General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

A great day

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 11 Jul 2014 08:48

As far as I'm concerned, you would have to go a long way to beat Chester and I spent a most pleasant day there yesterday.
Great company, baking hot, fascinating history, pleasant locals, stunning architecture, beautiful green scenery - what more could you ask for?
You can see why so many companies, organisations and individuals are leaving London for the North West in their droves to escape the rip off prices, gridlocked roads, housing shortage and so on.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 11 Jul 2014 09:17

My great uncle's wife came from Chester, she ended up living in Birkenhead with him and having 4 daughters or more, I never knew him but he worked on Liverpool Cathedral as a stone mason which was the reason he was in the area.

I want to go and see Chester as it's always appealed to me

Lizx

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 11 Jul 2014 09:37

I go there quite a lot (couple of times a week) - it's a great spot.

BrendafromWales

BrendafromWales Report 11 Jul 2014 12:08

I also love Chester...
Lovely to walk round the walls,and the architecture is so nice.
Not too far for me! :-)

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 11 Jul 2014 13:28

Brenda - it really is wonderful, isn't it?

I don't think I know anywhere quite like it.

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 11 Jul 2014 13:37

Born etc on The Wirral, I would agree. However there is another which tugs me - York.

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 11 Jul 2014 14:10

I do like York but I must admit that I prefer Chester.

Parts of the Wirral are great - not Liverpool where there is far too much crime and a worrying percentage of it is violent crime.
I often go to Parkgate and West Kirby and then coming back the other way I love Helsby and Frodsham - some fantastic pubs around there.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 11 Jul 2014 14:52

didn't you live in Liverpool by choice for a while?

I love York - son lived there for a few years - lovely city
love Bath also

SueCar

SueCar Report 11 Jul 2014 14:59

Some of the small towns in Dorset are lovely. Wimborne Minster, Swanage. Weymouth spring to mind.

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 11 Jul 2014 15:48

annCardiff - where I live or have lived isn't really anybody's business on here and is probably inconsequential anyway - isn't it against T&Cs to post people's personal details?

SueCar - I have only been to Dorset a couple of times although I am heading down to the West Country in a couple of weeks or so which isn't so far away. I remember lovely villages and thatched cottages from when I was there.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 11 Jul 2014 16:13

well - fancy someone reporting me for such an innocent comment - quite sure I recall you mentioning on a thread on here that you once lived there :-S must have been mistaken but surely not worth reporting

and I see one of your postings has been reported too :-S certainly not by me - how strange

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 11 Jul 2014 16:18

How odd indeed - it was a posting about not liking Liverpool because of the crime (which is well documented on legitimate and respected websites).
annCardiff this is a thread about lovely places and I am sure you will respect that and appreciate the fact that people's perspective of great places to visit is somewhat subjective.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 11 Jul 2014 16:22

I know it's a thread about lovely places - of course I do - I spernt a weekend in Chester and Liverpool and found them both delightful places - totally different though - Chester ancient and a bit like York = Liverpool more modern and lively

so as you say, a thread about lovely places, so why come up with negatives about a particular city?

My top spot in Wales is Abergavenny - lovely market town with indivdual shops and a thriving market

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 11 Jul 2014 16:24

Because it was RELEVANT to the previous post sheesh lol

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 11 Jul 2014 16:28

:-S :-S :-S :-S :-S :-S

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 11 Jul 2014 16:31

Cross posted - sorry

I personally would not go to Liverpool based on experience and the overriding evidence (on a number of official websites) about the levels of violent crime.

Now, back to wonderful places.

Chester has to top the list but I also rather like Norwich.

Sirius

Sirius Report 11 Jul 2014 16:52

I like Liverpool and Chester, but of course visiting a place is never the same as living there is it? I have spent some great days out in different places around the country that I wouldn't particularly want to live in.

I've just been watching "Escape down under" and thinking similarly, that spending a week by the seaside on holiday is not a good basis for believing that living there permanently would be one long round of sea , surf, and sunset walks ( unless one is rich enough not to need to work I guess).

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 12 Jul 2014 04:52

OH was born and grew up in Chester.

We were married in a lovely old church, dating back to Norman times, in a village just outside Chester.

I first visited Chester around 1960 ..................... when our first year class at Liverpool was taken to the Zoo to see the "wild" animals.

I also spent 5 years living in Liverpool ................... and don't particularly like it, even though I was there in the early days of the Beatles, etc.

Just as I grew up near Manchester, and don't like Manchester ............... never did like Manchester even when I was a child!

Take me to Chester, or some of the lovely little towns in Devon and Cornwall, the Cotswolds, Derbyshire or Yorkshire, or east coast places like Scarborough and Whitby.

Have you ever been to Lavenham in Suffolk? A magnificent medieval town

I loved the very eerie drive along Hadrian's Wall that we took in 1995 .................. misty and drizzly, could almost believe that we could hear the centurions marching when we stopped at some of the forts.

as a side bar ................. I do wish some members would leave other members alone.

If you don't like what is posted, just ignore it.

Don't open threads started by people you don't like.

It looks awfully like harassment ............... and that is illegal!

Dermot

Dermot Report 12 Jul 2014 07:19

Devon does it for me!

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 12 Jul 2014 09:46

North Yorkshire Moors for me :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D