General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Latest thing you might need!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 3 Nov 2014 10:23

I have just seen the advert for instant porridge to make in a cup.

Really, I can see the need for cup-a-soup and quite like it myself but have never felt the need to have a little bit of porridge at any time I have been out.

As for making it in a cup, well it is not even a drink.

Graham

Graham Report 3 Nov 2014 10:35

Whatever next? Instant sunday roast in a cup? :-S

Dermot

Dermot Report 3 Nov 2014 10:37

I'm afraid not - or - I'm a frayed knot!

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 3 Nov 2014 11:00

It would be quite handy for people in the workplace.
Oats are a source of slow release energy and better than some of cereal bars sold as 'breakfast' fast-foods

Sharron

Sharron Report 3 Nov 2014 11:10

I can't imagine wanting to have some porridge when you are at work.

I can imagine wanting to eat one of those bars but not to make a little bit of porridge in a cup.

Odd, very odd, but somebody will think they need it.

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 3 Nov 2014 11:11

I saw that advert too and I couldn't help thinking.....
Does the woman have asbestos hands and mouth?

How on earth did she take that steaming container from the microwave and start eating it ... instantly!

Also, at my workplace, microwave porridge at breaktime is very popular with the staff

Sharron

Sharron Report 3 Nov 2014 11:19

Even before you could get it in a little teeny sachet too.

Kense

Kense Report 3 Nov 2014 12:05

I thought that is what Readybrek is.

Dawnieher3headaches

Dawnieher3headaches Report 3 Nov 2014 12:40

now that would be handy for a caravan holiday cos I love my porridge but probably only because hubby makes it so nicely the proper way.

Sue

Sue Report 3 Nov 2014 12:50

Porridge oats can be cooked in the microwave for four minutes, anyway, so i dont think theres much to gain there. Alot of places of work have a microwave.

So as you say Sharron, someone will find the need for it, just because they think its a new invention
:-D
You could always transfer it into a cup, after cooking in bowl or jug. But, do you drink it or eat it with a spoon. Shudder......

Sharron

Sharron Report 3 Nov 2014 13:04

Ah, but it does give you the benefit of being able to buy two tablespoonsful of porridge oats for the price of a pound of oats in a bag.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 3 Nov 2014 13:12

I don't have it in a cup but I do sometimes make the instant porridge in a bowl in the microwave. It is very nice too. I can see it would be good at work, having it in a cup would probably disguise the fact that it is not tea/coffee. Some people leave for work very early, e.g. my daughter used to when she lived in Hampshire and worked in London so she left too early for breakfast and needed something after the journey before starting work. It would be good in that case I think. And better than a danish or similar.

Sharron

Sharron Report 3 Nov 2014 13:16

But Ann, it will only be a few porridge oats and maybe a bit of dried milk in a sachet.

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 3 Nov 2014 13:23

My daughter used to love the instant porridge.
There come in nice flavours but they also contain a fair amount of sugar.

Now a T1 diabetic, she would only have one of these if she had a hypo when there wasn't another available option.
Breakfast cereal bars are her hypo snack of choice.

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 3 Nov 2014 14:14

I was brought up on Scott's Porage Oats, but these days I buy Scott's So-Easy Pots - just add hot water for a nourishing quick snack :-)

Other brands are available - but I'll stck with Scotts:-D