General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What rubbish!!

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

BrendafromWales

BrendafromWales Report 29 Jul 2014 15:42

There has been criticism by Malaysian government about the use of Scottie dogs with tartan coats on to lead out the competitors in Commonwealth Games!....

It is Ramadan and Muslims are not allowed to touch dogs....who asked them to touch....this is getting ridiculous.

Do we go along with other countries and their traditions when we visit.?

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 29 Jul 2014 15:46

so exactly who's country is this? :-S :-S :-S

It's the United Kingdom!!!!!

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 29 Jul 2014 15:55

T & C's forbid me from stating my view about this - suffice to say b***** ridiculous :-|

Dermot

Dermot Report 29 Jul 2014 16:12

Things might change after the forthcoming 'Yes' referendum.

I suspect the Malaysian Government is thankful for the UK's input following the two plane disasters.

Rambling

Rambling Report 29 Jul 2014 16:32

http://islam.about.com/od/islamsays/a/Dogs-In-Islam.htm

Quite interesting, I note it's "some" Muslims...the two quoted in the Mail are opposition and right wing politicians....and NOT actually representing the countries taking part, who have not complained. ( apparently)

Linda

Linda Report 29 Jul 2014 16:35

I am not going to say anything because I would be banned from GR. enough said I think except I know lots of Muslims who do not keep Ramadam

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 29 Jul 2014 16:42

All I am saying is""""Who asked them to touch the Scotties""NO-ONE.... :-P

Rambling

Rambling Report 29 Jul 2014 16:43

The dog had to be carried because it wouldn't walk...

"While the Malaysian Islamic group is annoyed at the use of the dogs and the team carrying it, the person who agreed to carrying it obviously was not that offended. The team representative would have had a choice and had the answer been no the organizers would have found an alternative."

Exactly!

Read more at http://guardianlv.com/2014/07/2014-commonwealth-games-disrespectful-for-using-scottie-dogs/#CTvYdVC1seYYWwur.99

Samantha

Samantha Report 29 Jul 2014 17:35

I have become extremely tired of hearing about Muslim views on how they are offended by people or things that disrespect their religion.

I am offended every time I read about the atrocities that followers of the Muslim so called religion treats other religions and races, and even their own believers.

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 29 Jul 2014 18:02

Just to be clear it wasn't the Malaysian government who criticised the use of dogs it was an opposition party. The actual government has said nothing about it. Bit of a difference there, I think.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1479927/malaysian-leaders-criticize-scottish-terrier-dogs-at-commonwealth-games/

BrendafromWales

BrendafromWales Report 29 Jul 2014 21:22

Depends what report you read......it was the deputy opposition leader who voiced it in the global news...but another report states that the government and religious leaders are condemning the use of the scotties.
Whatever,...it was a fitting idea to use these lovely little dogs to represent Scotland.

Nolls from Harrogate

Nolls from Harrogate Report 29 Jul 2014 21:37

What a load of Blah Blah Blah and Blah :-|

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 29 Jul 2014 21:47

Can't find any report that says the government itself has objected, only opposition politicians and religious leaders.

Did find this several times

"A Glasgow 2014 spokesman said: "Glasgow 2014 have received no complaints from the Commonwealth Games Associations of the competing nations and territories following the Opening Ceremony."

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 30 Jul 2014 00:37

Well, the games were held in the UK, so they have to put up with our foibles.
If they were held in a fundamental Islamic state, all the contestants would be 'covered' - and wouldn't the games be fun :-D

Love to see the high jump in a burka, boxing in a thobe. :-D :-D

My niece is dating a Moslem basket ball player from a pretty fundamentalist family - but he wears shorts when playing!
'Fraid to say, when he came over here, niece got a lovely pic of me at a family picnic, fag in one hand, beer in the other - but I WAS fully covered, apart from upper chest and head - but that's only because of the way I dress :-D :-D

I think he was probably more bemused that over 20 family members/friends turned up at a burial site (woodland) for a picnic and chat/laugh to commemorate nieces dead father and grandmother (my mum)! Great fun was had by all :-D :-D

My dad had a Saluki (apparently the only 'clean' dog) when he lived in Saudi. If this is the case, where did all the packs of stray dogs of indeterminate breed that prowl vast areas of Riyadh come from?

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 30 Jul 2014 05:32

Not all Muslims are fundamentalists just like all Christians aren't fundamentalists. There are varying degrees of "observance" and rules within all religions.

Catholics are officially against birth control, for example, but other Christian religions aren't. And a lot of catholics aren't either in real life.

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 30 Jul 2014 10:34

Please read the comments here:

http://themuslimissue.wordpress.com/2014/07/28/commonwealth-games-scottie-dogs-disrespectful-to-muslims/

I haven't had any complaints come across my news feed TBH but hey when do the papers care about whipping up more hatred. I think the comments reflect the mentality of a few but they always have the loudest voices!

Rambling

Rambling Report 30 Jul 2014 11:05

I think...... that the Scottie dogs should not have been there in coats anyway, dogs should not be made to wear coats in hot weather for such a reason,( or actuallyfor any reason, unless they have no coat of their own ie medical reasons, or are one of those poor inbred scraps of un-natural doggyhood which are too frail to keep themselves warm. the ones which are 'toys' for silly women)

While we're on the subject, much has been made of Muslims avoiding dogs' saliva, I wonder if this did not have sensible roots in the past in that dogs carried rabies in the countries where Islam took root? like people here would see a rat and think 'plague'? I don't know, it's just a thought and perhaps someone will tell me ;-)

Some of the rituals and practices of all religions are beyond my comprehension, but they may have originally had some semblance of sense ( dietary etc). It is not unreasonable to suppose that someone of the Muslim faith once wrote down his own feelings on dogs, which became 'law'...just as St Paul said that all women should be covered, as hair was a glory to a man but a shame to a woman ( words to that effect) and was/is why women cover their heads in church.

So many thoughts in my poor little brain :-( ;-)

**Stella ~by~ Starlight**★..★..★

**Stella ~by~ Starlight**★..★..★ Report 30 Jul 2014 11:29

They must have known in advance that dogs were going to be included in the opening ceremony so why didn't they opt out?

Religions and their various beliefs cause not just little happenings like this but full blown wars...

Why can't we just respect each other ...i am sure there was no rule to say that their teams had to have a dog representative in the parade. :-0

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 30 Jul 2014 11:29

If any of you have read the links that Our Rose put on.

it's not just about Muslims not wanting dogs there.

It's about the saliva from the dogs mouth which is unclean...

Isn't it the saliva from the dog the only reason we have to have a Tetanus injection if and when we get bit by a dog...

**Stella ~by~ Starlight**★..★..★

**Stella ~by~ Starlight**★..★..★ Report 30 Jul 2014 11:31

No Sue... it's because the saliva passes on rabies from an infected dog.Tetanus is a different thing altogether it can caused by any puncture wound letting in bacteria , not just from dogs:-D