General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I live on a council estate

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

**Stella ~by~ Starlight**★..★..★

**Stella ~by~ Starlight**★..★..★ Report 14 Jul 2014 11:08

it is quite rough and run down.

I can't understand why all my neighbours appear to be deaf, they never actually say anything to each other without shouting.. even the children must be deaf as well. It's a nuisance really because they play their music at top volume as well..

The people who lived here 20 years ago were not deaf , it must be a new thing that all the people and childen hard of hearing are being moved on to this estate...it's a shame that the council haven't provided ear plugs for those long standing residents who are having to close windows and doors because of this problem..it even causes sleep deprivation.

:-0

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 14 Jul 2014 11:16

I know what you mean, I think I need a new telly,

it wont go as loud as it used to........
flat out and I can hardly hear it!! ;-)

MaryinSpain

MaryinSpain Report 14 Jul 2014 11:30

Most of the Spanish are the same. Living in a narrow street doesnt help either. In the summer they leave the engines on the cars running with air con on and radio blaring out. I only said to hubby at the weekend I must be getting old as I do nothing but moan about the noise.

Mary xx

Maryanna

Maryanna Report 14 Jul 2014 11:31

Stella, I think it is a problem wherever you live.

None of our neighbours seem to be able to communicate with each other without shouting. I have also noticed it in the woods, on the beach and in town.

One of our neighbours even seems to need to go to the bottom of his garden, which is at the side of ours, by our living room, to shout at other deaf people on his mobile phone.

He also likes shouting at his, seemingly, deaf children, who have to shout back,or his equally hard of hearing wife and friends, especially late at night, when they have to shout over their loud music.

M. :-(

**Stella ~by~ Starlight**★..★..★ Report 14 Jul 2014 11:41

Thank goodness there are other people having to live with this...

and yes those who shout at their moblie phones are another example... i did buy some plastic ear plugs off the internet but they don't work..lol :-(

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 14 Jul 2014 11:55

Being hard of hearing I wear hearing aids. They do tend to magnify ordinary speech a little. Luckily our neighbours all seem to have good hearing, we rarely hear much noise, even from the younger ones. However, travelling on the bus I can get a headache with a couple of women shouting to each other (in the same seat) and somebody else shouting on their phone, because obviously the person on the other end can't hear them because of the two women shouting. And heaven help us if a family get on when they all have to compete to be heard above the others. We live in a world of noise.

I could switch my hearing aids off but I might miss something.!!!!

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 14 Jul 2014 11:57

I'm truly sorry for anyone who has to live with all this going on everyday. It would drive me crazy.

Sometimes, not often, I think that's it's too quiet where I live.

If you were to suddenly move to somewhere really quiet with a lot less neighbours do you think you would miss the noise having become so used to it.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 14 Jul 2014 12:22

I find the estate where I live, things go in phases.
It was relatively quiet, until I got new neighbours next to me, and across the road.
Him next door is a DIY enthusiast, with a son who finds it impossible to C L O S E doors. The son is also paranoid about his huge white van - that he parks right outside my house, blocking light. His dad parks his car outside his house.
Over the road, they also have 'issues' about 'their' parking 'space' and buses - at the top of their voices.

The other day, friend and I got back from him giving me a lift for a big shop. When he picked me up, there was space outside my house. Whilst out shopping, neighbours had friends around, (to help with DIY) we had to park at the bottom of the road and lug the shopping (which included 24 cans of cat food) up the hill.
I decided to play the 'disgruntled noisy neighbour' card and, as I was passing next door, moaned about the fact that I only occasionally do a big shop, and am forced to lug it for miles etc etc.
We went back out, and when we returned - there was a space outside my house, and the car that had been parked there was at the bottom of the street :-D

Tenerife, I've lived on the Shetlands. Sometimes, it was so quiet my ears hurt! But I'd love to live in a quiet place again.

**Stella ~by~ Starlight**★..★..★ Report 14 Jul 2014 12:51

there is a problem here with cars too, there is a massive lyme tree twice as tall as my house outside and even though i have a motorbility car i cannot park underneath it because of sap in the summer and falling branches in the winter..so i park outside next doors who don't have a car.. but in general neighbours do tend to leave me a space which i am grateful for as i cannot carry shopping bags either..

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 14 Jul 2014 13:27

I have a garage on a shared forecourt, and which happens to be the nearest to the access passageway,
now I don't mind people dropping off, collecting, delivering stuff by parking there,

but visitors/neighbours, that park and leave the car really annoy me,

A.
I may not know the car,
B
I don't know where they are visiting,

but how much consideration, brains and effort does it take to put a note in the windscreen
saying.....
I am at....??? No.
I've even had panda cars left there, and when I've complained, I'm told "He was on duty"!!
Bob

littlelegs

littlelegs Report 14 Jul 2014 14:27

know the feeling stella

so noisy here never used to be

i get so mad sometimes

Susan10146857

Susan10146857 Report 14 Jul 2014 15:14

EDIT....too many commas I know....but it would take me forever to delete them on an iPad :-D

swings and roundabouts Stella?

