, while a British person a Brit, a Pom or a Limey and I can't see anything offensive in that, but I guess at some point the PC do-gooders will demand we no longer use those words. :-(

I recall using the word gay to describe something bright, colourful and cheerful. It's another word which has now taken on a totally different meaning, the original meaning lost forever,

P.S. Yes Lyndi, I remember collecting the Robinson's labels to get the little mascot - the name of which we dare not utter these days, yet didn't all of us (little girls) have a soft one to play with when we were little.

Silly Sausage

Silly Sausage Report 3 May 2014 07:55

Bob I think its wipe board not white board. :-D

Karen in the desert

Karen in the desert Report 3 May 2014 08:06

Prob not allowed to say White board :-(

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 3 May 2014 08:44

you can call me a Taffy if you like - doesn't bother me - pleased that people recognise I'm Welsh :-D :-D