General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

tattooed teachers

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

suzian

suzian Report 24 Oct 2014 23:32

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/education/article4244779.ece

What say you?

Allan

Allan Report 25 Oct 2014 04:45

This article has been reported in Oz where most comments were in favour of the School's stance.

I must admit that I worked in local government for many years in a managerial position which involved interaction with the public.

There is no way I would have employed someone with such overt tattoos or piercings; if they could be covered up/removed, fine,but otherwise, NO

Denis

Denis Report 25 Oct 2014 09:14

Could you expand on why your employer would not employ them? And how many years ago were you making these decisions? Just to get some context.

Allan

Allan Report 25 Oct 2014 09:25

My decisions were made up to six years ago, and all my staff had interaction with the public.

this was in the planning, building and health section of Council.

I did employ one building surveyor who had tattoos on his arms, but as he wore long sleeve shirts, this was never a problem

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 25 Oct 2014 09:52

the school is correct - 100%

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 25 Oct 2014 11:12

I saw a picture on FB, of a lad who had tattooes on every piece of skin available, including his head. He also had facial piercings, horrendous holes in his ear lobes and more besides. The overall impression was gruesome. The caption with it ran........."Can't get a job - blames the government".

Having a tattoo is, of course, a personal choice but one must be prepared for rejection from work where piercing could be dangerous and appearance counts.

ps....I do wonder what the lad will look like when he is old and wrinkled.. :-0 ;-)

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 25 Oct 2014 11:23

She was a teaching assistant, not a teacher.

In a different paper, the report states she was told at the interview that her tattoos needed to be covered.
When she arrived on her first day, the ones on her neck weren't. She knew the dress code and was unable/unwilling to comply.

In many jobs, first impressions count. Someone covered in tattoos can be off-putting, threatening even, as tattoos used to be associated with gang culture.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 25 Oct 2014 11:27

Back in the day I was a group engineer in local government.

Plenty of the guys had tattoos usually acquired while serving with the Royal Navy. Again the younger people's hair styles could be a bit extreme. OTOH what is the difference between being bald and shaving off your hair ? On being a redhead and dying your hair black and white?

Apart from insisting on a tie for office based staff I never made any objection as none of it was offensive. I don't think anybody arriving looked like Bradbury's "Illustrated Man" would have got as far as a job interview. If Joe Public acted up fine his case went to the bottom of the heap.

A fair number of policeman in the UK have tattoos non-visible to the public. Some are quite definitely offensive.

As I have posted before Australia has quite a history of defining this that and the other as beyond the line and then discriminating against it or worse. All the way back to the squatters (In what other country are the ruling class called squatters?).

Ann Cardiff should go and try one of their experiments in advanced city living such as Brisbane or Perth I am sure she would be in her element.

I carry no tattoos or piercings myself - imho they are naff but harmless. That soccer players are increasingly tattooed must have a deeper meaning but I'm not sure what it is. Doesn't seem to stop Arsenal shoving up their season ticket prices though :-( so a good chunk of Joe Public doesn't much care.

Dermot

Dermot Report 25 Oct 2014 12:08

There aren't many things that turn my stomach more effectively than the sight of an ancient tattoo on some part of an old age pensioner's crinkled anatomy. Yuck!

Tattoos might seem like a really cool idea when you're 22 or thereabouts & off your face with booze, drugs or both in Ibiza – but the problem is that these inky escapades don't disappear with your almighty hangover. Tippex is of no use either.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 25 Oct 2014 12:30

:-D :-D

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 25 Oct 2014 12:30

One sure way to avoid crinkles is to keep fit and keep off drugs and ciggies altogether and make sure you are up before midday. Sunbathing is another sure fire way to be a crinkly mess by 50. Saving money by avoiding Ibitha, Tenerif, Bournemouth etc will help in not joining the crinklies way too soon.

Another way of getting crinkly is to drive duff cars such as Qashquai, Jag X type, Micra, A-Type, Multipa and mini Countryman. Or maybe I am confusing cause and effect. Have you noticed that cars are getting tattoos? Saw what seemed to be a tarted up black VW Polo yesterday. It had designer labels "Black". Yes.

Tattoos can be removed but it as expensive.
Crinkles too but it is even more expensive. Beware high necklines.
Does it matter ? Clint Eastwood and Harrison Ford seem to be doing ok, no obvious tattoos though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9uDkTHj6k0

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 25 Oct 2014 15:31

As long as she can do the job she has been employed to do and has all the necessary qualifications and checks, I would have no problem.

Wonder how many of the parents at this school have tattoos.

Children will see people of all types during their lives. From Colour, Disabled, Sexually different.

Children are not affected by these things, they learn their prejudices from us adults......

Kay????

Kay???? Report 25 Oct 2014 17:07

She wasnt asked to remove them only cover them up...it happens in many jobs,facial studs are asked to be removed,,,,,Morrisons staff are made to cover any exposed tats up,,,,,,,we dont know if she informed that her tats must be covered on interview and didnt comply.

I say the school has every right to upheld its policies....

Dermot

Dermot Report 25 Oct 2014 18:05

Avoid dyslexic Tattooists.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 26 Oct 2014 11:50

Also wonder how many, if any, of the parents complained.........

Sounds to me like the pc brigade out waving their Daily Mails in protest......

:-D :-D :-D

Dermot

Dermot Report 26 Oct 2014 12:08

Obviously, tattoos are a matter of taste & there are serious aficionados who can cover every inch of your skin with ink if you so desire.

And there are some tasteful tats that won't cause you to swerve onto the footpath in shock horror. But then there's overkill – the enthusiast who'd shave the top of their head just to make space for another work of art.

Some professional footballers now feel that it's important to completely cover their body in draws of everything from Pope Francis to Sci-Fi, plus the names of their children - or at least the ones they're paying maintenance for.

Kim Annette

Kim Annette Report 26 Oct 2014 16:46

yuk...... but that's only my opinion.....

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 26 Oct 2014 17:56

sorry but I think they are unprofessional
and should be covered up :-D :-D

also the person having then is at a risk of getting hepatitis :-( :-(

Dermot

Dermot Report 26 Oct 2014 17:59

The former world heavyweight boxing champion Mike Tyson has something on the side of his head that looks like he accidentally walked into a concrete wall and had stitches applied by someone whose previous experience was in the world of patchwork quilting.

What he has actually done is managed to inflict greater destruction on his own face than any of his many opponents ever did in the ring.

However, Iron Mike is in the happy position that he knows it would take a brave man to poke fun at his body art – but someday he too will be an old man because even he ages at rate of 60 mins. per hour, and the side of his face will look like an alien.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 26 Oct 2014 18:14

I wouldnt wish to walk into to see a bank manager with a tatooed face,,,,,,or facial studs.......and I dont think the bank would employ anyone looking like it.

Establishments make the rules.and its their job to see they are adhered to..