General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Finally dealing with it.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 12 Oct 2014 00:28

As far back as I can remember I have kind of closed down when things became too much for me. It has never been logical and I have always tried to overcome it and, of course, the abuse had to be hurled a bit harder when I was growing up and my extreme and loathsome laziness explained to me once again. This was usually done from the sofa behind a cloud of smoke and a Woman's Weekly. (Jim Royle in a frock!)

Since I have had my little wobbly I have had time to have a look on the internet to see if I could find out any more about it and it seems to be a fairly usual reaction in people who grow up under great stress.

Luckily OH is doing his bit to help me through it all (not before time, he helped me get into this situation but that is another story).but it still has no logic to it at all.

Last week I made some jam on a good day. I hope it will not go off because the lids have stood on the stove for over a week because I have been unable to put them on. He had to do it today. I sterilized the jars and lids and filled the pots but putting those lids on was just not possible.

This morning I took the newspapers to the recycle sack ready to go into the bin. They had been on the floor for four days until I finally managed to do it.

At least, when I can't do anything else, I can still knit. I am on to the fourth garter stitch cushion cover for the sofa once I have finished sanding the floor and got the front room back into shape. There are ten to do altogether so I really don't know what I will do when they are finished.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 12 Oct 2014 03:23

Sharron, I can fully understand what you are saying. I have suffered since I left school from what was then called nervous debility and had to take time off many times. I was never encouraged to go foranything or given confidence in myself so I had to learn to overcome my nerves and be braver. Its always such a battle but has become easier. My mother was a bundle of nerves and always told me she had an inferiority complex. She never tried to teach me how to cope.

I am glad your husband is supportive , do show him that you appreciate his efforts even if a bit late and dont be afraid to ask for help, I know you are a very independent person but do let others help you sometimes.

Procrastination is a problem for me. I once borrowed a book about procrastination and renewed it twice before returning it unread!

Chin up Sharron, and just do what you can when you can

Lizxx

Sharron

Sharron Report 12 Oct 2014 07:46

I am finally in a position to do this but it has always annoyed me that this should happen. It gets in my bloody way!

It is usually because I am wading my way through some sort of mess not of my making that it happens too!

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 12 Oct 2014 09:34

As I have thought before Sharron we should have been twins ;-) :-D :-D :-D. Mine at this very moment is painting the kitchen. We bought everything to do it and here it still sits. :-|

Sharron

Sharron Report 12 Oct 2014 09:42

And it probably because you can't take the brush out of it's wrapper.

You come and sand my floor and I will do your kitchen for you.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 12 Oct 2014 09:42

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D. Sharron

I can't be bothered to find the scissors to cut it open