General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Do you like marrow?

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 20 Sep 2014 06:55

I do, I have always loved marrow and was only too pleased to have a go at growing some with Fred's mate.

We had never grown them before so were not sure if we would get any.

Now I still like marrow but am not entirely sure what to do with it next. Only one of our long-term neighbours likes marrow and has taken three from us this year.

The new neighbour thinks I am extremely kind or mad because I give her vegetables, marrows and runner beans (another story). She doesn't know and I am not going to tell her.

There are only seven more up the garden.

Want one?

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 20 Sep 2014 08:15

I'm not sure what you mean by "marrow"........ pumpkin?

:-S

badger

badger Report 20 Sep 2014 08:26

stuff them with a mix of rice and tuna ,or meat ,and roast in foil in the oven.Slice them and roast with other veggies in the oven for a Sunday dinner ,or even use them for making jam.Fred :-D :-D :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 20 Sep 2014 08:34

Done all those several times and still they are coming!

It is a member of the squash family.

A vegetable marrow. A big, long, green job with stripes.

Island

Island Report 20 Sep 2014 08:42

Haha! Join the club. I refuse to run out of ideas for overgrown courgettes.

If I'd only planted four seeds Murphys law says they would have failed.

I have about 40 runner bean plants, the intention being to grow them on for the huge beans inside - yummy.

To answer your question.......no, I don't like marrow as a vegetable.

ann

ann Report 20 Sep 2014 08:51

I boil it and then mash it with salt, pepper and butter

Sharron

Sharron Report 20 Sep 2014 08:54

Isn't it fun learning?

People give us things and we bung them in and I buy plants from Aldi expecting them to fail.

The raspberry canes we were given produced a few each year for a couple of years and that was all we thought we would have but now they have gone in to production and we have loads.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 20 Sep 2014 10:18

We do, but sometimes you can have too much of a good thing!

We bought 2 for a £1 from the farm shop, and boy, were they big! One was shared around the family.
To use the other one up, after the stuffed marrow meal, it became the main ingredient as a sort of savoury pudding except with no baking powder it was more like a frittata. You can also use it as a mock apple pie filling with loads of sugar and cinnamon.

Enjoy!

Sharron

Sharron Report 20 Sep 2014 10:27

I make a pie with cubed marrow and sultanas which I stew with some sugar and a bit of ginger or cloves.

This goes into a pie which is absolutely delicious the first couple of times.

It doesn't make a good staple!

Nothing I make will ever have loads of cinnamon, ever,ever, ever!

BrendafromWales

BrendafromWales Report 20 Sep 2014 11:18

How about marrow rum...made some years ago... :-S

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 20 Sep 2014 11:52

aaaaah, marrow is a big courgette ~ which is called zuchinni in Australia.

I make a leek & zuchinni soup, and a zuchinni slice, and lots more ~ should I post the recipes?

Sharron

Sharron Report 20 Sep 2014 11:58

Don't think so.

We are full of bad intentions where booze is involved.

There are blackberry and raspberry liqueur, raspberry vodka, sloe gin, plum brandy and stuff people have given us or we have won.

It all sits in the cupboard where we put it with the intention of drinking it one day.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 20 Sep 2014 12:51

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/collections/zucchini+recipes

Some of these look interesting :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 20 Sep 2014 21:08

Oh I hope so.

I will have a look.

There are ten marrows up the garden.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 20 Sep 2014 22:21

our Jamaican neighbour used to grow his zucchini to full size .......... we didn't know what to do with the first he gave us!

He used to slice the marrow in to ca ½' thick slices, dip into a batter, and then deep fry

They were delicious.

I used to make zucchini bread or cake ..................... I'm sure you could also use marrow the same way

this looks good ..................

Greek Fried Zucchini

2 cups 1/4" sliced baby marrows
freshly ground black pepper and sea salt
flour

Add salt & pepper to flour. Dip each slice of baby marrow into flour and fry in the olive oil until golden brown.

Serve with tzatziki (a mixture of plain soy yoghurt, grated cucumber and garlic).

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 20 Sep 2014 22:25

marrow jam?

I've made this one

Marrow and Ginger Jam

Basic recipe = 5½ lb zucchini (marrow), 5½ lb sugar, 9½ oz water, 3½ lemons (juice & rind) (or 1½ lemons + 4 tbsp Realemon), 4 tsp powdered ginger

(Recipe is combination of recipes from 4 cookbooks).

Peel, seed & cut marrow into small cubes. Place in bowl with sugar & water & leave overnight. Place in pan with lemon rind & juice & ginger. Bring to boil, boil gently until thick & showing signs of jellinng (ca. 1½-2 hrs.). Fruit should be showing clear. Becomes very sweet if boil too long.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 20 Sep 2014 22:26

If you happen to end up with a pumpkin, this was good. It's a recipe from Newfoundland

PUMPKIN MARMALADE

Basic recipe = 8 lbs pumpkin, 6 lbs sugar, ca. 2½ lemons, 1 tin crushed pineapple

Chop pumpkin flesh into small cubes, put in a bowl with sugar & leave 2 days. Put into pan and add pulp and rind of lemons (pulp & rind cut thin, and excess white removed and discarded).
Bring to boil and boil slowly for about 2 hrs, add pineapple and boil a further 30 mins.

Sharron

Sharron Report 21 Sep 2014 09:27

How big is a tin of crushed pineapple? I don't think we have it here.

Because I am making green tomato jam this year and we have an archive of jams from Fred's foraging endeavours over seven years, I don't think I should be making any more preserves for a while.

I didn't even mean to make the green tomato jam.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 21 Sep 2014 09:52

Next time there is a village fair, how about selling some of the surplus jams? 50% to you, the rest to the organisers?
Would an honesty box work if you put out the extra marrows to 'help yourself'?

Sharron

Sharron Report 21 Sep 2014 10:02

I don't feel able to sell my jams with all the H&S caper.

One of the smallholdings down the road used to sell veg but they tried again this year and people were not as keen to use the honesty box as they used to be.

Marrows are not fashionable these days. When the veg stall was at the smallholding he was selling little teeny leeks and things because people do stir- fries (I don't even know how to do one properly) these days rather than make a meal.