General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Nicola Sturgeon

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Graham

Graham Report 16 Oct 2014 10:07

What do you think of the Republic of Scotlands first female president?

Nicola Sturgeon got the job following the resignation of Alexander the Salmon.

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 16 Oct 2014 10:39

President :-S Republic :-S as a Scot these are not familiar to me nor will they be familiar to many other Scots - the terms "First Minister" and "Scottish Parliament (a legitimately elected government within the UK with devolved powers) are familiar to me.

That said, I am not a supporter of the SNP, however I do consider Nicola Sturgeon to be a formidable politician and orator, she fights her corner for what she believes in, and that is a fairer and more equal society offering a better way of life for everyone - the reason she went into politics was to fight against the divisions and inequalities being created by the Thatcher government.

Is there is a President of the Republic of Northern Ireland or the Republic of Wales? :-S

Dermot

Dermot Report 16 Oct 2014 10:48

Nicola's political life (so far) was the subject of a recent R4 programme. Seems to be a bright lady.

I wish her well in her elevated position.

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 16 Oct 2014 10:49

I cannot bear to watch or listen to Nicola Sturgeon.

I didn't actually dislike Alex Salmond but... that woman really gets on my nerves!

Dermot

Dermot Report 16 Oct 2014 11:18

It's a pity that some have little idea what success feels like. Begrudgery shouldn’t be a national pastime

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 16 Oct 2014 12:17

Sturgeon has a chip as big as the rock of Hoy on her shoulder. Her objective is to get through the negotiations for "wider powers" for the Scots parliament what the SNP failed to get through the referendum. The general idea is that the overall UK budget will write a blank check for Scottish spending and borrowing - a sort of Barnet on steroids with no control at all from London. Gordon Brown would be keen for her to succeed but the current Labour front bench ( bar Milliband of course ) are less likely to bend over.

Whichever way the 2015 election goes Sturgeon will stir up a lot of trouble but then she thrives on it. Whether Scotland will is doubtful.

Amokavid

Amokavid Report 16 Oct 2014 13:08

............"President, Republic, as a Scot these are not familiar to me nor will they be familiar to many other Scots - the terms "First Minister" and "Scottish Parliament (a legitimately elected government within the UK with devolved powers) are familiar to me.".............

Thankyou for that OFITG, i was going to reply in the same vein but you put it better & NICER than I would have done!!

I like Nicola Sturgeon,she is an excellent speaker & she does fight her / our corner, & we need someone to be able to do that for us, more so now, imo!
I also wish her well as First Minister.

Joan.

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 16 Oct 2014 13:26

Do you live in the Republic of England Graham
with President Cameron?
Who I may add has no respect, imo,of private
conversation between him and Britain's Queen.

Emma

Graham

Graham Report 16 Oct 2014 13:37

Well, you lot are certainly easy to wind up today :-D :-D :-D

Budgie Rustler

Budgie Rustler Report 16 Oct 2014 13:44

Top Man and First lady.

Diz this nay remind ye of a nither couple?
(Sorry, not very good with Raz Nesbitt impersonation).

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/keepsafe/asset/details/9381158

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 16 Oct 2014 13:45

No just pee..d off actually.

Doesn't put me up nor down anything to do
with the SNP...not interested in them, fed up
hearing about them cause they can't take NO
for an answer.

Emma

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 16 Oct 2014 13:55

Well said Minxy!
I was shopping in Glasgow City centre on Sunday afternoon with my daughter.
It was mobbed. Thousands of people had turned up for a rally in George Square which they called....Hope Over Fear !

Dermot

Dermot Report 16 Oct 2014 14:20

When we talk constantly about what we dislike, we have little time left to speak of the things we like.

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 16 Oct 2014 14:37

In the last UK Parliament election, the Conservative Party, got 36% of the vote - in the last Scottish Parliament election, the Scottish National Party got 45% of the vote - maybe the First Minister of the Scottish Parliamnet has more claim, to be more representaive of the Scottish electorate, than David Cameron has to be representaive of the UK electorate ;-)

In saying that - I accept that the voting system in Scotland is different to that currently used in UK general elections.

In Scottish Parliament elections each voter has two votes, with one vote, voters choose between candidates standing in their constituency to elect a constituency MSP. The candidate who receives the largest number of votes in the constituency wins the seat. This voting system is called first-past-the-post. There are 73 constituencies for Scottish Parliament elections.

The other vote is for a political party, or for a candidate standing as an individual, within a larger electoral area known as a region. (A region is formed by the grouping together of between eight and ten constituencies.) There are eight Scottish Parliament regions and each region has seven additional seats in the Parliament.

The MSPs chosen to fill these 56 additional seats are known as regional MSPs. Regional MSPs are allocated seats using a formula which takes into account the number of constituency seats that an individual or party has already won in that region, as well as the number of regional votes they received.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 16 Oct 2014 14:38

Which two letters in "NO" can Tommy Sheridan, not understand ?
Blockhead

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 16 Oct 2014 14:44

I totally agree with you Rollo, the less said about
him the better.

Emma

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 16 Oct 2014 15:10

Maybe for his next stunt T.S. will fly a drone device towing a flag across the upcoming Scotland - England soccer match 18 November at Celtic Park.
The drone will be environmentally friendly fueled by hot air from SNP politicians.

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 16 Oct 2014 15:13

Tommy Sheridan's court appearances show why this individual (I am being polite) is someone that politics in Scotland can well do without :-|

Florence61

Florence61 Report 16 Oct 2014 16:30

Why does he have to shout when hes talking?

When the General Election takes place, up here unless you vote SNP or Labour it's a wasted vote. Most people i know dont vote SNP or Labour. If you vote Tory, yes it will keep the tories in power down south but keeps the SNP in power here as so few vote Tory.

So to get rid of them, you need a lot of people voting labour as a protest really even though they may vote ukip or green if they were down south.

Sorry if this sounds a bit strange but it's probably unique to this area.

So i always feel my vote is a difficult choice, choice being the operative word...you can't win!

Florence
in the hebrides :-S

Dermot

Dermot Report 16 Oct 2014 21:38

Loud talking & brusque behaviour are signs of poor breeding & a primitive culture.