General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Would you give your child a name on this list?

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 4 Jul 2014 00:02

From the USA...

In 2013, there were 241 Khaleesis, from the television show Game of Thrones, and 63 Vanellopes, from the children’s cartoon Wreck-it Ralph.

But these were not the weirdest by far. Parents got creative with name spellings. Zachary was a popular name, but Zaccari, Zacharey, Zackarie, Zacorey and Zacorie all made appearances.

There were 14 girls named Andrew and 18 boys named Isabella.

Parents were also hedging their bets by combining two names, rather than choosing just one. There were 22 Johndavids, 10 Ethanjameses and five Charlotteroses. They were deliberately spelt as one name, rather than two names with a hyphen.

Other names guaranteed to haunt their children forever are:

Girls

Nyx (20)
Treazure (17)
Abcde (16)
Jurney (16)
Blimi (12)
Pistol (9)
Rarity (7)
Kinzington (6)
Prezlee (6)
Cymphony (5)
Ransom (5)

Boys

Cross (44)
Bless (22)
Coal (11)
Moo (11)
Jceion (10)
Hatch (8)
Tuf (8)
Psalms (7)
Xzaiden (7)
Kyndle (6)
Lexus (6)
Power (6)
Boulder (5)
Subaru (5)
Trillion (5)

Persephone

Persephone Report 4 Jul 2014 02:55

I can understand the abcde (just hope the 16 of them are not in the same class and know their alphabet)

the next one could be fghij

then klmnop

followed by qrstu

and of course vwxyz. if you going to have any more after that.. perhaps 12345.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 4 Jul 2014 02:59

There was a story last week, the name "Awsome" was not allowed.

Why not? The child would fit right in with little Treazure & Power

:-D

They can change their name when they turn 18 if they don't like the one they were given.

Persephone

Persephone Report 4 Jul 2014 05:51

We have some weird ones here.. one called something like Number 10 Bus Stop.

In our paper today:

A Swedish man is believed to have the world's longest name:
Kim-Jong Sexy Glorious Beast Divine Dick Father Lovely Iron Man Even Unique Poh Un Winn Charlie Ghora Khaos Mehan Hansa Kimmy Humbero Uno Master Over Dance Shake Bouti Bepop Rocksteady Shredder Kung Ulf Road House Gilgamesh Flap Guy Theo Arse Hole Im Yoda Funky Boy Slam Duck Chuck Jorma Jukka Pekka Ryan Super Air Ooy Rusell Salvador Alfons Molgan Akta Papa Long Nameh Ek. At 63 words long, Mr Ek's is at least the longest in Sweden. Ek has changed his name six times, making it longer on each occasion. "My parents were a little confused the first time a letter came addressed to Usama-Bin Ek instead of Alexander," he told news site Nyheter24. (Source: Boing Boing)

Susan-nz

Susan-nz Report 4 Jul 2014 08:05

I am to become a first time grandmother in a few weeks, I shall cross anything 'cross a ble' that my daughter and SIL are 'sensible' in naming their child...

Either that or I have my own name for the child when it visits me ;-).

Some parents should be shot IMO..

:-)

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 4 Jul 2014 08:17

sitting in our clinic waiting room ,on the "next patient electronic sign, two names came up........

one Marvellous,

and Tyreece

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 4 Jul 2014 08:42

How about: La-a ?
Pronounced: Ladasha
My friend is a community children's nurse and a child on her list has this name!

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 4 Jul 2014 09:01

Those poor children!! Can you just imagine the scenes.................

"I am extremely angry with you, Cross".

"You're due your Tetanus shot, Pistol"

"I'm afraid that's just too bad, Tuf."

"It's like trying to squeeze blood out of a stone with you, Boulder".

"If you enjoyed Job Psalms, the next book in the series is Proverbs".

"The College I would recommend for you, is King's, Ransom".

etc.....

We had a baptism earlier this year, and the child's middle name was 'Nevaeh'.
Heaven spelled backwards.........and quite common apparently...... :-S

I pity these children growing old and grey and bearing these names......dear oh dear!

Persephone

Persephone Report 4 Jul 2014 10:03

I suppose it is spelt la-a.. to make it easy for the child to spell.

We watch a program about Aussie Truckers and one of the woman drivers always takes plenty of lala paper..... and lets us know when she needs to make a lala stop..
Have visions of this poor child being called lala.

When I worked at the local school one of the children had the middle name Grzzly.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 4 Jul 2014 10:58

not just present day names that are like this - take a look on Genealogy Board - "Daft names" - there are some horrendous ones on there

Jolly Roger
Charity Box

to name just two

Pammy51

Pammy51 Report 4 Jul 2014 12:07

A friend worked on a charity project in USA and came across 2 children whose names were pronounced Eenarmell and Peejarmay, but spelt Enamel and Pyjama - Mum had seen the words in a dictionary and thought they looked nice.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 4 Jul 2014 12:27

in our local newspaper, Birth - a son called Deckland - presumably how they thought you spell Declan :-S

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 4 Jul 2014 12:33

Mickey Mouse
birth: 1 January 1825
Aneheim,,California
death:
more

spouse:
Minnnie White
birth: 1 January 1820
marriage: 1 January 1845

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 4 Jul 2014 13:23

:-(

I shouldn't have laughed at some of the names in my tree....

like........ ggg aunt Archibaldina

She could have got a lot worse!

:-D

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 4 Jul 2014 14:52

Trailer Trash names - the US equivelant of Chav names here! :-D

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 4 Jul 2014 15:18

Apart from the misspelled names, we do have to remember that the US in particular has a multicultural heritage as least as far back as their discovery.

Migrants from different ethnic backgrounds would hear their neighbours names, and incorporate them with their own hereditary ones.

They also have a segment of their population who adopt or cling on to the 'Slave' names - we've come across a Missy (white lady from Pennsylvania) and a Blessed (Afro American male). Admittedly the names linked to Christianity could be because their parents were religious.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 4 Jul 2014 20:36

DetEctTive

The names on the list at the beginning of this thread, are in the main completely made up or are considered 'trendy'.

Those you mention in your last paragraph are to me quite normal. But having worked on the Post Office counters for some years, I have come across my fair share of odd names.

One thing we did notice was that a lot of W. Indian people had names associated with 'white' such as White, Blanc and others. Wondered if it was the slave owners being ironic! And we also noticed the trend for playing around with ordinary names, such as Molene instead of Maureen, pronounced the same!!!

Anotheranninglos

Anotheranninglos Report 4 Jul 2014 20:48

Grandchild 3 is due September my son wants names like peter, David, James but his g/f isn't keen and wants more modern names. Loagon I think is the latest choice. We will wait and see...............................me I call it Billy at the moment.

Anne

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 4 Jul 2014 22:04

my daughter in law's neice is expecting a baby which she is going to call Shalah!!! Her other two are called Thear and Namiah :-S

Tawny

Tawny Report 4 Jul 2014 22:19

Used to work in a children's play area and some of the names there were interesting. We had two girls Shaunee and Shaunisay (wonder what their dads were called) we also two sets of siblings Canielle and Cemre pronounced Janielle and Jemrey and Lumai and Jolon pronounced Loomy and Joelon. We also had Angel, Trinity, Emma-Leigh, Reignbow, Cloud, Rikki-Leigh (a girl) and two boys called Lindsay and Christie