General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Victoria coach station,London.Have you used it?

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Florence61

Florence61 Report 22 Sep 2014 07:59

Has anyone ever used Victoria coach station and if so what is it like?

I have an elderly relative who's travelling from Kent to Victoria then on to somewhere else. They have 1 1/2 hours there and cant go anywhere else.

I googled it and the reviews I read are not very good. "Pigeon infested dump" is how someone describes it!

All my rellie wants is somewhere to sit, have a cup of tea and read the paper til their next coach is due.

So if you have been there, tell me your experience, good or bad please.

Florence
in the hebrides

PS off to work now, but will be back on later this evening.

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 22 Sep 2014 08:44

Florence - there are quite a few decent places within a few minutes of the coach station where they could grab a cup of coffee/tea and a bite to eat, have a look here:-

http://www.londontown.com/NearByRestaurants/Restaurant/20663/Directory/Restaurant-near-Victoria%20Coach%20Station/

Wend

Wend Report 22 Sep 2014 09:13

Florence, I would recommend The Willlow Walk pub which is half-way down Wilton Road just past Victoria Station. It's a large Weatherspoons, where several GR meets have taken place. There are quiet areas where your relative could sit and have a coffee in comfort. That is, if there isn't a GR meet going on lol! I'm not sure if it might be too far for your relative to walk to though.

Where's MtG - she's a London gal who knows these things :-D

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 22 Sep 2014 09:21

it is a terrible place full of people of very limited means making very long journeys, chancers and out and out thievery pick pockets etc. Your rellie should leave smartly for one of the OK nearby places but be sure to be back 30min before the connexion leaves. Yr rellie should check the exact bay it will leave from as the place is chaotic. The refreshment places and facilities are like something from George Orwell's gloomier days. Recommended dress code: drab / grunge.
good luck ;-)

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 22 Sep 2014 09:33

we have used it about 6 times this year
and never had a problem
there's a few places to eat and drink close by and inside the bus station

and I often use it traveling on my own :-D :-D

Wend

Wend Report 22 Sep 2014 09:44

Well, that should cheer Florence up and put her mind at rest RTR. :-(

Edited at 10.01

Island

Island Report 22 Sep 2014 10:13

FGS Rollo don't be so alarmist and snobby! It's wise to keep your wits about you and valuables hidden wherever you are.

Florence, I'm sure there is a cafe in the station or at least a tea bar. I haven't explored the area in depth but there is bound to be a cafe nearby.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 22 Sep 2014 11:51

A neighbour travelled up from Kent recently and discovered that the coach went into a different section of Victoria Coach station - she had to cross the road to the part she wanted, destination Wales. She said it took her 30 mins to work out where she was going, and the Stand she'd need.
Allow for traffic delays as well as sorting out where she is going!

I can ask her about places to eat/drink. She normally takes her own. She's never mentioned any worries about safety. She just finds a seat in the Station and reads her book until its time to board. She did mention that to spend a penny, she had to spend 35!

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 22 Sep 2014 12:10

I am not being alarmist. Victoria Coach Station is London's no1 hot spot for drug offences and top 5 for "minor" theft common assault etc. I do use it from time to time. As I am a brawny 95kg and know London very well (and thus where not to go and when) I encounter little hassle. Shy birds not knowing their way around should be wary.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 22 Sep 2014 12:14

My Mum, who is in her 80's and blind in one eye, meet me last year at Victoria Coach Station.

She had to wait as the coach was a little bit late but she never expressed feeling unsafe being there.

My only problem was trying to get from the coach station to the railway station.

No idea how about the facilities for a cup of tea as did not use them.

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 22 Sep 2014 15:48

We used it once 1st May 1971, we were going away on honeymoon and were using it to get to the airport, we thought we would be able to leave our luggage and toddle off for a quiet meal.

