General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Aldi liquers

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 23 Dec 2014 23:58

Alcohol lives a long and peaceful life in our house but the bottle of apricot brandy has finally been tipped into the cakes and we thought we might get another bottle of liquer so I picked up a couple of different orange ones in Aldi.

One of them, Esprit d'Orange is a real gin drinkers tipple, kind of bitter and deeply delicious but the other one, which is much like Cointreau, is so strong I can only drink about a dessertspoonful.

That should last us a few years!

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 24 Dec 2014 00:05

Your house sounds like ours.

The "booze" is in a cupboard (the beer & wine is in the fridge), and I honestly couldn't tell you when we last got a bottle out of the cupboard. I put one in there last week... because I won a bottle of Bayley's in a raffle :-D I must be one of the few women who don't really like Bayley's, to me it tastes like sour milk.

We don't drink very much at home....... not saying how much we drink when we go out.......but we'll be having a few tipples over the next couple of days, starting tonight. :-D

:-D

lavender

lavender Report 24 Dec 2014 00:21

Teetotal here (if you don't count an annual slurp of Baileys)!

Merry Christmas Sharron and All :-)

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 24 Dec 2014 00:21

I've noticed that, since the girls have grown up and flown the coop, my 'drinks cupboard' - the shelf under the cat food shelf, stays surprisingly full.
I still have a bottle of 'Archers', 2 bottles of whisky, 2 bottles of port, a whisky mead,(won at a bottle stall) which I'd like to open, but have no idea how long it will last once opened - one year, two? There's sloe gin, gin, brandy, and a bottle of low alcohol white wine (also a bottle stall acquisition)
Two weeks ago, I threw out a bottle of Lambrusco (remnant from when they lived here, brought round by a 'friend' of theirs), 3 out of date bottles of tonic water, and a bottle of squash (bottle stall)
I've recently added a few bottles of red wine - which I will definitely drink - and some tonic, in the hope I will drink it with the gin before it goes out of date, this time (the tonic water, that is), and some beer.

Allan

Allan Report 24 Dec 2014 03:44

Seriously, be careful of Bailey's and all drinks containing cream, eggs or milk: they have a use by date...check the bottles :-0

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 24 Dec 2014 06:25

somewhere......... I have a recipe for a boozy drink......... whisky, condensed milk & chocolate.......... even thinking of condensed milk makes me go ewwwwwww..... I'll have the whisky & chocolate :-D

When I open the bottle, should I keep it in the fridge?

Allan

Allan Report 24 Dec 2014 07:16

If you like, but there should be a use-by date on it, normally a couple of years :-)

I'll just have the whisky ;-) :-D :-D :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 24 Dec 2014 09:35

Mmmmmmm- condensed milk.
Used to love condensed milk sandwiches :-D
Second only to dripping on toast.

You can see how 'classy' I am :-D

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 24 Dec 2014 09:54

as classy as me Maggie :-D :-D :-D

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 24 Dec 2014 10:09

MAGGIE
DRIPPING ON TOAST SHOULD BE MADE A
VITAL FOOD MOUTH DROOLING,
AS FOR BOOZE HALF A GLASS AND I'VE
HAD IT,,,,CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE LOL

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 24 Dec 2014 10:09

MAGGIE
DRIPPING ON TOAST SHOULD BE MADE A
VITAL FOOD MOUTH DROOLING,
AS FOR BOOZE HALF A GLASS AND I'VE
HAD IT,,,,CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE LOL

Sharron

Sharron Report 24 Dec 2014 10:35

Take the top off a can of condensed milk, tip the contents into a blender.

Fill he can with whisky and tip that in the blender.

Do the same with single cream.

Put in a teaspoonful of instant coffee.

Give it a whizz and,voila, you have a pretty fine substitute for Bailey's.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 24 Dec 2014 10:43

We've a bottle of dry sherry in our cupboard bought for my father to have a tipple. He wasn't much of a drinker and died over 8 years ago!
It seems to good to use in cooking, but probably better than throwing it down the sink.

Tastes and fashions change, which is probably why we have opened bottles of some of the spirits. Waste not, want not. Cheers!

Sharron

Sharron Report 24 Dec 2014 10:58

I don't like wine but use it for cooking. OH has two bottles of red wine that somebody has given to him but we have decided is too good to cook with.

He won't open it because he would not drink the whole bottle quickly enough and I don't even cook with it very often.

I suppose it will just have to stay in the cupboard indefinitely along with the large bottle of sherry we bought for somebody as a thank you but who died before we could give it to them.

Dermot

Dermot Report 24 Dec 2014 11:15

'I had eighteen bottles of whiskey in my cellar and was told by my wife to empty the contents of each and every bottle down the sink, or else... I said I would and proceeded with the unpleasant task.

I withdrew the cork from the first bottle and pured the contents down the sink with the exception of one glass, which I drank. I then withdrew the cork from the second bottle and did likewise with it, with the exception of one glass, which I drank.

I then withdrew the cork from the third bottle and poured the whiskey down the sink which I drank. I pulled the cork from the fourth bottle down the sink and poured the bottle down the glass, which I drank.

I pulled the bottle from the cork of the next and drank one sink out of it, and threw the rest down the glass. I pulled the sink out of the next glass and poured the cork down the bottle.

Then I corked the sink with the glass, bottled the drink and drank the pour. When I had everything emptied, I steadied the house with one hand, counted the glasses, corks, bottles, and sinks with the other, which were twenty-nine, and as the houses came by I counted them again, and finally I had all the houses in one bottle, which I drank.

I'm not under tha affluence of incohol as some tinkle peep I am. I'm not half as thunk as you might drink. I fool so feelish I don't know who is me, and the drunker I stand here, the longer I get'.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 24 Dec 2014 11:19

:-D

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 24 Dec 2014 11:32

Our problem is not with booze but the blinking glasses it's weird I fill 'em up put 'em down and before, you can say "Just the one Mrs Wembley" it's leaked out and evaporated! Can't seem to see it happen so we simply have to keep topping them up! ;-) ;-) ;-)

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 24 Dec 2014 12:18

50 years ago we were living in Ghana, where we threw lots of parties and had a large selection of drinks.

They were duty-free and dirt cheap, and we brought home all the spirits/liqueurs. Because they were all opened bottles there was no Customs limit!!

Back home the partying slowed down a bit and the taste for liqueurs went out of fashion, so we still have part bottles of Cointreau, Cherry Brandy and a couple of others I can't remember. Very occasionally I have a Cherry Brandy and it is still fine. :-D :-D

Is that a record??

Merry Christmas, everyone. :-) :-) :-)

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 24 Dec 2014 12:59

I've got liqueurs from twenty odd years ago

Merlin

Merlin Report 24 Dec 2014 13:37

Sharron, Get a Brace of Pheasant Chuck them in a pot with Shallots and a Bottle of Red, bung it in the oven for a while, then enjoy the results, Happy Christmas.**M**. :-D :-D