General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Drones. Has anyone bought one

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Florence61

Florence61 Report 17 Jan 2015 22:44

A friend of my OH bought a Drone for xmas. He has been out flying it around and took some lovely pictures of the snow covered scenery. One picture looks down over a beach and there is a couple walking a dog.

You cant identify them really as its high above a cliff and the couple are some distance away.

There are laws on these to protect peoples privacy but it's not that clear.

Has anyone bought one of these and where do you use them?

What are your thoughts on them invading your privacy?

Florence
in the hebrides

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 17 Jan 2015 23:01

Would not buy one where I live because of the number of helicopters that fly around.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 17 Jan 2015 23:21

A friend (who lives near us) was "buzzed" by a drone. Not a happy chappy. It was right over his house, buzzing him while he was in the pool!

If anyone buzzes us we'll throw a rock at it.

If the owners of drones won't respect other people's privacy they'll get what they deserve.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 17 Jan 2015 23:54

My ex bought our 4 year old grandson a 'toy' drone.
I don't think it takes pictures!!

I think if anyone 'buzzed' me, I too would throw a stone at it. :-(

Florence61

Florence61 Report 18 Jan 2015 00:05

Well apparently in the Daily Telegraph today, there is an artcle about them and states, that if it weighs less than 20kg and is for private use, then you can fly them. However not within 50ft of a person and you cannot take pictures.

I would hate to think that if i was in my back garden sunbathing in private, one of these things was suddenly hovering over me and taking pictures.As who knows where the picture would end up!!

i think the law needs to be tightened up immediately re usage and re selling. maybe one should have to have a licence perhaps like you do if you own a gun?Or maybe just register that you own one and agree to using it with certain conditions. Not sure how it would be monitored though?

Florence
in the hebrides

Dame*Shelly*(

Dame*Shelly*("\(*o*)/") Report 18 Jan 2015 00:47

interesting as i did not no what a Drone was so had to google
to find out

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 18 Jan 2015 01:05

Real Estate agents use them to take aerial photographs of property. There have been cases of neighbouring houses with people sunbathing......and they were not amused when the photographs were published in newspapers and on the internet.

A friend of my brother has taken aerial photographs for many years (at least 30 years); he has model planes (fancy ones) with cameras that he operates remotely, the majority of his work has been for real estate.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 18 Jan 2015 09:28

OOh I wonder if they could sue the estate agent or insist the photos be removed?

Even when Google Earth shows pictures of your house, people and car number plates are blanked out.

Florence
in the hebrides.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 18 Jan 2015 09:56

Wouldn't think there would be many if any in this area near to MOD property and also an airport from where helicopters fly.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 18 Jan 2015 11:56

Think they are probably the most irresponsible 'toy' around.

And intrusive if they have video on them.

Merlin

Merlin Report 18 Jan 2015 14:10

Florence,A 12bore would solve the problem of invasion of privacy. :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Florence61

Florence61 Report 18 Jan 2015 15:45

:-D :-D :-D@merlin.

I just wonder how they are allowed to be sold to private individuals.

They have used them in nature programmes and gives the viewers a chance maybe to see some wild animals hidden up in mountains or just close ups that humans wouldnt be able to get to but that's different to flying over the neighbours garden and having a peek!

I think they should be banned from being sold to the general public.

Florence
in the hebrides :-P

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 18 Jan 2015 18:00

You can buy them from places like I want one of those etc

Kense

Kense Report 18 Jan 2015 20:47

To see the CAA rules about flying models and unmanned aircraft refer to:
http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=1995&pagetype=90

In particular the following rules apply, which should cover many of the worries expressed on this thread. Whether they are observed is another matter.

Article 167 – Small unmanned surveillance aircraft
‘(1) The person in charge of a small unmanned surveillance aircraft must not fly the
aircraft in any of the circumstances described in paragraph (2) except in
accordance with a permission issued by the CAA.

(2) The circumstances referred to in paragraph (1) are:
(a) over or within 150 metres of any congested area;
(b) over or within 150 metres of an organised open-air assembly of more than
1,000 persons;
(c) within 50 metres of any vessel, vehicle or structure which is not under the
control of the person in charge of the aircraft; or
(d) subject to paragraphs (3) and (4), within 50 metres of any person.

(3) Subject to paragraph (4), during take-off
or landing, a small unmanned surveillance
aircraft must not be flown within 30 metres of any person.

(4) Paragraphs (2)(d) and (3) do not apply to the person in charge of the small
unmanned surveillance aircraft or a person under the control of the person in
charge of the aircraft

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 19 Jan 2015 09:13

Will there be a run on net curtains as more of these take to the skies?

Florence61

Florence61 Report 19 Jan 2015 18:32

Well it makes one wonder just what is spying on us.

I actually have nets in all the windows as the thought of bare windows and someone being able to see in really isnt worth thinking about.

Florence
in the hebrides

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 20 Jan 2015 10:02

20 Kg? that a bag of spuds flying over you........seem to recall that normal model aircraft were limited to 5 Kg ........12 Lbs.........

unless it was a special Large model aircraft........in which case at the time it needed two transmitters and pilots, one flying the plane and the other controlling the engines......

BrianW

BrianW Report 20 Jan 2015 15:11

As KenSE says, there are clear rules which, if adhered to, should address any concerns.
Personally, I am more worried by the idiots who drive a car's length from my back bumper in the dark and rain!

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 20 Jan 2015 20:24

they are easily available here ............... and they have quite regularly been spotted flying near airports, dangerously close to aircraft of all sizes.

The press regularly prints warnings, and re-prints the rules!

Just before Christmas, someone sent up a drone in a part of this city that is heavily built up with high rise apartments ................. someone on the 16th floor found the drone buzzing around outside his windows!

He took photos of it, and notified the media (as well as the police) ..................... that led to others in the neighbourhood reporting having also seen the drone

and to police advice that it was illegal, and any drone operator caught would be charged.

No-one was sure if the drone carried a camera or was taking photos ................. but imagine being on a very high floor of a high rise and seeing one of those things????

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 20 Jan 2015 20:32

I lived with one once.