General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Sydney Cafe Hostages

Page 0 + 1 of 4

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Allan

Allan Report 14 Dec 2014 23:41

http://www.news.com.au/national/a-man-is-holding-several-people-hostage-at-martin-place-cafe/story-fncynjr2-1227156241649

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 15 Dec 2014 01:54

watching it on tv, absolutely terrifying situation.

Allan

Allan Report 15 Dec 2014 02:01

I know Scozz :-(

Word has hit the UK. I was talking to Jem on a quiz thread when I heard the news and let her know.

Jem listened to the UK midnight news and it was being reported at that time

I hope that all the hostages get out safely

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 15 Dec 2014 02:32

nobody knows what's going on.

Lots of speculation, which is horrible and dangerous.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 15 Dec 2014 06:41

some of the hostages have escaped.... NOT released.

http://www.9news.com.au/national/2014/12/15/10/00/major-police-operation-in-sydneys-martin-place

Some of the commentators on TV should shut their mouths.

Allan

Allan Report 15 Dec 2014 07:26

I wonder why so few comments? :-S

Perhaps because it is happening half a world away :-(

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 15 Dec 2014 08:42

maybe because they're still in bed?

:-(

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 15 Dec 2014 08:43

sorry only just got up, will check it out now, have friends in sydney.

Allan

Allan Report 15 Dec 2014 08:48

Possibly, Scozz, I'm just feeling cranky in general :-(

Mersey

Mersey Report 15 Dec 2014 08:49

Just watching it now....!!! Terrifying......

:-0

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 15 Dec 2014 08:51

Terrifying for the hostages. I hope this is resolved safely for them. Please keep us informed.

Fly

Fly Report 15 Dec 2014 09:05

Hope all the hostages get out safely <3

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 15 Dec 2014 09:07

The media need to be very careful and responsible on how they handle this.

For example, it was being reported last night that one of the worker hostages, who was being forced to hold up the flag, was gesturing to her throat, in a knife slash manner.

What if he got to know she was doing this? It doesn't bear thinking about!

Poor people :-( :-( :-(

While it's absolutely wonderful that 5 people have managed to escape, how will this affect the situation for the hostages still inside?!

They are saying here that he is known to the police and the media.

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 15 Dec 2014 09:09

It would appear from all indications so far that this is a lone operator. The flag being used is not the ISIS flag so it could well be a rogue loner.
Whatever the background, it must be terrifying for those concerned - and sickening to see the number of people taking selfies and posting them on faceache and twitter.

Allan

Allan Report 15 Dec 2014 09:14

eRRol I am not on facebook or twitter, but if that is what people are doing it is totally abhorrent.

Whatever the circumstances of the situation, I cannot understand the mentality of those who take such pictures..not even for the proverbial 15 mins of fame

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 15 Dec 2014 09:14

I have been following the news about the hostage incident in Australia and my thoughts and prayers this morning go out to all those affected by this terrifying situation taking place in Sydney at the moment - some reports are alleging that the gunman has placed explosives in the café where the hostages are being held and in two other parts of the city, I hope these reports are unfounded and that the situation can be resolved peacefully without anyone being harmed in any way <3

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 15 Dec 2014 09:17

Allan it was reported overnight that people were doing that and I agree that it is abhorrent - though not entirely unexpected.

Allan

Allan Report 15 Dec 2014 09:22

Unfortunately eRRol I have to agree

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 15 Dec 2014 09:50

Thoughts and prayers for those innocent people <3

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 15 Dec 2014 09:51

there's a big story on msn, including photographs of the unfeeling people taking selfies near the cafe in Sydney.

http://www.9news.com.au/national/2014/12/15/17/19/outrage-over-sydney-siege-selfies

They should be named and shamed!

dreadful behaviour