Nowhere to leave bags, finished up sitting on a bench surrounded by our bags for a couple of hours,drinking tea from a leaking plastic cup sooo romantic. :-( :-( :-(

Mind you things got better the next day when we arrived at our destination ;-) ;-) ;-)

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 22 Sep 2014 17:28

when I go to London on my own I travel on the over night bus home
and I have never seen any drugs

neither has anybody bothered me :-D :-D
there's good and bad everywhere
and in the bus station there is lots of staff

so if anybody did become a pest I would call for a staff member

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 22 Sep 2014 18:23

Victoria Station is just that. A station. Nothing very lovely about it, the coaches come in and out.

I agree with Wend. Toodle over to the Willow Walk, a Weatherspoons pub, where you can sit comfortably, have something to eat and drink. It is no more than 5 minutes from the Coach Station.

Susan10146857

Susan10146857 Report 22 Sep 2014 18:26

a tip is to travel looking like a pauper.

I was asked by a very smartly dressed young woman for the price of a cup of tea lol

Another time I was asked for a light by a very large intimidating person. When I couldn't find my lighter I asked my husband to give him a light....He then said......I don't want a light from him, I want one from you......luckily our bus arrived and we quickly got on it.

Joeva

Joeva Report 22 Sep 2014 18:55

You might find this useful Florence - filmed in 2011.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3q6t5cowZGE

Florence61

Florence61 Report 23 Sep 2014 00:03

Sorry peeps, i took so long but was very late in from work and then called to an emergency committee meeting and not long in!

Anyway can i just say, thankyou for all your comments and info. They were varied and very helpful.

The most i have to say was your youtube link joeva. i have just watched it and really was just the ticket. i now will visualise my rellie and can see they can sit near the window and see where their other coach will arrive. Im sure outside the station as others have said, there is a weatherspoons and other places but my rellie i wouldnt trust to go too far as they would im sure get lost and being 76 and on their own, they might look a bit vulnerable. they would also be carrying a bag and a walking stick.

Have to say, it doesnt look too bad from what i saw. i did notice on thier website that it is closed on Sundays and my rellie is returning Sun afternoon. So probably means no shops or tea bar open. maybe they can bring a sandwich and drink with them on their return.

To be honest, I wish they hadnt decided to make this trip but they are very stubborn and went ahead and booked the coach and we the family didnt find out until afterwards. It's for their nephews wedding and they thought a weekend away would be lovely, but hadnt really thought it through with regards to travelling, 2 coaches, journey time etc.

Anyway not much we can do to change their mind at the moment, but we shall see.

Thanks again lovely people, really been very helpful.

nite nite
Florence
in the hebrides :-)

Kim Annette

Kim Annette Report 27 Sep 2014 21:06

Florence.. I was there a couple of weeks ago and all the buses were late so it was very very busy.. full of upset people cause there bus was late... I went outside cause as usual I was way too early and there is a Costas coffee shop right outside not the main entrance but the side entrance... also the places suggested above.. I did sit for a while and read the paper and a young girl started chatting to me and then I shared my paper with the lady on the other side of me.. so obviously and good ,, bad,, interesting ,, people watching,, funny place to go to...

Florence61

Florence61 Report 14 Oct 2014 22:42

Just a wee update.
Unfortunately my mother fell in her flat and fractured a bone in her ankle. She is ok but strapped up and hobbling about.

She tel to say she had cancelled her b and b, bus ticket etc but managed to get all her money back.

On relection she now admits ,she was too hasty in booking and now realises she probably wouldnt have managed on her own!

A blessing in disguise but feel very sorry for her and her foot is black and blue.

thanks again though for all your info.

florence
in the hebrides

Island

Island Report 14 Oct 2014 22:45

That's sad Florence. I wish her a speedy recovery.

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 14 Oct 2014 23:10

Dear Florence

Hello

Very sorry to read your mum has had an accident.

She must be very shaken.

Hope she makes a good recovery.

For now, hope she can take things easy and gently.

Many get well wishes to her,

Very best wishes to you, Florence
Elizabeth,
xx