General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Boards so slow

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

PollyPoppet

PollyPoppet Report 28 Jul 2014 20:06

Is it normally like this nobody asking for help I remember when it used to be so busy :-D

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 28 Jul 2014 20:09

May I send you a PM please PP. I have come up against a brick wall.

Graham

Graham Report 28 Jul 2014 20:10

It's been getting slower over the past few months.

PollyPoppet

PollyPoppet Report 28 Jul 2014 20:10

Most certainly I will be glad to help if I can :-)

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 28 Jul 2014 20:10

It has been like that for quite some time Polly.

It is even more quiet at the moment and I suppose that is due to the holiday season.

Oh, and the rubbish GR tree of course.

:-)

PollyPoppet

PollyPoppet Report 28 Jul 2014 20:11

its at a standstill Graham lol

PollyPoppet

PollyPoppet Report 28 Jul 2014 20:12

oh dear I remember when the boards used to be buzzing with folks trying to help so sad

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 28 Jul 2014 20:21

Thank you PP have sent you a message.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 29 Jul 2014 00:21

PP ........

.............. it's been like this for at least 2 years

many people have left in despair

There really isn't enough help wanted to satisfy even one helper most days :-(

and the nights are even more boring than the daytime

jax

jax Report 29 Jul 2014 01:32

Never really had a tree on here.... Only really use this site to try and help, getting really boring now, not even sure why I renewed to be honest

PollyPoppet

PollyPoppet Report 29 Jul 2014 01:39

such a shame I just got back and find it so sad to see it like this used to be buzzing with something always going on :-(

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 29 Jul 2014 04:38

PP ................

too many changes were made that didn't work, and they were too slow putting them right.

Plus ................... i may well have served its purpose ........................... information is available on all kinds of sites these days, especially ancestry and FMP

I've always thought that the true heart of GR was the help given by the helpers on the Boards ............... and the tree making facility.

Island

Island Report 29 Jul 2014 09:29

I think for many it was a novelty that has worn off.

Crazes come and go and 'doing the family tree' is no different but there will always be serious researchers just as there always has been.

Mauatthecoast

Mauatthecoast Report 29 Jul 2014 09:53

Let's remember FB and other popular sites weren't around in the early days of Gc/Gr. There's lots of free genealogy sites too.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 29 Jul 2014 14:06

I do not think that the novelty wears off that easily.

But it is now just so easy to find out information for yourself. And often you only get requests on here when people believe they have explored every avenue.

With TV shows, books and magazines and other Forums, such a Rootschat, people often do not need the help they did in the past.

If you are serious about helping, why no join Rootschat (its FREE) and is just a genealogy forum site. It has far more subject threads than here on Genes and is more active than the boards here, with people looking for help. ;-)

jax

jax Report 29 Jul 2014 14:46

Been on rootschat wasn't keen

Prefer Facebook if anything... At least you can add pics unlike here where it has to be sent by pm or put in this keepsafe thing

Graham

Graham Report 29 Jul 2014 18:24

I've been helping people with their research on local family history society websites. I get more out of it myself when I am able to tell poeople about someone I knew; rather than just looking up a bmd record.

Graham

Graham Report 30 Jul 2014 09:22

On the geneaology chat board there are posts on page 1 from three days ago. That's how slow it's got.

Mersey

Mersey Report 30 Jul 2014 09:29

Not sure where I got this from....but I think to find Genes Reunited where it is on the list is a shame :-S

http://www.genealogyintime.com/articles/top%20100%20genealogy%20websites%202013%20page5.html

Island

Island Report 30 Jul 2014 10:25

That doesn't surprise me at all Mersey.

As I already posted, I think the novely wore off for many. GC was born out of Friends Reunited so probably attracted a large audience from there who maybe wouldn't have thought to research their family tree. It was very much the 'in thing' to do at the time.

I also think a lot of people may have given up on GR because of their poor treatment of members. Then there's the tree.......... :-(