General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

dogs and fireworks!

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sue

Sue Report 5 Nov 2014 16:33

We have had our jack russell for 6 months, she had a previous home, but the owners could not manage her.
As the fireworks have started for about a week now, every night is a nightmare, as she barks non stop inside and out. So yesterday went to vet for tranquilisers. Seems like most people there were for the same thing.
Interested if anyone has similar problems and how they are coping.

Sue

Dermot

Dermot Report 5 Nov 2014 16:52

Sue - regular tranquilisers used in this house plus a radio on to try to distract our dog from the happenings outside.

The trouble is that fireworks are not for just one evening - around here, they can go on for several days & mostly unexpectedly.

Luckily, at least one of the family remains indoors with him for the whole week.

Susan10146857

Susan10146857 Report 5 Nov 2014 17:18

When mine were pups I bought a noise CD specially for the purpose. not only does it acclimatise a dog to all traffic noises but also to fireworks. The way it works is that at first one turns the volume very low then gradually, during the space of 1-2 weeks the volume is so high that they become used to and ignore the sounds.

Also when pups, but can be done gradually even with older dogs, I was advised by my trainer to let them experience all sorts of sounds...ie; railway stations, dog agility comps....anywhere there is lots of noise.

I have to say that this also holds true with babies.....lots of noise in the house and a baby can sleep through anything, but tip toe around then make a noise....the baby wakes up, because it is not used to it.

Make sure you are calm when noises are going on and never let your dog feel your own distress. At no time should you to pet them.....just carry on as usual and let them see that there may be a noise but it is not a problem.....Try to make the noise time a fun time ......if you have the time.

Sue

Sue Report 5 Nov 2014 17:25

Thanks for replies. Yes, someone needs to stay in for the duration.
Problem Honey is 4 years old, and i guess a pattern has already been established. Still first tranquiliser taken an hour ago, and fireworks have started. !!

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 5 Nov 2014 17:35

Dobbys not happy with the fireworks and barks to

but my three cats are happy to sit on the cat stand near the windows
are watch them un bothered :-D :-D

Sue

Sue Report 5 Nov 2014 17:43

Aaaah bless their little cotton socks. :-) Cool cats.!

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 5 Nov 2014 18:05

My 3 cats - siblings - born here - are all different.
Betty will have a major panic, be it fireworks or thunder.
She used to fly out of the catflap - but soon realised the error of her ways.
Then she'd hide in the furthest corner of the cupboard under the stairs.
I started making sure that was closed. Then it was under my bed.
Then, when I had the side of the bath off, this was the perfect place!!

Now I have a sofa with legs and a valance bit, I encourage her under there. That way, I'm near and the TV/radio is on, as are the lights.
Unfortunately she's under the stairs at the moment, I left the door open :-(

George is (thanks to Betty) a bit disturbed by them. He has been known to join her under the bath and under my bed, but as long as I'm around, he stays with me.

Mister doesn't really care. He can disappear for days - but now he's older he still disappears, but tends to stay near to home when there are fireworks about.

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 5 Nov 2014 18:14

Poor wee things. I feel for them.
I'm not that happy with the noise either

I'm not going over the door tonight, and it's not because I don't like fireworks

It's the ENORMOUS full moon out there tonight that scares me:-S :-S :-S

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 5 Nov 2014 18:15

It's HUGE isn't it!!??

.....and it looks very cold.....

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 5 Nov 2014 19:35

you couldn't get Dobby out for a walk with a crow bar tonight :-D :-D

lavender

lavender Report 5 Nov 2014 20:07

Have been really lucky with our two border collies, they haven't been bothered by them. It must be a real nuisance. I guess it must be worse in the towns with more going off.

Sally

Sally Report 5 Nov 2014 20:23

I am lucky I have two cats and a dog

none of hem are frightend the dogs lkes a walk and wwhat ever noise the fireworks are making

sally w <3

Dame*Shelly*(

Dame*Shelly*("\(*o*)/") Report 5 Nov 2014 20:56

with my 7 month old pup so fare so good
fire works have not bothered her at all
not even when we had how own fire works in the garden earlier

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 5 Nov 2014 21:20

Poor Betty, just came out from under the stairs - after 5 hours.
I put food down - she went to go out the catflap (she usually 'does her business' before eating), and another round of b****y fireworks started :-| :-| :-|

So, not only is she hungry, she's also bursting - and under the sofa.

Sue

Sue Report 5 Nov 2014 22:05

Thanks everyone for some interesting stories, they all seem to have their own individual habits. Poor Betty.
The fireworks still going strong here in Southampton.
Must say the tranquilisers have only been mildly sucessful. Better than nothing., but considering consultation cost £30.00 ....

Didnt realise it was a full moon

:-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 5 Nov 2014 23:22

Betty came out from under the sofa at 10pm, and hasn't left me alone. I try to brush her before the fireworks start. When she's being brushed (the only one of the 3 who enjoys it), I can usually get her to calm down.

£30 consultation!!!! What a rip-off!

I used to live in Freemantle, Sue :-D

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 6 Nov 2014 09:22

Every year a week of hell for those with cats and small children. A week of hell for wild birds. Surely fireworks should only be sold to licensed displays. I would like to see an end to back garden fireworks at any time of the year. If we are in France in July another week of hell. One year thrown large bangers killed all our young swallows :-(

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 6 Nov 2014 09:54

I agree Rollo, private sales should stop, licensed displays only never going to happen though :-(

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 6 Nov 2014 10:41

Private sales could easily be killed off.

(1) by making it an offence to offer insurance covering firework displays on private property not carried out by a licensed expert.

(2) sales of fireworks only to licensed experts.

I like fireworks bigger the better. Like everything else there is a time and a place and it is not the end of the street and the back garden.

Annina

Annina Report 6 Nov 2014 12:39

I have six house cats and at least four ferals living round about my property and the last fortnight has been awful for them. We never close any doors inside,and have two cat flaps,also a litter tray for emergencies. All the local feline community therefore pass the word round that it is posh at the Froggatts,they have an indoor loo.and I will frequently find a perfectly strange cat performing in my kitchen,they also make use of any food left by my fat lot.

I would ban fireworks altogether,heaven knows how wildlife or farm animals cope.

Dont burn your money,give it to an animal charity,and maybe feel good about yourself.