General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Have you read Ladybird books?

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 14 Jan 2015 17:05

Dear All

Hello

Hope you are okay.

The Ladybird book series was launched in Leicestershire in the 19th Century.

Millions of illustrated books have been sold in the UK, covering everything
from history, science and fairytales to, more recently, e-books and popular brands such as Peppa Pig and Hello Kitty.

Did you read a Ladybird book when you were young or have you read one to a small person?

Take gentle care
With best wishes
Elizabeth, EOS
xx

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 14 Jan 2015 17:17

MY SON AND DAUGHTER WERE TAUGHT MY ME
I SHOULD SAY TO READ BEFORE STARTING SCHOOL WITH LADYBIRD BOOKS

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 14 Jan 2015 17:25

always bought Ladybird books for my son late sixties through early seventies - delightful little books, and so many of them

PollyinBrum

PollyinBrum Report 14 Jan 2015 17:26

Hello Elizabeth. My son had a full collection and loved his Ladybird books., It was part of our evening routine, me reading to him, and he would explain the pictures..

He is forty-seven now and still loves books , not Ladybird anymore, but they were where he got the reading bug.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 14 Jan 2015 18:03

I found a ladybird book - 'The Ugly Duckling' today, whilst doing some clearing :-D

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 14 Jan 2015 18:16

Quite often, I use them in adult literacy lessons.

It's a shame more people don't heed the grammar and spelling!

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 14 Jan 2015 18:34

ERROL
I'D RATHER CHILDREN READ THAN WORRY ABOUT
GRAMMAR AND SPELLING,
I KNOW YOU CAN TELL THAT BY ME,
BUT THEN I AM UNIQUE

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 14 Jan 2015 18:42

Grammar and spelling are extremely important in the workplace - that is why many companies insist on qualifications such as English GCSE.
That is not said to knock those who are not so good at grammar and spelling but to highlight the importance of at least striving to teach correct English.
Dizzi, you are indeed unique and nobody would ever wish you to change.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 14 Jan 2015 18:58

Ooh You Are Awful... But I Like You! Lack of grammar and spelling can indeed lead to who knows what.

BBC had a great program about Ladybird books recently
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03mp53s
which can be dug up out if iPlayer if you are good at that sort of thing. If not here is a clip
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDGgnJypjy0

I never quite jelled with Ladybird preferring lighter reading such as Edgar Allen Poe MR James and for practical matters Meccano Magazine and the Beano.

Failure to get up to speed with Ladybird and Janet & John could have dire consequences .....

"and now without furher ado it's back to ramblyng syd - who will now give his rendition of a popular ye olde englishe sea shanty....take it away syd....

What shall we do with the drunken nurker,
He’s bending his cordwangle.

Hit him in the nadgers with the bosun’s plunger,
Slap him on the grummitt with a wrought iron lunger,
Cuff him in the moolies with the Captain’s grungerrrrr....
Till his bodgers dangle.

(Kenneth Williams, Round the Horn)

Ladybird kept the impressionable youth of the UK away from this sort of thing while father larfed and mother burnt the roast beef.

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 14 Jan 2015 19:03

Indubitably.

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 14 Jan 2015 19:08

I have a bin bag full in the loft
the enormous turnip was my favourite :-D :-D

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 14 Jan 2015 19:14

Your favourite what?

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 14 Jan 2015 19:29

ladybird book :-0 :-0

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 14 Jan 2015 20:01

:-D

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 14 Jan 2015 20:24

Our children had a whole array of Ladybird books. They started on picture books, through Peter and Jane to books about what they were interested in.

We got a Ladybird book on cricket for an American friend of ours who was working with OH and wanted to know its history and rules. :-)

Anotheranninglos

Anotheranninglos Report 14 Jan 2015 21:37

I have over 400 of them, back in the 90's when OH was picking up die cast vehicles from the car boot i decided that I had to have something to go for. So I chose ladybird books. They are all on a shelf specially built to size by OH.

Anne

Annx

Annx Report 14 Jan 2015 22:00

I still have 'The Wise Robin' bought by my grandmother when I was about age 6. I loved it. You can tell because I looked after it. :-)

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 14 Jan 2015 23:35

I have several tucked away and remember my son enjoying them. I taught him to read from them too when he was quite young. Maybe one day I can do the same for his children

Lizx

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 18 Jan 2015 23:20

Dear All

Hello

Hope you are okay.

I am sorry I am a bit late returning to the post.

Thank you all very much for your replies.

I am very glad you have good memories of these lovely books.

One of the happiest sights is to watch a child learning to read.

Thank you all.

Take gentle care
With best wishes
Elizabeth, EOS
xx

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 19 Jan 2015 00:18

If my memory serves me right, the Janet and John books, though horrifyingly sexist 'John flies his kite, see Janet, see how John flies his kite', (you're a girl, what would you want with a kite?) then 'Janet goes home to help mummy with the dinner before daddy gets home', (and John finishes flying his kite) and many of the Ladybird books didn't contract words, or perhaps I should say, did not contract words.

Therefore, those of us forced to read this excruciating stuff (that is Janet and John. Ladybird books were good) at least know should've is should have and not should of (which it sounds like), could've is could have and didn't is did not, not a word - didunt - in it's own right :-D