General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Places of interest

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

~Lynda~

~Lynda~ Report 12 May 2014 15:12

At the back of the very busy St Pancras station, there is a church called St Pancras Old church, In the graveyard of the church, there is a very peculiar sight, it was made when Thomas Hardy was working there, he was excavating some graves, and the headstones were placed around a tree, the headstones stayed, and the roots of the tree have pulled the the headstones into it, if you google Thomas Hardy tree, or Old St Pancras church you can see some great photo's of the tree. The church itself is beautiful too, middle of London, yet once you go through the gates, you could be in the middle of the country, Many of my ancestors had baptisms and funerals there long ago.

Where are the places of interest you never tire of seeing?

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 12 May 2014 15:16

The open door of my favourite pub never ceases to draw me in.

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 12 May 2014 15:19

I know St Pancras Old Church very well. I also know the tree that your mention Lynda. It certainly is a spooky tree.

Some of my ancestors were married and baptised there too.

Some lived in what was Agar Town, which I believe is where Fagin was situated in Oliver Twist.

St Pancras has changed beyond all recognition over the past few years.

In Summer when walking the dog, I also enjoy sitting at the top of Parliament Hill. I can just imagine Guy Fawlkes and his cohorts sitting there too, waiting for the House of Parliament to blow up.

Just down the road, Little Green Street where Oscar Wilde used to entertain his young friends.........................

So much history, and each time I look and see something new.

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 12 May 2014 15:20

#tuts#

Trust you eRRol to lower the tone!

:-D :-D

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 12 May 2014 15:24

oopsie

It is very nice though.

~Lynda~

~Lynda~ Report 12 May 2014 15:25

It's a beautiful church isn't it MG. I also love St Pancras station. It really is changing at SP isn't it, I got sent some new properties from there, very pricey, but so central to everything.

Joeva

Joeva Report 12 May 2014 15:55

Found this Lynda when look through some images on Google of the Hardy Tree..... I found it quite interesting regarding the reburying of the remains of those originally buried in St.Pancras churchyard.. and other burial grounds in the area. Some good pics on here.

http://familygrowsontrees.com/research/st-pancras-london/cemetries/

~Lynda~

~Lynda~ Report 12 May 2014 16:03

Thanks for that Jo, I had a quick look, but will read it properly later on. It's such a lovely church, it has a peace about it, especially as it's in the middle of St Pancras, I must pop in there again when I'm in the area :-D

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 12 May 2014 19:16

Lynda, thanks for this thread. I've just had a look a info and photos on Google. My great great grandfather was married there.

~Lynda~

~Lynda~ Report 12 May 2014 19:22

TS, if you like, when I go next, I'll take some photo's and send them to you via email.

When I was last there, someone was getting married, and I thought what a lovely place to be married, it's a small church, so very intimate :-D

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 12 May 2014 19:25

I would love a photo Lynda and I appreciate your offer very much. I'll use one on my family tree on my great great grandfathers page. I'll pm my email address to you

Wendy xx

~Lynda~

~Lynda~ Report 12 May 2014 19:30

More than happy to do that Wendy, and if anyone else wants photo's, just let me know :-D

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 12 May 2014 19:36

My g-g-g-grandmother was butied at St Ann's, Blackfriars. The church was destroyed in 1666 but the burial ground was retained until 1849. The site of the nave of the church is now a public garden, off Ireland Yard, one of those little peaceful places that never fail to delight in the heart of London.

~Lynda~

~Lynda~ Report 12 May 2014 19:49

London has so many peaceful places doesn't it Sheila? Those who say London is just full of hustle and bustle don't really know London :-D

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 12 May 2014 20:16

Just along Euston Road, beside St Pancras Parish Church [not the same as the Old Church], there is a cul de sac with shops.

There are cobbles on the road, the shops all have bow-front windows, and it is wonderful. A real slice of history.

Ruby In The Dust, with Billie Piper, was filmed there.

Wend

Wend Report 12 May 2014 20:26

I'm loving this thread - lots of my rellies were born, lived and died in St. Pancras. I need to check them all out, but don't have the time right now, which is really annoying :-(

I shall be going to St. Pancras Station for the first time since it's been refurbished on Friday, so I'm looking forward to seeing it. :-D

I think I need to take a day-trip up there in the not-too-distant future.

~Lynda~

~Lynda~ Report 12 May 2014 20:47

St Pancras Parish Church, is also interesting, although not so much as the Old church, in my opinion, I'm not religious, but I love churches, I went to a church along the road from the Ritz a few weeks back, it was so peaceful inside, and it had a corner there where you could post a prayer for someone, I wrote some words for a near relatives sister who is terminally ill, and posted it on the wall, thought wht a lovely idea it was.

Wendy I could spend the day in St Pancras station, I love it, the architecture, the feeling, everything about it, as a child I used to go there with friends, just for the sake of it, we all loved it, think I love it more now though :-D

Don't forget to go upstairs to see the John Betjeman statue, it's great. Have a good day Friday :-D

Wend

Wend Report 12 May 2014 20:52

Sadly, I shall only be passing through on my way to the Sheffield meet Lynda, but it's definitely now on my bucket list :-D

Kay????

Kay???? Report 12 May 2014 21:20

If you visit the Museum of London ,,, a hop away is the splendid Postmans Park EC1 is a must ,so pretty to sit and eat a packed lunch in. very peaceful :-D

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 12 May 2014 21:23

LOVE LOOKING ROUND GRAVEYARDS