General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Hospitals

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 22 Sep 2014 00:02

Are noisy places. Totally upset my sleeping pattern :-|
Didn't help. being moved from one ward to another a 1:15 am :-|

SueMaid

SueMaid Report 22 Sep 2014 00:03

You are in hospital !?!

Florence61

Florence61 Report 22 Sep 2014 00:07

Aw maggie, didn't know you were in hosp. Hope nothing too serious.
unfortunately, when we are in hospital for any reason, i have discovered that they are not places designed to let you sleep.

i am been in a few times and not once did i ever get any proper sleep. I was always so glad to get home to my own bed!

hope you will be allowed out soon.
take care

florence
in the hebrides.

Ps You could always try asking for a double dose of sleeping tablet. <3

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget Report 22 Sep 2014 00:20

Hope that you are home soon.

Dame*Shelly*(

Dame*Shelly*("\(*o*)/") Report 22 Sep 2014 00:27

maggie
hope you are ok
get well soon <3 <3 <3

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 22 Sep 2014 00:38

I'm home now.

Sent up on Friday morning by my GP for a scan, as he thought I had appendicitis. Didn't get a scan, but they kept me in overnight with no food (hadn't eaten since 6:30 pm on Thursday) 'just in case'. Wasn't offered a sleeping tablet, nor painkillers - which to be honest, didn't bother me. However, they did insist I put those stupid socks on - which led to my legs becoming very sensitive, and my calf muscles hurting.

Bl**dy uncomfortable beds as well!!!

I was 'rescued' by my daughter Saturday afternoon. If she hadn't turned up - mainly to get a key to feed my cats, I may still be in!!

I didn't /haven't got appendicitis, but am now awaiting another colonoscopy :-|

So, still have the pain :-(
Meant to go to work tomorrow (hollow laugh) I struggled in for 4 days last week with the pain and vomiting, and, apparently a high temperature!! Vomiting and temperature almost gone.
I'm waiting until I feel 110% better!

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 22 Sep 2014 01:06

Maggie ................

I do hope that they can find out what is wrong with you.

It couldn't be gall bladder could it???

last time I was in hospital ......... they woke me up at 2 am to see how I was feeling. Last wake up check had been 1 am

Bloomin' painful after a mastectomy that morning was the reply.

Oh, well we can't give you any more painkillers ....... but I'll give you another tranquiliser and leave you to sleep

well and good ....................

but then it turned out that I was sharing the 2 bed room with someone in the early stages of Alzheimer's who was convinced that she had to get up and dressed at 4 am in order to be ready for her daughter to arrive at about 6:30 am, and then the ambulance at about 7:00 am for a transfer to another hospital to have a scan done

The nurses knew nothing about her problem until I told them :-(

I was glad to be released at 10 am to go home!

.......... to the tender care of the Home Nursing Unit

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 22 Sep 2014 01:27

Too low for gall bladder, Sylvia.
I've got diverticular disease, which erupts when stressed (at work), so that's probably the culprit, but as they are in denial about stress at work, despite all the cr*p systems not working, I'm not 'allowed' to be off work for anything stress related!!!
My sickness absences are 'merited'. When I asked for an explanation about what this meant, I was given a list.

Sickness absence is 'acceptable' for:
Planned hospital appointments and any recovery time (and I had to fight for that)
Breaking a limb
Viruses, such as Flu etc

So, the stress induced Arrhythmia and gastritis I suffered in May and June aren't 'acceptable' as reasons to be off work (despite being certificated by my doctor)

This was an 'unplanned' hospital visit - I'd love them to not 'accept' this!!!!

Guess who's just waiting for the colonoscopy, with letter of resignation in one hand and month-long (the amount of notice I have to give)certificate from doctor (who's told me, for my health's sake to leave) in the other?

Thank you, mum for the small inheritance that allows me to leave a cr*p job and survive for a couple of months
:-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 22 Sep 2014 03:27

I'm so glad that you're going to be able to quit that job

Can you afford to retire, or will you have to find another job in a couple of months time?

Sharron

Sharron Report 22 Sep 2014 04:12

I can tell you the name of a brilliant hypnotherapist in the Pompey area.

He worked wonders for my stress and equipped me to deal with any further problems.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 22 Sep 2014 05:08

Maggie, I am sorry you have had such a rough time and totally agree with you re the poor sleep one gets in hospital, all down to the noise and inconsideration shown by the night staff when I was in a few years ago. I heard the full story of one nurse's labour and another one's holiday abroad, in the end I went and closed the door of the ward, I was the only person in there. The staff came and opened it up again saying I had leave the door open so they could hear me if I shouted for them or anything was wrong. I was in for kidney stones. I told them if they all shut up I would leave the door open, if they continued to chat and giggle as tho it was daytime, I would be closing the door again. They did try and keep quiet for a little while but it soon erupted into a noisy nurses station again. I complained when I got home but I don't think things changed.

I am glad you will be leaving that stressful job at last and hope things work out so you can stay at home and manage, or find a nice job that you can enjoy and not get stressed about. Maybe then you will have less health problems.

