General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

The Highway Code

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 28 Jun 2014 20:11

Can someone enlighten me?

Has the highway code for Bicycles changed (I know it was only around 2 pages but!)

Was out today in the country and all the cylists were going along 2 and 3 abreast, I am certain that it says in the Highway Code that you should cycle on all roads in single file and only side by side if it is safe to do so.

The A25 is a major route through Kent and Surrey. Got so bad at one point OH wound down the window and shouted 'Single File' at them. He is NOT a driver but he gets so wound up. Would hate to think what he would do if he did drive!!!

Von

Von Report 28 Jun 2014 20:25

Have found this link

https://www.gov.uk/rules-for-cyclists-59-to-82/overview-59-to-71

From rule 66
never ride more than two abreast, and ride in single file on narrow or busy roads and when riding round bends

Graham

Graham Report 28 Jun 2014 20:28

I think you're only allowed to cycle two abreast on the pavement. ;-)

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 28 Jun 2014 21:32

Cyclists seem totally unaware of any Highway code in the New Forest on 'Wiggle' events. They ride right across the road, don't stop at junctions, seem to think that if traffic is stopped due to ponies/foals/donkeys/cows in the road, it doesn't apply to them.
It's a 40mph limit all through the New Forest. The organisers reckon it's not a race, but time trials :-S?????

Oh - and I thought cyclists had to have a bell, or similar on the public highway.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 28 Jun 2014 22:09

Last weekend at a busy cross roads which has traffic lights with three sequence changes we stopped behind two cars at a red light. Two cyclists came up the outside and through the lights weaving through traffic crossing in front of us to turn right. And these were cyclists in their 30s(ish).

And in the Lake District on the narrow winding roads I will never know how there are not more accidents involving cyclists, they were all two and sometimes three abreast.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 28 Jun 2014 23:37

.....and woe betide any pedestrians crossing at the time Ann. :-|

Graham

Graham Report 29 Jun 2014 09:16

I did once actually see a policeman stopping a cyclist for going through a red light.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 29 Jun 2014 09:36

.....and t was so unusual, Graham, that you noticed it!!! :-D

The ones in all the lycra gear who ride on the pavement don't seem to realise how silly they look.
I actually stood in front of one so he had to stop and said:
'The bike wasn't cheap, the lycra gear wasn't cheap, the stupid shoes weren't cheap, so why haven't you taken cycling lessons so you can ride on the road?
(to be fair, he rode on the pavement for the last 100 yards of his journey - but he should have walked)

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 29 Jun 2014 09:41

Driving back from the vets last sunday along the busy A2 from Gillingham was on part of it that is duel carriage way and a cyclist all dressed up in his Lycra and wearing a cyclist helmet was weaving in and out both carriageway traffic and completely ignoring every red light .

lots of the time I caught up with him before the next lights and he was very awkward to get around as I give cyclists a wide berth .

Other motorists were having the same problem too

I was getting a bit annoyed at his antics and turned off as soon as I could to avoid him and to let me relax

He was a guy possibly in his late 20,s so no novice teenager.

I did comment to myself no wonder some cyclists get themselves injured

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 29 Jun 2014 10:36

My old man was stopped by a copper for riding across Tooting Bec common and no lights just before the war.

His bike had an acetylene lamp which dad explained must have just gone out the copper told him not to take the P*** and took hold of the lamp which was still roasting hot, after the bobby had finished screaming he admitted the lamp had been on, but he still did dad for riding on the common.

He got a fine of 5/- which was a staggering amount in those days, perhaps a weeks wages each time a rider jumps the lights might bring about a sea change it their behaviour! ;-)

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 29 Jun 2014 12:00

Thank you all for your comments

So glad I am not the only one.

I am not against cyclists, my father was one and other members of his family owned a Bike Shop.

But I just hate the Lycra Clad Fascists, who seem to think they own the roads these days. ;-)

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 29 Jun 2014 13:06

What is even more annoying is that we have a purpose built cycle path which obviously cost money, it is separate to the road. To be fair to most of the kids riding to and from school, they usually use the path but all the 'real' cyclists in their lycra, helmets and narrow wheeled bikes ride on the road beside the path which causes cars to have to swerve round them. Stupis and apparently, because somebody asked, if theya re in an accident no account would be taken of the fact they are not using the path because it is not compulsory. :-(

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 29 Jun 2014 14:28

I saw a case on one of the cops reality TV programs a few weeks back.

A chap was stopped riding his bike in the dark without lights. It turned out that he had had a few drinks which in itself wasn't a problem but he started mouthing off, refusing to co-operate so the cops arrested him for a breach of the peace and took him in.

He was put before the beak charged with a list of offences including those of riding without lights, ignoring a red traffic light and defective brakes. He was fined a total of £750, the beak saying he was sick and tired of cyclists flouting the law.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 29 Jun 2014 14:55

Try the old A1 between Stilton, and Alconbury round 7 pm......5 or 6 Gaggles of 20 plus Cyclists on training, I should think.

Bob

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 29 Jun 2014 16:15

I know I have said it before, but if bikes were a new invention they would never get approval for road use on safety issues alone.
They would be treated like the Segway and banned from road and pavement.

Graham

Graham Report 29 Jun 2014 17:17

They've already been banned from the pavement. Not that anybody takes any notice. :-|

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 1 Jul 2014 12:22

The schools here are out for summer .
Today I was driving in a 20 zone where there were loads of children at play.
I kept to the speed limit all the while, looking out for little people who may run out suddenly.

I was overtaken...... by a LAWNMOWER!

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 2 Jul 2014 07:31

Maybe it was on its way to Mow' de grass?

(Mardi Gras)?

or mow a meadow!

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 2 Jul 2014 07:41

There are some cyclists who "ride aggressively" because they are encouraged by certain websites to take control. If the road is narrow they ride in such a way to prevent cars overtaking because it's "too dangerous" for cyclists if they do.

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 2 Jul 2014 09:52

:-D :-D :-D @ Bobtanian

It was a council owned grass cutter, being driven by a young, would be.. petrol head.