General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Fingers crossed for Jack

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 27 May 2014 23:08

Jack was a dog found as a stray 6mth ago on the beach He was re-homed into a loving family.
Today we discovered Jack has an owner that has never reported him missing but now wants him back

Do the new owners hand over or fight for their dog ? I have to fence sit although will go to court for the new owners

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 27 May 2014 23:41

Hi Uzzi,

I was only thinking about Jack recently as remember you told us about him.

I think he should stay with his new caring owners, not be allowed back with the non caring ones, so hope things go his way and he can stay where he is loved.

Bet this is really playing havoc with your emotions.

Lizxx

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 28 May 2014 07:17

Liz it is playing havoc as I can see 2 sides. He belonged to an old man on his own and the son is saying he wants him back. But he wasn´t reported missing, nobody put up any notices for him.
His new owners after 6mths love him to bits and don´t want to lose him.

Verdict from old owners tonight because they were too busy to come over yesterday !

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 28 May 2014 10:32

Perhaps the old man would agree to let him stay with his new owners but for him to visit from time to time to Jack

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 28 May 2014 11:12

I think jack should stay where he is
obviously the old owner didn't care enough to look for him

maybe they new owner could charge board and lodge for the dog
making it to expensive for the old owner to get him back :-(

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 28 May 2014 11:41

lol @Joy I have also suggested that the new owners request boarding fees if they insist Jack is returned.

Shirley we are hoping that the old man will leave Jack where he is when he hears how well looked after and loved he is.

I will add that the son lives 10mins drive away and the Dad is 30mins near where I used to live. but it was too much trouble to come over yesterday !

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 31 May 2014 19:03

Well this hasn´t been sorted, the DIL and grandson came to fetch Jack on Wednesday ...having been requested that they brought proof that they had reported Jack missing to vet´s and police. They had no proof. The new owners refused to hand Jack over after hearing that his normal daily routine was to be let out of the door, left to his own decision where he should walk and return as and when he wanted.
With much confusion as to whether the "old man" he belonged to was actually capable of looking after him and being told he was very strong. I did ask whether he needed to be strong to walk a 5.4 kilo dog or if it was a threat. and was ignored. I was told that the grandson who came along was very attached to Jack. Once again got much confusion when I asked the DIL if her son lived with the "old man" or at home 30mins away and how often the child spent with the dog.

We were getting no where so I suggested that they brought the actual owner of Jack down on Friday.
It didn´t happen they phoned and said they would go to the police instead.
Saved the new owners doing it. !

So we now wait and see if they can actually go to the police this time.

fingers crossed for Jack because he is so loved now and is a happy dog who is 5,4 k when he was only 4.5 when found.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 31 May 2014 23:27

Uzzi, your mentioning Jack's weight gave me an idea.
Since getting him, have the new owners ever taken him to the vet? If so he could maybe give an opinion.

Also, I presume Jack wasn't microchipped.(virtually unheard of in Portugal!!) If he was let out to wander every day, could it be argued that a responsible owner would have had him microchipped.

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 31 May 2014 23:36

the new owner is entitled to charge for his keep
if the old owner couldn't afford to pay this
then the new owner could refuse to hand the dog over till they did

thus never with a bit of luck :-D :-D

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 1 Jun 2014 00:52

Does the alleged previous owner have any concrete evidence of ownership of the stray now rehomed and known as Jack, or could we just be talking about two similar, but not identical dogs ;-)

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 1 Jun 2014 03:44

get the old "owner" to visit Jack.

If Jack is happy to see him that might change some opinions. On the other hand, if Jack ignores him or runs away and hides, it's obvious where he wants to stay.

Poor little dog.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 1 Jun 2014 11:45

Brilliant idea Lady Scozz! Works with cats as well.
My neighbour had a dog and a cat. They moved - took the dog and left the cat, which I didn't know.
After about 6 months, I noticed a cat sleeping on the guinea pig hutch. I don't normally welcome others' cats in my garden, so went down to see it. It didn't run off, so I stroked it, it nibbled me - I knew it was Sophie!
Eventually she moved in.

A year later, her previous owners were in the area, my other neighbour told them I had their cat, so they came round to see her.
I knew Sophie was upstairs, and called her. Being a friendly cat, she usually came downstairs to say hello to anyone who came in. She didn't come. I went upstairs - and she hid! She was definitely in 'panic' mode.

I had to lie to her previous owners, and say she was out!
No way was she coming downstairs.

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 25 Jul 2014 13:43

Uzzi, any news on Jack???

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 2 Aug 2014 18:22

Kucinta Yes there is news on Jack ..he is still a c*cky little soul who has a hop and skip in his walk, loves his owner and best of all still lives 4 doors from me.
After threatening with the police etc the previous owners never came back to the vets to claim him. So Jack is staying where he is. :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 2 Aug 2014 18:23

Oh that is good news. :-D :-D :-D

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 2 Aug 2014 18:59

I'm so pleased Jack gets to stay with someone who obviously really does care for him. Love a happy ending! :-D :-D :-D

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 2 Aug 2014 19:07

We have to get his chip changed because he was chipped athough the dogs home who nearly took him ad said he wasn´t chipped. That´s how we found out he had owners. But our vet is happy that he belongs here and will log the new chip to this address eventually wiping out the old chip.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 2 Aug 2014 21:18

Brilliant news!! :-D :-D :-D

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 3 Aug 2014 04:25

Wonderful news, hope Jack and his new family have lots of fun together.

Lizx

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 3 Aug 2014 06:57

I am so pleased jack is staying where he is x :-D :-D