General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What am I doing wrong.

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 18 May 2014 00:19

I would like to look at hotels in or very near to Saddleworth in Yorkshire but when I put that into google it just comes up with hotels that are about 7 miles away and I would like one closer than that if possible. :-)

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 18 May 2014 00:36

are there any hotels in Saddleworth???

It isn't a very big place, if I remember correctly!

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 18 May 2014 00:37

I was born and raised in Oldham, which isn't that far away, and Saddleworth is more of a village.

I would think the most you might find would be a pub with a couple of rooms.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 18 May 2014 00:39

I you want a hotel actually on the Moor, Google 'Hotels on Saddleworth Moor'. (the ON or IN is important)
There are a few hotels, some B&B's and holiday cottages.
If you then click on 'maps' the satellite view gives a good idea of what could be available.
Not very many on the North of the moor,

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 18 May 2014 00:44

The Saddleworth Hotel is in Delph, which is basically the next village along :-)

Barbara

Barbara Report 18 May 2014 00:46

Delph, Diggle, Dobcross, Uppermill are all villages in the area
Where exactly is it you want to be close to?

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 18 May 2014 01:33

Uppermill is where I want to be close to so it would be good if it is a short taxi ride away. I haven't been there before and I will be taking my Aunt and Uncle who haven't been there either.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 18 May 2014 01:41

Barbara may know more ......... but I'm not sure how many taxis there will be either.

Might be one private taxi in every village ................... ie, someone offering taxi service in their own car.

We used to have to walk everywhere, or plan our trips around the bus service ................ but that's 50 years ago!

Barbara

Barbara Report 18 May 2014 01:51

http://www.saddleworthparishcouncil.org.uk/tourist-information/accomodation.shtml

lists a number of places to stay in the area.

The Riverside Guest House and the Waggon Public House are both listed as being on High Street, Uppermill, which is actually the main road through Uppermill and they are very central indeed. However, I have never visited either so cannot say what they are like. Does anyone else know?

I do know that the Waggon is opposite the Museum and the canal, right in the centre opposite the car park. Uppermill is a lovely village with lots of craft shops etc but can get extremely busy at weekends.

Barbara

Barbara Report 18 May 2014 02:00

Not sure about taxis re Uppermill. I am not in Saddleworth but do live in the Oldham area. I do have a friend who lives in the area and would have info re taxis etc but unfortunately they are out of the country on holiday until the week after next. If that is soon enough, I can get some further info for you then.

I also have friends in Delph who may know.

Uppermill has become somewhat of a tourist attraction with its quaint shops, walks, etc and gets really busy weekends and Bank Holidays as there is really just the one main road through.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 18 May 2014 03:36

I can't help!

It's about 20 years since we last went to Uppermill, and we had a rented car at that time.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 18 May 2014 08:55

Thank you to all of you it has been a big help with the info you have all given me, I shall be doing some booking now if I can :-D :-D

Barbara

Barbara Report 19 May 2014 22:38

If you do need me to find out anything for you do let me know

Regards
Barbara

CrystalTips

CrystalTips Report 20 May 2014 09:30

You've probably already booked somewhere to stay by now, but there is also the White Hart at Lydgate which is two miles from the centre of Uppermill
http://www.thewhitehart.co.uk/welcome/

When are you planning on going? The Whit Friday brass band contests, this year on Friday 13th June, are great to watch, but all the villages get really busy!
http://www.whitfriday.brassbands.saddleworth.org/

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 20 May 2014 19:25

ah .................

Whit Friday!

It's a long time since I've taken part in any Whit Friday or Whit Sunday walks :-)

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 21 May 2014 23:42

I have an address on the birth cert as Millgate. Delph Saddleworth. Yorkshire.
On the 1891 census it is Knottshill. Delph. Are these places near Uppermill?
Thank you once again for your help.

CrystalTips

CrystalTips Report 22 May 2014 18:52

Delph and Uppermill are only a couple of miles apart, I'll have a look when I've got a moment if the place still stands, or have a look on an old map. Have you booked somewhere to stay? How will you be travelling? Just concerned that if you are travelling by train to Greenfield your Aunt and Uncle may struggle with the steps up the footbridge at Greenfield station.

Sylvia in Canada - I organise one of the band contests, it's always a shame on Whit Friday or Whit Sunday when everyone who is dressed up in their finest / band uniform has to wear Packamacs when it rains :-( My early memories of Whit Sunday is getting a new outfit (possibly from Hardcastles) and having to visit family and neighbours to show off my new clothes, and was given a shilling or so given to me

CrystalTips

CrystalTips Report 22 May 2014 19:20

P.S. If you'd prefer to be near Delph rather than stay in Uppermill there is the Old Bell Inn near the centre of Delph

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 22 May 2014 22:43

CT ....................

you didn't get your new outfit from Jolly's :-)

Believe it or not ..................... I worked at the Pakamac factory in the summer before my last year at Counthill ............... must have been 1958.

It was up on Ripponden Road at that time, I think. Certainly I could walk to it from Waterhead!

We earned a lot of money ................ but it was boriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing.

There were about 6 of us, and we were put on the packing line.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 22 May 2014 22:52

Jolly's ............

my mother worked there from late 1945 to the day before she died in 1961.

I worked there on Saturdays about 90% of the time between 1952/3 and mid-1959.

so most of my new clothes came from there ............... either the Children's Dept or the Ladies.