General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Has the(ex) hurricane arrived yet where you are?

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Florence61

Florence61 Report 20 Oct 2014 22:37

Is it wild with anyone yet?

Wind here has been quiet last hour and all of a sudden i can here it roaring and picking up all the time.

I am well ready with a good supply of candles and batteries for me torches.

we had a pre hurricane party last night lol.

it was a bit breezy...well only 60mph when i was just about to make a cuppa at 7pm. Without any flickering ..poof ..out the lights went and they never came on til 2am this morning.

Had to go and replenish candle stocks today as we used quite a few and I do have a lot according to OH too many.!! One can never have too many candles living up here I told him. So glad we do.

Going to fill the flasks so wont get caught out this time if it goes off.

Have to say, for a while it was quite cosy with the open fire surrounded by candles just didnt get to make that cuppa.

Stay safe everyone especially first thing tomorrow morning.

Florence
in the hebrides :-)

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 20 Oct 2014 22:41

ooer - stay safe Florence <3

we're expecting it overnight but probably not half as bad as you'll be getting - I've put things away in the garden just in case

Sylvia

Sylvia Report 20 Oct 2014 22:51

All is quiet here in yorkshire. I hope if it gets here it has gone by Wednesday as we have to travel on that day.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 20 Oct 2014 23:15

Ann, i did that at the weekend. Put my pots in the shed as they had been blown over once or twice already.

Sylvia, take care on wed wherever you are going to. better to drive slowly and arrive in one piece. Do you have far to go?

Take care
Florence
in the hebrides.

Ps Rain is now lashing down. off to fill flasks!

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 20 Oct 2014 23:27

Dear All

Hello

Batten down the hatches and take very good care of yourselves.

Lets try and keep in touch so we know that we are all safe.

With best wishes
Elizabeth,
xx

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 20 Oct 2014 23:34

It was really windy here yesterday and we also lifted all the pots and put them away in the shed.
It's been calm all day today but, the wind does seem to be picking up again!

I'm truly scared of strong winds :-0 :-0 :-0

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 21 Oct 2014 08:02

Really wet and windy here - and I've got to go out in half an hour :-(

Iris

Iris Report 21 Oct 2014 08:13

very wet and windy in my part of sussex at the moment , I had planned on going out , will have to see what its like in an hours time . :-(

Florence61

Florence61 Report 21 Oct 2014 08:15

Pretty wild up here and getting worse. Ferries all cancelled!
Children away to college but bus driver said they may be back early.

Stay safe everyone

Florence
in the hebrides

Mersey

Mersey Report 21 Oct 2014 08:46

Its horrid here in Liverpool Florence but no where near as bad as I could imagine with you.....Take care , stay safe and warm <3 <3

BrendafromWales

BrendafromWales Report 21 Oct 2014 10:34

Woke up at 3 .am and calm and quiet....at 6,and very wild and windy and still is.
Got to go out this afternoon for doc appt so hope it's blown itself out then.
Glad I came home yesterday from a short break I had with friend over weekend as I had to drive home on motorway and don't like that when windy!
Stay safe everyone. ??

Robert

Robert Report 21 Oct 2014 10:40

Florence,

It always seems to be wet in Stornoway at any time of the year according to
the weather maps.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 21 Oct 2014 10:40

lovely and sunny here in Cardiff - breezy but dry - don't think much happened overnight round here, small bin blown over - nothing else that I can see

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 21 Oct 2014 11:10

I've lost one fence panel overnight which forms part of a brick and timber wall.
It's the 2nd time this one has blown down

In the storm of Jan 2012 a huge section of the the wall came down taking the fence panels with it.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 21 Oct 2014 11:19

We're waiting to acquire next-door's gazebo :-D

TBH, in the SE its a bit windy & gusty, but nothing to get excited about (unless the gazebo really does come flying over the fence!)

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 21 Oct 2014 11:22

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/keepsafe/folder/contents/1

Photo of damage caused in Jan 2012

Florence61

Florence61 Report 21 Oct 2014 11:31

Robert, we have had some lovely weather this year particularly the summer.Last April(2013) we had no rain for a whole month and as a result our veg crop suffered terribly.

Windy ..yes quite often but it doesnt rain here all the time.

I actually dont live in stornoway which is over 30 miles away so it can be raining there and not here.

Fort William is known for it always being wet and Skye which is known as "the misty isle"

It's really still blowing a hooley and no sign of abating. havent suffered any damage.

Glasgow lass, really sorry to hear you suffered again. That must be awful. Heres hoping the storm will die down where you are and you dont lose anything else.

det- gosh.. really hope you dont acquire a summer house, that's a bit worrying.

last day off , back to school tomrrow.So wanted to tidy up the garden..but then again plenty indoors to keep me busy.

Florence
in the hebrides

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 21 Oct 2014 11:31

Started here at 7.30 this morning and still blowy.

Stay safe Florence and everyone <3

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 21 Oct 2014 12:19

It was not that bad in my part of Kent this morning, a bit breezy and some rain, however the wind is picking up now - accompanied by the odd heavy shower. My old legs are not very good at the best of times, as it does not take much for me to lose my balance, I will not be venturing outdoors today.

Wherever you are, if you do venture out today - take care, don't just watch out for falling branches, watch out also for wet leaves, they can make walking and driving treacherous <3

Barbra

Barbra Report 21 Oct 2014 12:31

Very windy overnight & heavy rain here in Dumfries & Galloway .we have sunshine now. but windy .Take care Florence & All Barbara :-)