General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Small things that please out of all

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rambling

Rambling Report 6 Sep 2014 18:03

proportion to their size or value :-)

I have a little pin tray from the 80s when I worked in a shop which sold household accessories and toys. I think it cost 50/75p or thereabouts, it is only 6" x 4" , Italian, melamine, but has a 'naive' painting on it , sort of Grandma Moses style, of an Italian village scene and people in the snow.

It makes me happy :-D

Do you have a keepsake, ornament etc , that is like that in terms of the pleasure it brings?

( edit another small thing that makes me happy is when I don't leave out the second S in accessories, now added ;-) )

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 6 Sep 2014 21:11

I have a room temperture ornament that my Dad gave me, it was a present to him from Mallorca when his best friend went there on holiday a few years ago.
I love it, no monetary value though just sentimental.

Tecwyn

Tecwyn Report 6 Sep 2014 22:17

When I was a small boy, maybe five, six, or seven yrs old, I spent a lot of time with my grandmother (Nain in Welsh)
Often went shopping to the High St, where she might buy a cake, eggs etc, and place them in her small raffia shopping basket with multi coloured plastic handles.

Was always proud to be allowed to carry this home.

When she died, aged 96, I was helping empty her house.
To my delight I found the basket in the attic. That brought back many happy memories, and nostalgia.
It was the only item I took from the house, and still have it. No value, except to me.

A relic from the 40s - bit like me.

:-D

Tec :-)

Rambling

Rambling Report 6 Sep 2014 22:28

Speaking of raffia Tec, I have a woven basket that was my mum's, must be 1940's it is oval with a lid, a sewing basket really I suppose, the colour has all faded on the outside but inside it is bright as a button :-)

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 6 Sep 2014 22:29

My "witch" threader - given to me about 40 years ago and still used very regularly

https://img1.etsystatic.com/002/0/6891069/il_340x270.364746819_7scd.jpg

BillinOz - was your longlife diary your small pleasure, or is it a request for help?

Tecwyn

Tecwyn Report 6 Sep 2014 22:34

My Nain's shopping basket is the same kind of thing, but oblong shape, without a lid.
Two small cane handles bound with multi coloured plastic strip.

Still has it's colour, and in remarkable condition for it's age.

A collectors item now I expect :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 6 Sep 2014 23:31

Nanny's table knives that are so much better for spreading butter than my own table knives, cause Nanny used them for it.

The last of her dining chairs that is in the kitchen.

Wend

Wend Report 6 Sep 2014 23:32

I have so many 'treasures' in my loft that remind me of those who have gone. I don't know why I keep them, because I know when I leave this mortal coil, they will all be tossed in the large skip with all my other stuff, but they still make me happy when I look at them from time to time :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 7 Sep 2014 01:44

what on earth could MC have said to be reported????????????????????

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 7 Sep 2014 01:46

I have a couple of things that daughter bought for me when she was young ............. she used her own money, so they cost only pennies.

but the best thing that I wouldn't give away is my mother's wooden rolling pin ...... Dad gave it to me just before we left the UK, saying that the one that had been given to us as wedding present "was too lightweight to be any use".

I used that rolling pin throughout my childhood. It has a burn on the side where I placed it too close to one of the rings on the gas stove.

It is a lovely weight for rolling out pastry :-)

It has to date back to the 1930s, or possibly about their marriage in 1928

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 7 Sep 2014 07:32

I have a lump of lava with an Italian coin stuck in it. During WW2 Dad was in Naples when Vesuvius erupted. The English soldiers helped with the evacuation of nearby villages and also went up to the lava field.

Some of them pressed coins into the cooling lava and collected them later. I would never part with it.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 7 Sep 2014 08:14

Rose, I wonder if the basket you mention is a creel basket. I had one in the 1960s, it was a handbag/shopping bag and they were all the rage at one time.

I googled and found pics of some similar ones.

My Mum threw mine out when I was living away from home for a while, along with several other things I still think about and which I was always upset about. I don't get my hoarding from her lol

I have a green glass paperweight my Dad gave me years back, I don't know where it came from but it just reminds me of him so much. Also still have a watch he bought me as an extra 21st birthday gift - I was working away for the summer and sent home my watch for him to fix as he was good at things like that. He fixed it but went out on his own and bought me an inexpensive but lovely tiny watch, again it means so much because he did it off his own bat.

Lizx

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 7 Sep 2014 08:51

I have no idea why my post about my Witch needle threader was reported!

I did ask a question about someone else's post as to whether it was their own small treasure (something about a Life Book, or similar) that they'd lost and did they want some help? That person has deleted their post plus their response to my question so I'm surmising they didn't want my post which referenced it visible.

I hasten to add that it was all very civil.

EDIT 10/09/2014 - See my post reinstated.

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 7 Sep 2014 09:16

Standing to one side on my dining room window ledge, I have a Cherry Boy. He is about 18" tall, clutching a basket of cherries and is in the process of eating some of them.

He is made of either chalk or plaster and is quite crudely fashioned, in that not a lot of skill has gone into his features etc.

He is well over 60 years of age as I can remember him standing on my grandparents window sill and have photos of him there.

After their deaths, an aunt from the 'other' side of the family took him home with her and I didn't like to say anything. However, when she died, I brought him to my home where he has settled in nicely. My husband isn't keen on him at all, but I love him.

I've just googled Cherry Boy and was surprised to see similar photos of him cropping up. I must look into his history a bit more but I won't part with him. <3

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 7 Sep 2014 09:55

A very small bar brooch that was given to me by my late M I L . No value cashwise but worth over it's weight in gold to me.
Also my late Dad's smoking pipe when I pick it up I can still smell his favourite tobacco in it. Sure to bring many a tear to my eye. <3

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 7 Sep 2014 10:18

A couple of Christmas decorations....

A hand made felt choir boy, and a robin with feathers. The choir boy was made by my mother, and her robin was wired onto the tree. Our grown up children get upset if it gets left off!

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 7 Sep 2014 10:42

Cynthia - I think that is from the same stable as my Gran's 'Whistling Boy' which we all loved. My eldest sister 'inherited' it but alas it got broken a few years ago :-(

I have a small silver cartouche which I wear on a silver chain, bought in Egypt for a small sum when I was about 23. It's the piece of jewellery I've worn the most and I love the feel of it.

Rambling

Rambling Report 7 Sep 2014 12:39

Just to say that I looked at the witch needle threader picture and was going to say that I'd never seen one before. Can't imagine why MC was reported. :-S

Thanks to all for replies :-D

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 7 Sep 2014 12:52

I have a Cornish Pixie which is kept on my key ring, I've had it since about 1959 just after Mum died.

One of my holidays every year was to Perranporth with my Sister and her family because I had whooping cough (and unknown at that time TB) and the sea air was supposed to be good for me.

They were wonderful holidays, I enjoyed those much more than traveling abroad with my Father.

A tiny item but chock full of memories of beaches, ice creams, collecting sea shells and honeysuckle filled lanes.

x

Rambling

Rambling Report 7 Sep 2014 14:07

This is the type of weave of my basket, and colouring :-D

http://www.rubylane.com/item/609145-HB-2/Hopi-Coil-Basket-1940x27s