General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Royal British Legion - Poppy Helpline UPDATE

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 18 Jun 2014 10:51

The Royal British Legion offer a wonderful service if your spouse was ever in the armed services - mine was, and as I am feeling a little vulnerable at the moment - thinking I was too intelligent to be conned - I feel I need a safety chain on my front door, having just watched the Crimewatch Programme on BBC

The Poppy Helpline - 08457 725725 - are most helpful - I've had their number for a while but today I rang them to ask if it would be possible to fit a safety chain to my front door - bingo - someone will contact me in three to five working days to set a time to visit and fix the chain - they will also check my property to see if there is anything else that can be done to make me feel safer

Mersey

Mersey Report 18 Jun 2014 10:54

Good for you Ann!!, and you yourself chose to do this at a time when you are feeling a little vulnerable and out of sorts shows you are stronger than what you think......

I have an elderly neighbour whom I am going to give this number to, certainly him worth giving them a call ........

Ann <3 <3

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 18 Jun 2014 12:19

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

PollyinBrum

PollyinBrum Report 18 Jun 2014 13:10

Good for you Ann, and very sensible too. RBL are a fantastic organisation and have my utmost respect and admiration <3

Mersey

Mersey Report 18 Jun 2014 15:57

Ann gave the number to Joe and he has just knocked to say thank you !! so I said I would pass the thanks onto you......he said they have given him all kinds of useful information and he really is grateful......... :-D <3

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 18 Jun 2014 16:00

lovely - I hope lots of people are made aware of this :-D

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 18 Jun 2014 17:06

nudging to keep it on front page for a while

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 18 Jun 2014 21:11

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

PollyinBrum

PollyinBrum Report 18 Jun 2014 21:22

Nudge

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 19 Jun 2014 09:34

Mersey

Mersey Report 19 Jun 2014 18:06

:-) :-) <3

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 20 Jun 2014 05:43

Glad you feel you have some extra support Ann at a time when you must be feeling low, I am pleased you thought of contacting them and have now helped someone else as well.

My parents contacted SSAFA I think it was, when they needed help when my Dad was diagnosed with cancer and they helped with advice and support.

Lizx

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 20 Jun 2014 11:58

apparently they can do lots of things - even in the garden

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 20 Jun 2014 14:03

All ex service men and women and their dependants are entitled to help from the British Legion and the Naval/Army/RAF charities. Most areas have an association nearby with a welfare section.

The Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen Families Association - SSAFA https://www.ssafa.org.uk/

I helped a friend of mine when her inlaws were in dire straits due to severe ill health. She didn't know where to turn, I just asked if he'd served as he was the right age for WW2. He'd been in the Navy she was a WREN. British Legion got there fast. Found out he'd been on 3 ships that had been torpedoed and sunk, he was therefore entitled to a war pension and should have received it years before. The confirmation of this came through 2 weeks after he'd died. The money is only paid to a living person so the pension was never paid. The mother in law did get help during her last 2 years of life but things could have been so different for them.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 20 Jun 2014 21:29

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 22 Jun 2014 09:56

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

Mersey

Mersey Report 23 Jun 2014 09:25

:-D <3

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 23 Jun 2014 09:28

Very sorry to hear that PatinCyprus

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 26 Jun 2014 19:56

had a call this afternoon - someone coming tomorrow to fit my door chain and to see if there is anything else I need :-D

Mersey

Mersey Report 26 Jun 2014 20:00

Great news Ann.....when I see my neighbour I will ask him if he has heard anything <3