Take care

Lizxxx

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 22 Sep 2014 10:30

Hi Sylvia,
I can't afford to retire, I'm one of those who now has to work until I'm 66 - I'm 58 now. :-( I'll take a couple of months off, take time visit the CAB to see if I have a case for (I think it's) constructive dismissal, then do a spot of 'temping' to keep the wolf from the door.

Sharon, Thanks for the suggestion - my stress is purely work-related. I can do the job - shame the new technology can't do it's job!! The rest of the team are stressed by it - but their bodies don't react like mine!

Liz, Initially, I was in a room on my own. I turned my light off and closed the door. Someone opened it and the corridor light shone straight in my face. I kept getting up and pushing it 'too.'
Finally came to a compromise - they gave me a buzzer and closed the door.
I opened the window as I was hot.
Managed to sleep, then was woken by weird shouting outside. This was a bit confusing. I lay there listening. Very faintly, I could hear women in labour - well it is a hospital! What curdled my blood, and the noise that woke me up, was the mimicking that followed, and the raucous laughter after. There were people outside copying the women in labour.

Half past midnight I (and my bed) was moved to an open ward. Alarms all bl**dy night!! There had been alarms in the other place - but not so continuous. Not emergency alarms just bleeping and equipment making noises.
Doctor came at 2am to discuss the lady in the end bed's condition with her. Very hard not to hear at that time of the morning.

I was by the shower/loo. Every hour or so, there was a rushing windy noise from the loo, and air freshener came blowing out of the vents in the door - straight at me. I can't stand air fresheners :-(

My daughter works nights in the maternity unit. I mentioned the morons mimicking the women in labour. Apparently it's common at weekends, and particularly during Freshers week (the hospital is a handy short cut from the Univesity's Union bar to the first year accommodation.)
Although it can't be proved it is the actions of students from the University - there is also a pub nearby - I sent the Student Union an e-mail yesterday. Am awaiting a reply! :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 22 Sep 2014 10:36

Just looked at my e-mails This was sent at 9:25:

Many thanks for your email and bringing this to our attention. We will investigate the observations you have made about noise around the hospital and also pass on your email to the University for their consideration.

The Student Union works hard, with both the University and our student members, to educate and moderate student behaviour and volume in public places, particularly late at night and we will continue to do so rigorously, particular at this time of a new student intake.

We don’t have such an immediate dialogue with the County Arms, but we will pass along your comments to them at the next Winchester pubwatch meeting.

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 22 Sep 2014 15:33

Am so sorry to hear you have been in hospital and that really you are no further forward medically.

The Council is disgusting in its attitude - words fail me.

As a friend always said that hospitals were no place for sick people. There is certainly no peace and quiet.

Take care <3 <3

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 22 Sep 2014 17:47

I was diagnosed with diverticular disease earlier this year so I sympathise totally. It's something that produces all sorts of different symptoms and, in my case, it's still a very steep learning curve.

I have a contact nurse at the colorectal clinic and she's very good and does phone me to see how I am :-D

I really hope you feel better soon and they can get it under some sort of control (pssst..... if they do let me into the secret please) :-0

I am one of those patients who has all the 'home irrigation' kits :-S

Sue

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 22 Sep 2014 20:31

Hi Chris,
Certainly not a 'caring' place to work. The rest of the team are feeling equally trodden on. Our line manager has left. A long term temp left, and his replacement, who initially thought the job was a breeze has rapidly changed her mind since we've stopped answering her phone for her and is becoming very vocal about the amount of work we're expected to do in the time we've got.
Another member has left, and her replacement temp hasn't been offered the job full time. Another member is looking for another job, and when it's totally inconvenient for them, I'll be going!!

Hi Sue,
Generally I have the worst aspect :-S under control, but when I get stressed the delightful diverticula erupt, causing lot of pain and bloating and I have to go on a course of antibiotics - which my body doesn't like, which means time of work etc.

Diet-wise, I know exactly what I can't eat - unless I feel like a purge :-0 Strangely, it's beetroot (which I love) and purple carrots!!

Rarely eat bread now, unless it's not made using the Chorleywood technique, and only occasionally have mild curry for a special treat.

I haven't got a contact nurse, nor the 'irrigation' kits (what are they?), so probably have milder symptoms than you.

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 22 Sep 2014 22:08

Err....I'll pm you about the kit ;-)

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 22 Sep 2014 23:56

:-D Sue - replied.

What a pair we'd make :-D :-D :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 23 Sep 2014 00:04

OH was diagnosed with diverticulitis about 20 years ago ............. and told keep away from tomatoes and any other foods with small seeds in them, as the seeds could get trapped among the diverticula

Daughter, then in her teens, looked very quizzically at him, and then said ..............

"Would the seeds germinate inside you? Would you have tomato plants growing?"

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 23 Sep 2014 00:10

:-D :-D :-D

I've never been told not to eat them.......

.......Though it seems logical. But as I have at least 4 a day and have just bough a packet of different varieties of small tomatoes, I'll eat them first before I ask about the danger of eating them :-D

Was he told to avoid raspberries too? The seeds from them get caught in my wisdom teeth :-(