At least you have the option to complain to the council.....Where I live there are more and more private houses being let out.....near to me is a continuous noise of loud music...at one time the new occupants got onto my roof whilst in the middle of one of their rave ups......Now, if house owners complain to the council, the complaints are logged and when one tries to sell ones house, the potential buyer does a search, sees the problem with neighbours and buys elsewhere......perhaps we are getting some of those who have been evicted from elsewhere, but since the boom in house letting, from the point of a house owner, life is not as peaceful as it was :-(.......... Talking to the landlord is a waste of time because they need the income.

**Stella ~by~ Starlight**★..★..★ Report 14 Jul 2014 15:27

Yes and i have complained but they only seem to do anything if it is loud music not people with loud voices,

and of course some houses are privately owned and some are lived in by immigrants who just smile and say "sorry" and then carry on shouting at each other in their own language.

It seems to be mainly the younger generation who are the culprits.. they don't walk up to each other to say something they just bellow down the street.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 14 Jul 2014 16:11

Oh where I live its so peaceful and only the hum of a lawnmower or trimmer and traffic seems in the distance.....and the most noise I hear is from a childminders charges when they are laughing and having fun.......at a weekend our neighbour a young man of 22/23 lives alone has his mates round for a bit of a after night drink or they have a bbq with loud music,we have told him its no bother to us even when they are fluffing it,they are young,sensible and having fun..........but we have no one in the general area that causes any problems to others eith noise,,, we often have drivers park over our driveway often,but its no big deal if we dont need to get out.

In 2 mins I am in open countryside.the park and river,,,, am on the edge of a town.

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 14 Jul 2014 16:36

No noise here where Ilive.it's so quiet even the don't speak to each other.... :-D

~Lynda~

~Lynda~ Report 14 Jul 2014 16:40

Being an old bag, I tell people who make to much noise, last year I told a near neighbour, that his dogs barked constantly and it was disturbing a lot of people, he has 3 dogs. He tried giving me a bit of old flannel, by saying that when he came in at night the dogs were excited and they just let of steam for a bit, I said they might like letting of steam, but the rest of the neighbourhood didn't want to hear it, when he kept coming back with excuses, I said it was up to him, but if the dogs didn't stop, that a neighbour was going to complain to the local council, which they were, he said he would see what he could do, barking stopped to an acceptable level :-D

Stella, do you want me to come and "have a word" with your neighbours :-D

**Stella ~by~ Starlight**★..★..★ Report 14 Jul 2014 17:05

my next door but one neighbour( 2 bed small house) has 3 dogs several cats and 4 hens ..this is not allowed , i made a complaint about the cats leaving dead birds sprawled over my lawn and the number of dogs.. he was given permission to keep 3 dogs and they said they couldn't do anything about cats.. who have since had kittens and i see now that one dog is pregnant too.. he is 25, obese lives with his daughter, girlfiend and sister also all obese and none of them go to work..they have a sette in the front garden where they and their friends sit smoking, drinking and talking loudly

Lynda , please could you bring reinforcements with you?

:-D

Karen in the desert

Karen in the desert Report 14 Jul 2014 17:09

Lack of respect for others , I call it.

I too have noticed how loud some people are...on their phones, in their gardens, in their homes with windows wide open, in their cars with music up and windows open, and what's all this with shouting to each other across a shop or supermarket? Crikey, I would sooner walk over and speak to whomever without allowing the whole shop to hear my conversation, but many people don't seem to care...it's as though they want everyone to know their business. As if I'm interested!! But it's the 'look/listen to me I'm so important' generation, on the whole, and I blame Jeremy Kyle for promoting it !!!

Now it could be that I love peace and quiet, which makes me quick to notice noise. Or it could be that I am officially a grumpy old woman :-D
Or both :-|

P.S. I don't think Miss Elizabrth Bennett would think the young ladies of today very demure, all shouting and yelling their private business :-S

**Stella ~by~ Starlight**★..★..★ Report 14 Jul 2014 17:16

I think my neighbous think i am a "grumpy old woman" but i agree with Karen... they are disrespectful.. :-|

~Lynda~

~Lynda~ Report 14 Jul 2014 17:18

I don't really need reinforcements Stella, but no worries "the boys" will be nearby :-D

Joking aside, other peoples noise is getting ridiculous, on the train you have those who listen to music with earphones, only they needn't bother with the earphones, we can all hear it, and those who use mobiles, we know who they are calling, and ranges from what's for dinner, to George is a right nasty piece of work for dumping Tina, what a load of old cobblers we have to put up with eh :-|