General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I´m gobsmacked

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

wisechild

wisechild Report 13 May 2014 17:48

Just found someone who has info about my grandmother´s brother who died in WW1.
This person has a private tree on Ancestry with 79,399 names.
Wonder what they know about my family. :-0 :-0 :-0 :-0 :-0

KittytheLearnerCook

KittytheLearnerCook Report 13 May 2014 17:56

The problem is we all share our ancestral family with countless people.

This sounds like a name collector who is just adding as many people as possible, but apart from names and dates,has no other information or interest in any of them.

There are a few like that out there..............strange but true :-)

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 13 May 2014 18:23

Some times 'the hunt' can take you over - you spend ages tracking down a distant twig of a twig......just because you can! :-)

Mind you, 79399 names is rather excessive.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 13 May 2014 18:44

that's not a tree - it's a whole forest :-D

KittytheLearnerCook

KittytheLearnerCook Report 13 May 2014 20:00

Det.....that is what I do sometimes, but I am plain nosey :-D

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 13 May 2014 20:08

I don't know how many names Kitty has on her tree now, but I wouldn't dream of claiming all of them, even though we found that we are distantly related.

(She wouldn't want mine either, with an English and a seperate Welsh set of JONES families, valleys full of DAVIES and fields full of tater pickers in Sussex and Herefordshire.)

Gwyn

KittytheLearnerCook

KittytheLearnerCook Report 13 May 2014 20:13

Gwyn I have hardly got out of Sussex with mine......apart from the nomadic Newmans 3 of them were hiding in Manchester and Alfred went to London!!!! .

What a gadabout he was :-D :-D

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 13 May 2014 20:18

;-)

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 13 May 2014 20:25

Everything they will have found is in the public domain

KittytheLearnerCook

KittytheLearnerCook Report 13 May 2014 20:29

True DC, all our dirty laundry and skeletons are out there somewhere................*goes off to search some more* :-D

Dame*Shelly*(

Dame*Shelly*("\(*o*)/") Report 13 May 2014 22:10

i have to keep reminding my self not to branch to fare side ways
trouble is when im board i just can not help my self

but my tree looks biger than it is as i have both my side of grandparents and the old mans joined together so properly looks off putting to some

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 13 May 2014 22:38

love the avatar Shelly!! :-D

Dame*Shelly*(

Dame*Shelly*("\(*o*)/") Report 13 May 2014 22:47

thank you an
just wanted to make elizabeth feel i bit special for the day

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 13 May 2014 23:54

I like your avatar too Shelly, you're a very kind girl.

Huia

Huia Report 14 May 2014 02:51

I don't trust too many of those Ancestry trees, since I know how extremely wrong some of them are.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 14 May 2014 12:31

There are far more good trees on Ancestry than bad ones, but sadly we have all encountered the truly appalling ones on there.

I found one last week where they had added every hint to their tree as fact. Some poor sod died at least 3 times!!!! :-D :-D :-D

wisechild

wisechild Report 14 May 2014 15:54

It did cross my mind that this person could be researching soldiers who died in WW1.
Certainly they can´t be a descendant because my chap was killed 2 weeks after the war started, aged 21 & he never married.......never got chance!!!
If it is a research project, it´s not really a family tree is it?

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 14 May 2014 16:01

The person with him in his tree could be related via a marriage. So the relationship could be very tenuous.

Some people when doing their tree will add in all the family etc., of those who marry into their family, hence some trees being quite large.

I think many of us do not do this. I will add a spouse and any children from this marriage, but not take that family any further.

It is a matter of choice.

But this can explain how some of our ancestors end up in trees and we cannot see the connection.

Hope this helps

KittytheLearnerCook

KittytheLearnerCook Report 14 May 2014 16:11

I do look at the family my ancestors married into on the census as sometimes it turns out that 2 siblings married into the same family...........none of them seemed to want to leave Sussex and it wasn't highly populated back then, so it's hardly surprising.

if there are siblings marrying into one of my families I include just their parents and any other siblings, but no further or the tree would be so big it would topple over.

Huia

Huia Report 15 May 2014 00:04

My reason for regarding Ancestry trees with suspicion: My sister, whose father (and mine) was b 1899, is alleged to have m a man b 1723. Sister and our dad are both in a lot of the trees. Many of the owners of the trees don't want to know, some say they are on x number of trees so it must be right. Totally innumerate.